PDA

View Full Version : Clay Paver Trivia

Stonehenge
05-04-2001, 10:39 PM
I met with a customer tonight. They want clay, but they like the look of Unilock's Classico pavers (concrete pavers in shapes that allow for laying circle patterns, fans, etc).

I could swear I remember seeing a brochure for a company that offered clay pavers in this style, but can't think of it.

Can anyone help?

greens1
05-04-2001, 11:04 PM
I remember seeing a similar product in clay. I think the company was called Gavin. They were hand made and pretty expensive, as I recall. I will see if I can locate a broshure.
Jim L

Rex Mann
05-05-2001, 01:31 AM
Stonehenge,

Why do they want clay pavers?

Those are hand made and are about 4.50 square foot.

Rex

greens1
05-05-2001, 10:16 AM
I was actually wondering the same thing myself. If they like the classico look, why not go with classico ?
Jim L

Stonehenge
05-05-2001, 10:25 AM
The market here is a bit polarized. There are a few suppliers that have been for years filling the radio airwaves with reasons why clay is better than concrete, and to a degree it has worked. There are some customers that will just not hear of putting concrete pavers in their patios.

Colorfastness is the major reason they state for wanting clay (though sand moldeds lose color more quickly than any concrete paver).

So I end up with people sighing and saying, 'boy, that looks neat, but only if it weren't concrete.'

As for the price, that doesn't scare me too much. Some people will pay for that look.

But I thought the ones I remembered seeing in a brochure were extruded, and maybe chamfered.

greens1
05-05-2001, 10:30 AM
I am going to my stone supplier later today. I will ask him if he has seen anything in the market that matches what you are after.
Good Luck,
Jim L

ianc
05-06-2001, 10:20 AM
I picked up a brochure at the CENTS show for Pine Hall Brick
1-800-334-8689 in NC

Clay pavers have a real classy look to them! - I used to install the McFarren Clay pavers and they had what they called sewers which were rectangular pavers with one side tapered so you could create a arc - could'nt get any better that a 12' radius with them - good for sweeping walkways - defenitly to much work to get them into a classico style

Clay pavers have slag fillings enbedded to hold the paver together - will spark when being cut

Stonehenge
06-19-2001, 07:33 PM
Okay - here's our answer....

Glen-Gery makes something called a Circular Patio Kit. They are offered in 4 colors, and the kits come with enough brick for 12' or 14' patios (I assume they mean 12' or 14' diam).

They appear to be sand-molded. What's funny is the supplier where I found the info, their paver guy didn't even know about them until I showed him his brochure! :eek:

So, I've got them ordering some samples...One more trick for the bag... :blob3: