PDA

View Full Version : Simply exhausted

Dirty Water
04-01-2006, 11:28 PM
My father in law passed away last year, so I've been doing all I can to make sure my mother in law lives comfortably.

She asked how much it would cost to have me put in a irrigation system for her, because she was tired of dragging hoses around.

After some thought, I decided to do it for cost of parts only, and on a weekend by myself.

Anyways, I started this morning. Its small, 4 zones, 3 sprayhead (5 heads, 6 heads and 6 heads...limited gpm at 50 psi here) and one 5 head rotor zone. Everything plowed.

I got the first 3 zones in today, the POC, and the mainline and valves. I'm exhausted. I've forgotten what its like to do all the digging :laugh: gotta love having grunt help :)

All PVC, all plowed.

I'm going back tommorow to do the last zone, hang the timer and install a yard hydrant in her back yard. I haven't been this tired in a while.

DanaMac
04-02-2006, 10:06 AM
I hear ya. After not doing an install in about 3-4 years, we just did an addition to one on a couple of five acre lots. I was tired, and sore. Good thing it only took us about 42 hours, instead of the projected 82 hours. We did work harder because we knew a snow storm was approaching soon.

I absolutely hate installs. I don't have the patience to be on a job for more than a few hours.

SprinklerGuy
04-02-2006, 10:30 AM
jon...that is a good thing you are doing.

Dirty Water
04-03-2006, 12:53 AM
What a day....

Not quite finished up, but almost there.

My wife pitched in today and was a big help :)

Everything is in. I used a old Rainbird ESP-8si that I had laying around after a customer outgrew it as a timer (keeping the cost down), that was a mistake, after I had it hung and wire fished through the garage wall I discovered that it had a stuck button, and was unusable. I'll be replacing it monday night.

Other than that, I need to backfill a valvebox and adjust one last zone and its done...I've had enough charity work, back to making money.

My Mother in law is very happy though. Nothing like sweating your rear off for two days and then seeing each zone pop up :)

PurpHaze
04-03-2006, 08:25 AM
jon...that is a good thing you are doing.

I agree. It's times like this we should be grateful that our elders ask for our help. :clapping:

PurpHaze
04-03-2006, 08:27 AM
My Mother in law is very happy though. Nothing like sweating your rear off for two days and then seeing each zone pop up :)

Welcome back to the grunt world. :laugh:

Your wife should also be very grateful for you helping her mother out. :drinkup:

BSME
04-03-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm sure you can get your hands on a cheap digital timer...

but I just took out a mechanical rainbird timer (4 zones I think) that you can have... not sure if it's worth the shipping though

Dirty Water
04-03-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm sure you can get your hands on a cheap digital timer...

but I just took out a mechanical rainbird timer (4 zones I think) that you can have... not sure if it's worth the shipping though

I have a pile of other used timers, the best looking one of the bunch was the faulty ESP-8Si....Heh.

I think I'm going to install a old hardie/irritrol 6 station RainDial...should be fine.