PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your sick or need a couple days off?

Full throttle lawn care
04-02-2006, 11:32 AM
How do you handle your clients when you can't make it? :cry:

Full throttle lawn care
04-02-2006, 11:38 AM
I've been sick sense Thursday but only have a few clients that will be easy to make up. What do you guys do when your booked solid? Do you tell them you can't make it this week?

JJLandscapes
04-02-2006, 11:38 AM
you always make it unless u cant move... but i have a partner and one worker so they just cover my end for a week and work longer hours but i give my salary for the week to them or if i find another worker pay them to work a week..

CutInEdge Lawn Care
04-02-2006, 11:46 AM
I have worked thru broken bones, high fevers, chills, phnemonia. However, knock on some very good wood, I have been on a streak for the last 15 yrs and hope things continue. Here's to a good season all.

Full throttle lawn care
04-02-2006, 11:50 AM
I have a stomach virus. I soiled my shorts twice last night:clapping: I feel much better today but it's been a rough few days.

BCSteel
04-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I've been sick sense Thursday but only have a few clients that will be easy to make up. What do you guys do when your booked solid? Do you tell them you can't make it this week?

Sick day, whats a sick day? If your not so sick that you can still come on here and ask about it, your good enough to go out and get some work done. Cant make it for a whole week :hammerhead: Hmmm... time to find a new job with a fixed schedule and wage.

Suck it up or hire help if you your worried about losing customers.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
04-02-2006, 11:55 AM
If you are really sick take the day off. Make up for it on another day (longer days, weekend). We try not to take off unless we really have too.

topsites
04-02-2006, 11:59 AM
You work hard, eat well, sleep good, don't catch pneumonia or heat-stroke but do work when it's below 94 degrees and don't be afraid to go shirt-less while working up a sweat in 40-degree weather and you should be one tough, rugged individual that doesn't get sick.

Far as days off, I need one, I take one.
But I can't do that just anytime, some thought or planning may be required.
If you can afford to do it, that is.

Translation: If your prices are high enough, you have leisure time. :laugh: <- don't go too high !

qualitylawnmanagement
04-02-2006, 01:13 PM
In this type of work there are no sick days unless you have employees working for you.

newz7151
04-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Schedule your sick days on the days when it is pouring rain outside.

Dunn's
04-02-2006, 01:41 PM
How do you handle your clients when you can't make it? :cry: Dont want to sound sexist but you are a guy aren't you, because I'm pretty sure guys dont need sick days unless your dying but then you need a lot more than sick days!

sheshovel
04-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Everybody gets moved back and you call your customers to let them know your sick.Then work extra hours of days tell you catch up.Or you get somebody to do your lawns for you.

HOOLIE
04-02-2006, 02:38 PM
I remember working one day, so sick that I would barf into a Super Big Gulp cup between lawns :dizzy: OK so maybe I didn't pull a full day that day :) But I tried, you never know what you can do til you try.

cleancutccl
04-02-2006, 02:50 PM
get sick in the winter, work through it in the growing season. Its what you got to do.

PMLAWN
04-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Schedule your sick days on the days when it is pouring rain outside.

Good Answer!!

StBalor
04-02-2006, 03:34 PM
I broke my arm last year playing with my 12year old son. He had a ball and i was trying to take it from him, fell and broke my arm. I did not even take time off to go to the doctors. My arm was swollen and black and blue for weeks. I could not use my 36" walk behind so i used the 21" for a few weeks with 1 hand. When i had a helper, i just trimmed. Also with 1 hand.He would have to start it for me. A few of my clients Would come outside with sheets and arm slings, but i would not take them, i could not even move my arrm, i had to hold it close to my body like i was pledging allegiance to the flag.
It finally healed and 1 day i was installing a ceiling fan my elbow locked up on me and hurt like hell. Now that scared me, but a few minutes later i was alright.
Most Buisiness owners will do whatever it takes to make money when they can and to do whatever it takes to complete the job. Usually not stopping for any sickness or pain.

Full throttle lawn care
04-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Man you guys are hard core:weightlifter: Long story short, days off are not an option and if you fall behind catch back up.:dizzy:

J&L-lawncare
04-02-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't have time to get sick. here in the deep south, the summer temps get up to 100 degrees plus and the winters are very short. this past winter it only got below freezing twice for a couple of hours. I don't git much down time during winter. But when it happens I make up with longers hours and get friends and family to help. I've helped a friend cut his yards once because he had broken his leg. Heh I jokingly to him to I'd duck tape him to his Z-turn. :usflag:

sheshovel
04-02-2006, 07:23 PM
NEVER EVER WORK WITH A BROKEN LIMB!That is just not smart.Your arm may not have healed right..you could have had blood clots let loose from the injury and get up to your brain and cause stroke or to your heart and cause heart failure.Or you could have gotten gangreen in the arm and had to have it removed.Guys if you hurt yourselves..seek medical help that will fix the injury right..and ddo it right away or you could die.Or end up a cripple for the rest of your lives.What the poster did was not tough..
it was taking a big chance unnecessarily

marionlandscape
04-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I am so sick right now I can hardly move but I am still here at work and it is even a Sunday evening.

Full throttle lawn care
04-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Not having health insurance brings out the tough guy in anyone.:drinkup:

jtkplc
04-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah, there are sometimes when you just have to work through it. It's not fun, but if you're solo you don't really have a choice. If I absolutely couldn't work, I would find a friend or someone to help me out.

chriscraft
04-02-2006, 09:35 PM
My wife worked till 8th month of pregnancy and i had to lay her off, I work thru it unless im at the morgue,we have employees but i still like to be there

mike lane lawn care
04-02-2006, 09:48 PM
i had to cancel a HUGE job yesterday and today, i was so sick that icould not even move. the guy understood, but i still felt bad for canceling. bad news, it's supposed to rain for several days, so, i won't be able to get the job done till wendsday

StBalor
04-02-2006, 10:48 PM
NEVER EVER WORK WITH A BROKEN LIMB!That is just not smart.Your arm may not have healed right..you could have had blood clots let loose from the injury and get up to your brain and cause stroke or to your heart and cause heart failure.Or you could have gotten gangreen in the arm and had to have it removed.Guys if you hurt yourselves..seek medical help that will fix the injury right..and ddo it right away or you could die.Or end up a cripple for the rest of your lives.What the poster did was not tough..
it was taking a big chance unnecessarily

Yes, i am not telling anyone to do what i did. I was merely trying to show that When you are a buisiness owner you may have to endure a bit more pain then someone who works for someone else and needs to go home for a hang nail.

DynaMow
04-02-2006, 11:29 PM
How about back surgery on thusday and back to work four days later on monday.
Doc said part of recovery was to stand as much as possible so i figured it was easier to go to work then to stand at home watching tv. worked out ok.

LawnBrother
04-03-2006, 12:39 PM
You should be actively networking with other lawn care companies, it is a very healthy thing to do for your business. You can learn a lot, share referrals, and make some friends. If you are in a serious situation where you can not work, you should be able to call on some of your contacts to help you out and service some of your accounts. If you can, always have someone you know you can depend on to help out if you need it. One of the things I learned my first year in business is to always have a backup if you can (equip, vehicle, labor). You never know when you will need it. Hope you feel better soon.

daveintoledo
04-03-2006, 02:14 PM
unless your on your death bed you work.... days off????? you get those in the winter , no days off during the season....

6'7 330
04-03-2006, 02:26 PM
That is why I have employees,to do the work in the field.

Critical Care
04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
You should be actively networking with other lawn care companies, it is a very healthy thing to do for your business. You can learn a lot, share referrals, and make some friends. If you are in a serious situation where you can not work, you should be able to call on some of your contacts to help you out and service some of your accounts. If you can, always have someone you know you can depend on to help out if you need it. One of the things I learned my first year in business is to always have a backup if you can (equip, vehicle, labor). You never know when you will need it. Hope you feel better soon.

You touched upon an important thing. For part of a season a number of landscape companies in the area serviced one persons accounts for free because he was in the hospital with cancer. I serviced a couple of his clients while others handled the rest. Perhaps this was just an exception to the normal dog eat dog world, but wouldn't it be nice if it always worked this way.

This season I'm having to work through tendonitis in an arm and elbow. I'm hoping that it will go away in a few more months, but for right now it sure is making a lot of this work unpleasant. Grin and bear it.

sheshovel
04-03-2006, 03:51 PM
agreed Stbaylor and I was just making sure none of these younger guys got the idea that what you did was ok to do.So no hard feelings at all intended.

StBalor
04-03-2006, 07:19 PM
No problem, You ain't the only 1 that got on me for it. Along with most of my clients, my mom and my girlfriend, they all kept trying to get me to go to the hospital. But now my kids think i am superman and invinsible. Damn, i hate to see their eyes when they find out i'm not.

firelwn
04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Broken Ankle and fractured wrist one of those :drinkup: times. still had to go out on Monday and do the rutine. :usflag: they just call me the hobler now.

Evergreenpros
04-03-2006, 10:35 PM
I try and never get behind. I purposely don't have a full working schedule as I like to spend a day or so per week finding more profitable clients instead of grunting out some low profit accounts during that time.

When you work by yourself you have to have equipment that saves work:

1. Ramp/gate assist for the trailer, best money I ever spent.
2. Light handhelds
3. Larger mower with sulky/stander/rider in case I injure myself
4. Work ahead whenever possible to build in 2-3 days a week (including weekends) where you can catch up if need be.
5. Build customer relations so you can skip a mow or so if you absolutely have to.
6. Make it a priority to NOT injure yourself. Don't push yourself too hard, don't lift insanely heavy things, drink lots of water, eat throughout the day. Just work smart.
7. And try not to eat out very much as it's ok to work sick/hurt but trying to work with a case of food poisioning is impossible.
8. Don't do anything in a hurry or when you're agitated, as this is when 90% of accidents happen.
9. Buy a super pair of boots, money should be no object because if your feet go out you're done.
10. I never do anything unless I have full work clothes on, safety glasses, gloves, ear protection, and head protection. I won't even mow my own lawn without this stuff anymore. I even wear it when I do pruning/bedwork. Can never be too safe.

When you make money with your body you have to take care of it and it will last a very long time. Usually people who bow out in their later years abused their bodies in their youth. I know guys who work everyday and they're in their 70's and 80's so it can be done.

dtelawncare
04-04-2006, 11:01 PM
The bug reason I have got into this biz is so I can be home more when my family is home. I also plan on going on vacation for a week. What is the best way to approach customers about their lawns getting a little tall? I know how to catch up on the work.

StBalor
04-05-2006, 07:39 PM
The bug reason I have got into this biz is so I can be home more when my family is home. I also plan on going on vacation for a week. What is the best way to approach customers about their lawns getting a little tall? I know how to catch up on the work.

Going on vacation? i have not had 1 of those in years, unless you call winter, vacation?

dtelawncare
04-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, I have two girls, 6 and 5 and I will be definately taking them on a vacation to the beach every year. They are the reason for me getting into this business.

Dunn's
04-06-2006, 01:27 AM
You can work with a broken arm when I was in R.I.P Ranger Indoctrination Procees this guy on my stick Sgt Gorman I believe. trip in the first two miles of our last hump well if you get hurt you have to recycle back to the begining when you heal. So we thought he just sprained it. So when we get to the finish not to much later here he comes marching in like nothings wrong we thought he dropped out for sure. so a little later we go over to him and asked what happened with his foot/ankle he said nothing as he was tugging off his boot. To our surprise he took a roll of 100 mile an hour tape (Its like duct tape but a little better) and wrapped his foot,ankle and calf with the entire roll thats alot of tapeand you could still tell his foot was swelling through the tape. we found out he had bokren it in to spots and shattered it in another.Oh yeah it was over 25 miles he marched with over 100 pounds on his back with that meesed up foot man thats tough slightly crazy but tough. well anyway he made it through R.I.P. ranger school,then scuba he later made it into delta and nothing was permanantly wrong. Lets face it men where made to work hurt.

K.Carothers
04-06-2006, 01:59 AM

I respect your attitude about family. Being able to spend time with the family is very important.

As far as taking time off, how many customers do you have? When does the grass slow down? Do you know anyone in the business- maybe work out a swap deal.

If you can't find anyone to help, just tell your customers you are going away for the week and you will catch up the next.

Remember that kids are only kids once and they don't remember the money - only the time spent.

Good luck,

kc

grassmasterdawn
04-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Sick day, whats a sick day? If your not so sick that you can still come on here and ask about it, your good enough to go out and get some work done. Cant make it for a whole week :hammerhead: Hmmm... time to find a new job with a fixed schedule and wage.

Suck it up or hire help if you your worried about losing customers.

There is definitely a difference between soiling your shorts while sitting in front of a computer in your own home and soiling them on a riding mower in a customer's front yard.:)

Bgaz
04-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Had my left hip replaced in December 2004. Missed few days in March, but mowing by April!:weightlifter:

hillibilly
04-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Well what about vactions? I am going with my family to Orlando for 10 days this summer. I am planning on just working all day the last couple of days I am here then mow them the firts day I come back.