PDA

View Full Version : Good idea for escavation?

DanThompson
04-02-2006, 11:50 AM
I have been doing hardscapes for a couple years with the company i work for in MD, and lately I have been getting a few side jobs for sidewalks and patios. I own all of the equipment necessary to complete a hardscape job, but I don't own a bobcat to excavate. I think I came up with a pretty good solution to make the job much easier by using my Brown trenchmaster edger with a 7'' rotor on it to make slots in the ground, and then prying the dirt in between the slots out. It makes for a perfect looking excavation with no damage to the yard. Me and one helper did the work in the picture in one 8 hour day.
http://www.droplight.50g.com/escavated.jpg
The left of the sidewalk will be a raised plant bed by the way.
Do you guys think this is a good idea for a small company who cant get their hands on a bobcat quite yet?

GreenMonster
04-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I think I'd rather rent a Bobcat.

DanThompson
04-02-2006, 02:46 PM
well..i dont have a trailer either and to rent a decent sized bobcat and trailer its like $250/day. doing it this way lowers your cost and leaves no damage to the yard. more work..yes

GreenMonster
04-02-2006, 02:52 PM
what do you do with your spoils? My concern is more about loading spoils into a wheelbarrow, and then into a truck -- all by hand:cry: . Also, installing 5,6,7, or more ton of gravel by hand seems is a lot of work.

What about renting a mini-skid? Line up your jobs and rent it for a week at a time.

DanThompson
04-02-2006, 04:05 PM
in this case it was easy to take care of the removed dirt because we just had to throw it to the side where the plant bed is going, and eventually till it up. as far as the cr6, the ground was dug out at 7'' and theres 400SF...so I have 10 tons ordered for delivery. also the ground was just about as hard as concrete, and i doubt a mini bobcat or dingo would even want to look at it. i would definitely rent a machine if it were to be loaded on a truck or carried somewhere far away.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-02-2006, 04:13 PM
when i started i didnt have a machine so i used my troy built tiller to make the footing for some wall jobs i had and it worked great and no big mess
i still use it in tight spaces where the loader wont fit

GreenMonster
04-02-2006, 04:50 PM
when i started i didnt have a machine so i used my troy built tiller to make the footing for some wall jobs i had and it worked great and no big mess
i still use it in tight spaces where the loader wont fit

oh man, my first job was a small patio (200 ft2 or so) that I tilled to loosen the base, and loaded the spoils into a gator. trucked it to the back of the lot and dumped on site.

Boy that sucked.

neversatisfiedj
04-02-2006, 06:00 PM
If you do a 300 sq walk .You will have 5 ton of dirt to put in flower beds !

DanThompson
04-02-2006, 06:38 PM
haha yeah it is a lot of dirt..5 tons or more. but were going to till it, take out as much as necessary and then rake it.
http://www.droplight.50g.com/escavated.jpg
lets see if the picture works this time

Mike33
04-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Rent a bobcat. By the way i live about 200 miles west of you so i really dont care, i would be carefull doing side jobs. One thing your going to piss off your boss and second in Md. you need a MHIC. licence to do any of this stuff. Be careful if you dont have them it is a felony and when you get done the job the homeowner does not have to pay you. I would be careful also making posts in places like this if thats the case. If you have them fine, just giving advise.
Mike

DanThompson
04-02-2006, 10:08 PM
ok ill delete my account and hope i dont get arrested

grassyfras
04-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Ya you guys need to relax no one is going to go after this guy just cause he said something on the internet. Its one thing if he mentions murder or something like that.

Mike33
04-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Ya you guys need to relax no one is going to go after this guy just cause he said something on the internet. Its one thing if he mentions murder or something like that.
I dont know? I seen a real domb ass over the winter saying he was in business , plowed commercial and didnt file tax returns. I would be careful not to advertise some things on the net?
mike