PDA

View Full Version : Busted Irrigation in NC

cwlawley
04-02-2006, 06:26 PM
So this lady hires me to plant some ground cover plants in Apex, NC. I plant the plants and three days later she calls and tells me her irrigation system is busted under one of the plants. She has found some busted pieces of PVC she says and water is spewing all over. I do not do irrigation repairs as I do not know how. However, I am insured for this just in case. The lady never told me she had irrigation much less where it ran.

My question is, hearing just the information I gave how much could a repair cost? Also, does anyone in NC area on this site do these repairs, as I would trust them more than any other misc. customer.

Thank you for the responses.

Runner
04-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Simple fix. Go see what size pipe she has running through the bed there (you have to dig it up where the break is and also arond it a bit. you go get a coupling, which is a piece of pipe that will go around it. It slides on one end of the pipe, then slides on the other end. It might be a piece that goes INSIDE the pipe. Two bandclamps (pipeclamps go on over eack end and you're good to go. Buy yourself a pvc pipe cutter (looks like a pair of handpruners). Also, take a propane torch with you to heat up the pipe JUST A LITTLE BIT - Do NOT melt it!). You just go over it very lightly and at a distance. This softens the pie up for the other piece to slide into it. It will take you a few minutes for the whole procedure, and save you alot of money for a service call by an irrigation company (which by the way, would come out and do the same thing).

sheshovel
04-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Well tell her to turn the water off 1st!

ed2hess
04-02-2006, 08:41 PM
You got to fix this thing youself or you will get a bill probably near $85 or even more. It is a SIMPLE fix...there are couplers at Home Depot for PVC and if if it is flex pipe they probably have connectors for it also.

cwlawley
04-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Okay. That sounds good. I was thinking it would be a little harder but I think you're all right. I'll go and look at it myself.