PDA

View Full Version : Using A Tractor To Install Mulch

danslawncare
04-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Do any of you use a tractor to install mulch? I have a 06 John Deere 3520 I just bought to do installs, and was wondering if I could use it to install mulch? It does not have AG tires. Thanks for your input.

Jamesgateslandscaping
04-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Used my John Deere 445 to do mulch, 27 yards in under 4 hours....that should tell you that it helps with productivity:weightlifter: . Will prob. use the New Holland to do mulch also, depending on property.
James

danslawncare
04-02-2006, 10:11 PM
My tractor is almost identical to your New Holland.

sheshovel
04-02-2006, 10:13 PM
I wouldent drive one over a clients lawn to do it..that's for sure!

olderthandirt
04-02-2006, 10:20 PM
yep use 2 differnt ones depending on size of job. And have a special mulch trailor holds 4 yds made to pull behind the quad when the ground is soft.

danslawncare
04-02-2006, 11:29 PM
wouldn't you agree as long as it's not rutting it would be fine. Would you justify it to the customer by saying "if we leave ruts we will fix them, or aerate for free" and always give them a lower price then if it had to be done by hand?

olderthandirt
04-02-2006, 11:34 PM
wouldn't you agree as long as it's not rutting it would be fine

Thats the only part I would agree with in your statement

JB1
04-03-2006, 12:07 AM
if its a big enough job, we will use the tractor, makes life easier.

gammon landscaping
04-03-2006, 01:29 AM
we did 25 yards saterday we did it in 6 hours but we had to wheelbarrow about 5 yards through a gate for the swimming pool area. main thing is just not run in the same track every time change you path every trip so that you don't damage the turf. it rain for about an hour while we were working and we did no damage at all. it was a small 26hp koiti

danslawncare
04-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Do you inform customers you will be using a tractor? How do you stop them from going nuts when you show up with one? When they see mine, they are like "you plan on taking that huge thing across my lawn?" Again, most of these people have never seen a real tractor.

danslawncare
04-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I guess my real question is how do you convince someone to let you use it? Olderthendirt, you seem to have vast knowledge in this subject matter.

olderthandirt
04-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I guess my real question is how do you convince someone to let you use it? Olderthendirt, you seem to have vast knowledge in this subject matter.

I don't really try and convince them, My contract states that I'm to do XXXXXX and its at my discretion on the fastest and best method to accomplish the work.

But thats why I won't use one if its gonna leave ruts. Then I have to take the time and fix the ruts and it pizzes the customer off :nono:

dutchman
04-03-2006, 06:32 PM
we did 25 yards saterday we did it in 6 hours but we had to wheelbarrow about 5 yards through a gate for the swimming pool area. main thing is just not run in the same track every time change you path every trip so that you don't damage the turf. it rain for about an hour while we were working and we did no damage at all. it was a small 26hp koiti

How many people???

danslawncare
04-03-2006, 08:00 PM
I can't speak for him, but me and 1 employee and my good ole Jonny Popper can do that easily in 6 hours. By the way, thanks for the response olderthendirt.:)