PDA

View Full Version : What can I do about sand and little stones...

Freddy_Kruger
04-02-2006, 11:51 PM
that are left behind when the snow banks melt?

I never thought about that till I went and looked at a customers property, he's my snow customer, he wants me to power rake but it is a corner lot. As the snow banks melt they are leaving quite a lot of sand and crap. I'm thinking either a scoop hand rake or a heavy duty broom. I don't have a power broom and I don't want to run a brand new power raker through it...

Not quite sure what I should do that would be the easiest.

BSDeality
04-03-2006, 12:25 AM
a power broom is the only way to go to get the crap out from the snow banks, i have one, working on adding a second one this season too.

ECS
04-03-2006, 02:29 AM
Power broom or a lot of very intense and hard raking.

Runner
04-03-2006, 03:39 AM
Yep. The powerbroom with the rubber paddled drum is the ONLY way to go. I raked piled, and removed it with flat shovels for years and years (about 15, as a matter of fact. Then, I got the powerbroom and never looked back. It is unbelievable how these things work in ditches.

Grn Mtn
04-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Definately the rubber paddled power brooms, work like a charm.

Freddy_Kruger
04-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Yep. The powerbroom with the rubber paddled drum is the ONLY way to go. I raked piled, and removed it with flat shovels for years and years (about 15, as a matter of fact. Then, I got the powerbroom and never looked back. It is unbelievable how these things work in ditches.
I think I will stick to doing it by hand this first season. The initial cost of this little venture, coupled with the fact I'm not sure how many customers I get makes we want to pass on that rubber broom. It costs 8 hundred bucks here.

What about a high quality stiff broom for Home Depot? there best broom cost 50 bucks.

Runner
04-04-2006, 12:06 AM
No, a broom won't do it. A rake is your best bet if you don't have the power unit.

jt5019
04-04-2006, 12:31 AM
A rake will work it just takes a little more time and energy.

Freddy_Kruger
04-04-2006, 01:11 AM
No broom then. I got a ship load of flyers and an ad starting near the end of the week if I get a bunch of work I'll get that power broom.

Just so I know that we're on the same page, the power broom I was looking at was about the size of a trimmer but it had rubber on the bottom instead of the bristles.
I was a little disapointed when I went to go see it, I had a vision in my head of something about the size of a snow blower. But that's a little over board for me I think. I mean if the little one is 800 bucks...

Roger
04-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Steel-tined rakes, lots of hard work!

Freddy_Kruger
04-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Screw it I decided to get a power broom. Already put it on my flyers.

BSDeality
04-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Excellent! you'll really love the job it does. What model did you get?

Freddy_Kruger
04-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Excellent! you'll really love the job it does. What model did you get?
I haven't bought it yet but when I was negotiating for a mower and power rake a 22" bluebird (the guy gave me a deal) I checked them out. I think one was shindawa and stihl, they had the rubber spinning things. I only really remember the price $800 bucks:dizzy: but I think I can shave a hundred off that price, well maybe 50. I figure I got a better chance of a deal now with the lawn mower and Power rake deal on the fence. Good people that dealer I'm going with, I think they have been in business for 55 years.

My first lawn care ads go out on thurs, the following week 11,000 flyers and the newspaper ad again. Still snow on the ground here, melting fast though. My window cleaning customers are starting to phone.:clapping:

I'll likely buy all that lawn care stuff on sat or monday.

BSDeality
04-04-2006, 10:55 PM
I prefer the Shindaiwa over the stihl personally. I really like the new 4stroke'r, but the 2stroke one I have still runs like a top too.

Freddy_Kruger
04-05-2006, 01:14 AM
I prefer the Shindaiwa over the stihl personally. I really like the new 4stroke'r, but the 2stroke one I have still runs like a top too.
I think it was the shindaiwa that the sales rep said could be altered into a hedge trimmer (even though I was actually asking him if it could be an EDGER). I'm going to have to keep that 2 stroke 4 stroke thing in mind, some of the sales reps I've been talking to were even talking about a 2 stroke mower. I have to make sure I don't get stuck with crap. Nothing but the best for my customers.:cool2: