PDA

View Full Version : Getting plates for trailer

Dunn's
04-03-2006, 01:18 AM
hey guys I'm going to get plates on my trailer tomorrow. I know this is a stupid question but do you need insurance on a trailer to get plates. I'm in Missouri if that matters, and I cant find anything about it on the DMV's website. Any help you guys could give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

barny82
04-03-2006, 01:35 AM
I just got my plate for my trailor on friday. I didn't need to have insurance. It was a home made trailor that I bought from a friend. I did have to get a VIN# put on the trailor befor I could get a plate but that was all. It might depend on the weight of your trailor to though now that I think about it. I have a single axle trailor. It is 5'x9' and super light. Really I have no clue if the weight matters at all. I just know that I didn't need insurrance.

Dunn's
04-03-2006, 01:36 AM
thanks for the information but do canada's laws work like ours? I am unsure:confused:

barny82
04-03-2006, 01:47 AM
thanks for the information but do canada's laws work like ours? I am unsure:confused:

come on canada is the 53 state, not mexico :canadaflag: we drive on the right side of the road and contrary to popular belife. We are not all getting around on dog sleds. :usflag:

I am sure there might be some differnces in our road laws, call you local registery they will answer you questing in a matter of seconds.

Dunn's
04-03-2006, 01:49 AM
lol I know I have just never been there met some Canadian Air Force once in training though!

FearThisDeere
04-03-2006, 07:00 AM
In Mass, you do not need insurance for the trailer, but it needs to go on your truck insurance that you will be pulling a trailer. It is like $6 a year or something. Also, if you tell them that the trailer is below 3,000 lb. GVW. you do not need a new title.

lawnsplus
04-03-2006, 07:58 AM
If Mo is anything like Illinois, you need insurance. In this great state, your trailor is not covered by the vehicle insurance, you need a seperate policy.

Even worse is that the police here love to pull over landscapers because they always find a violation or three..

No insurance on trailer, or no business license for that community, or no general liabilty coverage, community minimums here are $500,000 / $1,000,000 and you must name the village as an additionally insured.

Load of crap if you ask me.

Oh well... gotta do what ya gotta do to stay legal. (and protected)

chevytrucks84
04-03-2006, 10:02 AM
If Mo is anything like Illinois, you need insurance. In this great state, your trailor is not covered by the vehicle insurance, you need a seperate policy.

Even worse is that the police here love to pull over landscapers because they always find a violation or three..

No insurance on trailer, or no business license for that community, or no general liabilty coverage, community minimums here are $500,000 / $1,000,000 and you must name the village as an additionally insured.

Load of crap if you ask me.

Oh well... gotta do what ya gotta do to stay legal. (and protected)

Are you sure about this???

I am in IL also and my insurance company told me that you do not need insurance on your trailer by law. The liabilty part is covered by the vehicle pulling the trailers' insurance but any collision damage to your trailer itself will not be covered. So if you want your trailer covered it must be insured but it is up to you.

Sunshine Lawn Co
04-03-2006, 10:04 AM
When i got my truck insurance i asked about trailer insurance. My agent told me i don't need it it's covered by the vehicle towing it.

proenterprises
04-03-2006, 10:47 AM
In CT I did not need separate insurance for the trailer registration.

Dunn's
04-03-2006, 11:37 AM
hey lawns plus thankfully I am not In Illinois, or ever will be to blue of a state.

dougmartin2003
04-03-2006, 05:23 PM
i am also in missouri. and no you do not need insurance for your trailor to get tags for it.

Signature Landscaping1
04-03-2006, 08:45 PM
I have been pulling my trailer without a plate all summer. I better go get another one. Lost the first one on the highway.

grandview (2006)
04-03-2006, 08:51 PM
In NY your going to need insurance on your trailer. Also the DOT are going after the guys who are running Maine plates.

RonB
04-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Never bought a trailer tag in my life and never been stopped for not having one. I'd guess 90% of'em around here have no tags either.

kingofbling
04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Never bought a trailer tag in my life and never been stopped for not having one. I'd guess 90% of'em around here have no tags either.

True. I was talking with the DMV lady when i got my tags a few weeks ago, and i asked her why trailers needed tags (i mean they have a VIN#), she went on to tell me the only reason our state Texas (not sure about you other guys) make trailers have plates is because the state wants anything that travels on county roads (even if it does not have a engine) to pay taxes yearly. The "county tax" in my area is $10 per year plus the re-newing of the registration.

I know a guy who has been running his trailer for 4 years and never got tags for it.

rfed32
04-03-2006, 11:40 PM
i had to show prof of insurance on my truck when i got my plate for my trialer