PDA

View Full Version : I little help

thomsoutdoor
04-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I am usually on the pesticide thread but I thought this question would be more up the Irrigation alley then the pesticide form. This question is actually for myself at my house. I would like to know where I can get an electric switch that I can hook up to my hose so I can turn off/on the water with a switch or motion sensor. I have a problem with everybody in the neighborhood likes to walk their dog by my house and let the dogs relieve themselves on my bushes. 3 out of the 20 lyd cypresses are starting to die. Plus it would give my wife something to do.
Thanks
Mark

BSME
04-03-2006, 12:38 PM
oh man...

I have one of these

http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?item_id=885&promo=google

for deer that eat the garden... they work really well...

you can buy them in about a thousand different places

thomsoutdoor
04-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks BSME,
I checked out the motion censored sprinkler and the would do the trick. I was trying to be more creative and design my own. I found a few electronically control switches from a farming/nursery place. I am trying to have it hidden a little bit. I hate to see someone walking off with a $70 sprinkler head. Thier are going to a few upset/wet dog owners.

BSME
04-03-2006, 06:06 PM
yea it'd be easy enough to design your own... I'd use a maxi because they are quick and make a lot of noise... It'd be sure to get the area wet... if you use a slow gear rotor they'd have to be right in the line of fire..

that sprinkler scarecrow is just a cheap motion sensor hooked up to a 9v battery with a 3/4'' (i think) valve

sheshovel
04-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Yea they are well worth the $$ I use them for deer around here..The company is out of Canada and any problems and they send you the parts right away and they are easy to fix.I'd say I have bought about 25 units throughout the past 6 years.I doubt you will be able to make one work like you are planning to do yourself.Not worth the hassle..just break down and spend 70 bucks you won't be sorry.

SprinklerGuy
04-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Around here the elk would snap that thing in half......so would the deer....you guys have such tiny deer....they are so cute! ;)

PurpHaze
04-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Around here the elk would snap that thing in half......so would the deer....you guys have such tiny deer....they are so cute! ;)

LOL... Hopefully the cabin fever will start alleviating itself shortly Tony. :laugh:

bicmudpuppy
04-04-2006, 03:17 PM
A security light motion sensor wired through a solenoid valve connected directly to a 24v transformer would turn on a water source for you. I would suggest connecting it to a hose bib and using a fast moving hose end sprinkler that you could strategically position and re-locate. If you can find a waterproof motion sensor, you could tape a single pair bell wire to the garden hose and the motion sensor could be very near the sprinkler head.

thomsoutdoor
04-04-2006, 07:37 PM
bicmudpuppy,
Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking. Do you of a good supplier. What I've found so far it looks like maybe $40 for each of the switches. Is their a supplier that specializes in this stuff?

sheshovel
04-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Our little deer would too but I straap the units to long pieces of rebar and drive them deep in the ground. plus they cant get close to um witout getting sprayed anyways..I am purty smarter than a daandg deer!

VWBOBD
04-11-2006, 03:25 AM
Spray The Ground Around Your Bushes With Ammonia Weekly, Good For Plants And Dogs Absolutely Hate It, Burns The Hell Out Of Thier Noses, They Wont Piss On Your Bushes Again. Dillute It 1/1.
I Use Ammonia Dilluted On My Grass To Help It Green Up And It Works Wonders In Keeping The Dogs Away, I Cannot Smell It Myself, So The Odor Will Not Be Noticed By Humans :)

bicmudpuppy
04-11-2006, 08:45 AM
bicmudpuppy,
Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking. Do you of a good supplier. What I've found so far it looks like maybe $40 for each of the switches. Is their a supplier that specializes in this stuff?
I need to find more time to read here more often again. Try Grainger. I don't know they have them, but when I need something "different" in the electrical line, that is where I start. I really like their float switches for pond applications. They should have a decent price on a motion detector switch.