PDA

View Full Version : 6" Main connection

Johnson_inc
04-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Have a condo complex installation coming up in a month or so, and need to get the plumbing part of it approved by the city. I was wondering if I could get some input for you guys on what should be used to connect to the 6" main.

Here's the info on it. 6" PVC Class 160 is main water supply to the complex. I need to branch off of it with a 3" PVC Class 160 to supply the irrigation system.

A couple of things that are most probably different in this situation than what most of you are used to. I'm up north in Montreal so the main line is approx. 4-5' deep to remain under the frost line. This is the first time I've ever had to connect to a supply line which was outside, since the water meters are inside the house/building, all my POC have been inside to this point. I cannot connect to the main line inside anywhere since it branches off outside to each condo building and by the time it gets inside its 1".

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott Johnson
www.johnsonirrigation.com

Dirty Water
04-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Use a 6" saddle tee. We had to tap 2 6" mains last year at the same time. Called up our supplier for 6" saddle tee's (First time for us on 6" lines) and they were cool enough to send their rep out to help us do it.

If you cannot shut the main down while you do the tap, you can use a tapping machine to hot tap it. (Basicly, you drill through a valve and then shut the valve before removing the tap machine).

If you can't get your sales rep to bring a tap machine out, then sub it out to a excavation company that installs residential water mains, they can do it for you.

Might be worth it anyways to save on digging a massive hole if you don't have a mini-ex.

Anyways, our typical setup is the 6" saddle tee with a 2" outlet, a 2" FORD Curbstob. We like to use all brass to the backflow, so we would use a brass nipple and a few fittings to get to the backflow, and then use a 2"x3" male adapter on the other side.

What is your plan for a backflow since your in deep freeze area? If DC's are allowed you could put one in a deep pit.

PurpHaze
04-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Use a 6" saddle tee.

Agreed... service or tap saddle. If not familiar with these then sub it out.

If DC's are allowed you could put one in a deep pit.

BBQ time??? :laugh: