PDA

View Full Version : Scotts Halts/crabgrass...

Brothers-One
04-03-2006, 05:33 PM
It has just finished raining here.It has been raining for the last 24hrs off/on.When is the best time to put down this Halts w/crabgrass preventer.Its 4:30 pm and the sun is shining now.Should I wait till it dries up a little? It is suppose to be sunny tomorrow. Thanks.

J&R Landscaping
04-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Does the package say anything about when to apply it? Read the directions, that should lead you in the right direction!

Necroshine
04-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Apply it to a dry ground and water her in really well. As long as your temperatures aren't hitting 80 Degrees yet, you should be ok. :dancing:
This should last you 3-5 months depending on how heavy you put it down.

mow2nd
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Omg............are U A Homeowner?

Brothers-One
04-04-2006, 08:41 AM
No......putting it down for my landlady. Thanks.

daveintoledo
04-04-2006, 08:53 AM
i just dont get it, do you really not know, or not care that what your doing is highly illegal...... you have to be LICENSED to do this.... and if your licenced you whould have the knowledge.......

lawnsplus
04-04-2006, 10:04 AM
i just dont get it, do you really not know, or not care that what your doing is highly illegal...... you have to be LICENSED to do this.... and if your licenced you whould have the knowledge.......

Dave,

I ahve seen you say this in several posts, and quite frankly you are wrong, at least in Illinois you are wrong.

Per the Illinois state department of agriculture and the state deparment of professional regulations, "you do not need a license to apply chemicals or pesticides that are readily available via retail outlets" although you are encouraged to follow the manufacturers recomendations for application, as you are liable if you use the product in a manner inconsistent with its lable.

Just my .02!!!

Move out of Ohio!!

daveintoledo
04-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Dave,

I ahve seen you say this in several posts, and quite frankly you are wrong, at least in Illinois you are wrong.

Per the Illinois state department of agriculture and the state deparment of professional regulations, "you do not need a license to apply chemicals or pesticides that are readily available via retail outlets" although you are encouraged to follow the manufacturers recomendations for application, as you are liable if you use the product in a manner inconsistent with its lable.

Just my .02!!!

Move out of Ohio!!

right here on your web site from the state dept of ag....

State law requires anyone in Illinois applying general-use and restricted-use pesticides in the course of employment be licensed. Persons applying restricted-use pesticides on property they own or control must have a*private applicator license. Persons applying general-use pesticides on their own property are exempt from licensing requirements.

It is a responsibility of the Illinois Department of Agriculture to license people applying pesticides outdoors and in agricultural production. The University of Illinois Cooperative Extension Service provides training and study materials. on and on.....

i believe the term general use.... applies to scotts, and other brand of store bought pesticides...

lawnsplus
04-04-2006, 11:41 AM
right here on your web site from the state dept of ag....

State law requires anyone in Illinois applying general-use and restricted-use pesticides in the course of employment be licensed. Persons applying restricted-use pesticides on property they own or control must have a*private applicator license. Persons applying general-use pesticides on their own property are exempt from licensing requirements.

It is a responsibility of the Illinois Department of Agriculture to license people applying pesticides outdoors and in agricultural production. The University of Illinois Cooperative Extension Service provides training and study materials. on and on.....

i believe the term general use.... applies to scotts, and other brand of store bought pesticides...

I stand corrected, to an extenent.

I just got off the phone with the department of ag and they informed me that fertilizer products do not require licensing. However should you "be trying to kill anything that is alive" you must be licensed.

Thus weed and feed requires a license.

In Illinois it is a test that must be taken and then licensing will be issued.

daveintoledo
04-04-2006, 01:13 PM

I just got off the phone with the department of ag and they informed me that fertilizer products do not require licensing. However should you "be trying to kill anything that is alive" you must be licensed.

scotts , all four steps, has a herbacide, or pesticide, so license is required in most all states

daveintoledo
04-04-2006, 01:14 PM

scotts , all four steps, has a herbacide, or pesticide, so license is required in most all states...otherwise without the weed control, your just fertilizing the weeds.....

mow2nd
04-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Basically, if you wanna call yourself a PROFESSIONAL, then you should already know what the heck your doin. If you dont have a clue, then you aint nothing but a lawn boy. There are more "Lawn boys" on this site than "PROFESSIONALS"

M RASCOE&SONS
04-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Basically, if you wanna call yourself a PROFESSIONAL, then you should already know what the heck your doin. If you dont have a clue, then you aint nothing but a lawn boy. There are more "Lawn boys" on this site than "PROFESSIONALS"
I THOUGHT THIS SITE WAS TO HELP PEOPLE , NOT THROW OUT INSULTS .SOUNDS LIKE DADDY DIDNT TEACH YOU ANY RESPECT .ANYWAY WHATS YOUR DEFINITION OF LAWNBOY?:hammerhead:

rockandroller
04-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Who give a sh## if the guy is licensed or not. If he breaks the rules and gets caught, then he learns the lesson. This site is supposed to be an open forum to find out information and get , or answer questions by users. Maybe a question is dumb, so what? Don't answer it! The guy asked how to apply the stuff, not whether or not he needs to be licensed. If you don't want to answer the question, then don't, but why do you feel you need to be a policeman in this situation.

This sh## happens way to often on this site. Why don't those of you who don't have anything better to do than go off on someone, or ask non-related questions to posited questions get a life!

On another note...If you're not sure about the guidelines for application, you should always check the label the manufacturer provides. It's pretty straightforward from there.

MRGreenstuff
04-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Who give a sh## if the guy is licensed or not. If he breaks the rules and gets caught, then he learns the lesson. This site is supposed to be an open forum to find out information and get , or answer questions by users. Maybe a question is dumb, so what? Don't answer it! The guy asked how to apply the stuff, not whether or not he needs to be licensed. If you don't want to answer the question, then don't, but why do you feel you need to be a policeman in this situation.

This sh## happens way to often on this site. Why don't those of you who don't have anything better to do than go off on someone, or ask non-related questions to posited questions get a life!

On another note...If you're not sure about the guidelines for application, you should always check the label the manufacturer provides. It's pretty straightforward from there.

Well said!:laugh: :clapping:

howardsells2000
04-04-2006, 08:21 PM
I agree with rockandroller. This site is supposed to help people just starting out. "Just Starting Out" means we ask questions that you might think are dumb but if your a professional reading this site hopefully you are here to help us, not make fun or hinder us.

mow2nd
04-04-2006, 09:10 PM
I dont respect anybody in this business who thinks all u do is buy a mower and now you're a professional. Just because I can give my Daughter Tylenol dont make a Doctor.

Xterminator
04-04-2006, 09:27 PM
I dont respect anybody in this business who thinks all u do is buy a mower and now you're a professional. Just because I can give my Daughter Tylenol dont make a Doctor.
or a spreader and a spray rig. There are to many people spraying illegal around here, and it sounds like everywhere. If they went to school and learned what to do people would not mind helping occasionally. when someone tells you its illegal you get upset they wont tell you what they spent years learning. If you pay attention and read the label it will tell you what you need to Know

M RASCOE&SONS
04-04-2006, 10:26 PM
I DONT RESPECT PUNKS WHO JUST BAD MOUTH PEOPLE FOR ASKIN A QUESTION ,THIS IS A FORUM WHERE WE COME TO GET INSIGHT ON ALL ASPECTS OF THE INDUSTRY AND TIME AFTER TIME KIDS COME IN HERE TAKEN CHEAP SHOTS AT PEOPLE WHEN ALL THEY HAD TO DO IS GIVE SOME GOOD INPUT.THERE IS NO FU@#IN SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND HELP IF YOU CAN AND IF NOT GO SIT IN FRONT OF YOUR MIRROR AND PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK AND TELL YOURSELF YOUR A PROFESSIONAL AND YOU HAD 3 YRS AT SPRAY SCHOOL AND YOU GOT 9 CREWS YADDA YADDA YADDA.:usflag:

daveintoledo
04-04-2006, 10:51 PM
the man didnt know the rules, now he does, he can make his own decision....(THAT IS WHAT THIS SITE IS ABOUT).....information... you may not like the answers you receive, but the are factual and honest, not patronizing..... yes little johnny, you can apply anything you want to the lawn...... no one will mind......:dizzy:

its amazing how many people are suprised when they find out this needs a license... for gods sake, here its 25 bucks for the study material and a few more to take the test......

one man gang
04-04-2006, 10:52 PM

Dude, this is grass not medicine. I love this professional stuff. You take test a 5 year old can pass and that makes you a professional? I'm licensed and It was probably the easiest test I ever took. Get over yourself. If you cut,trim,edge and fertilize grass the bottom line is your a lawn boy. How many other professionals lose accounts when the clients kid turns 13? And as others have stated this is a beginners thread, if you don't want to help don't read these threads.
P. S. I just came from a guys house who's lawn was ruined by licensed,certified big time professional. He'da been better off with the kid down the block.

S3Scooter
04-05-2006, 09:42 AM
the man didnt know the rules, now he does, he can make his own decision....(THAT IS WHAT THIS SITE IS ABOUT).....information... you may not like the answers you receive, but the are factual and honest, not patronizing..... yes little johnny, you can apply anything you want to the lawn...... no one will mind......:dizzy:

its amazing how many people are suprised when they find out this needs a license... for gods sake, here its 25 bucks for the study material and a few more to take the test......
For the record "kinder and gentler Dave". You started this whole wast of a thread. Yes you did provide him with good information that we all should know, but it is the way you chose to do it that fired everybody up.

daveintoledo
04-05-2006, 10:06 AM
For the record "kinder and gentler Dave". You started this whole wast of a thread. Yes you did provide him with good information that we all should know, but it is the way you chose to do it that fired everybody up.

i didnt start the thread.... there is at least one post everyday reguarding illegal use of pesticides...... read them.....and im not the one who disrespected anyone , i dont see anyone fired up.... still dont see anyone fired up......

my information, is accurate, and to the point, im not stroking anyone so they feel better, dont like it, dont read it.... plain and simple......

K.Carothers
04-05-2006, 12:17 PM

I think you have a complex problem.

What kind of questions were you asking when you first started out???

Lighten up my friend.

kc

mow2nd
04-05-2006, 07:34 PM
When I started my business I already knew what I was doing, versus these guys who start a business and dont know what they are doing and get on here asking dumb a55 questions. Go to Turf school or get few years of working experience with a TRUE PROFESSIONAL. DUH......Only reason people jumpin on me is because they dont know they are doing either. The TRUE PROFESSIONAL in this business will agree with me. And as I said before there are more "LAWN BOYS" on here than "PROFESSIONALS".

I'm done...........

one man gang
04-05-2006, 08:48 PM
".

I'm done...........[/QUOTE]

We wish

Brothers-One
04-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks, eveyone that responded. I guess the next time I will read the instructions....Oh yeah....Thanks Dave....... for nothing.

wski4fun
04-05-2006, 11:08 PM
If you have a local garden center or landscape supply house just ask them. They are happy to help and don't ask if you are lic. They also know the new products out there and you may get a mor complete answer then on this site. I sometimes think that it would make a good reality show to put 15 co. in an area that can only support one and see who lasts. The winner gets a pest. lic. lol