PDA

View Full Version : Removing lava rock

Joel B.
04-03-2006, 07:58 PM
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this so please feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

I have a customer who wants me to remove lava rock from an area approximately 100' X 3' X 2-3" deep. I cannot think of a more miserable job so I wanted to get some opinions on what to charge. I am figuring 1 or 2 people with hand tools. Also, once I have all this rock in my truck..........what do I do with it?

Thank you for any opinions and advice,

Joel B.

PSUturf
04-03-2006, 10:23 PM
If by some rare chance the rock is clean you might be able to find someone who would reuse it. More than likely it will be contaminated and you will probably have to landfill it. I think I would charge about $600 for removal and disposal.

Joel B.
04-03-2006, 11:51 PM
If by some rare chance the rock is clean you might be able to find someone who would reuse it. More than likely it will be contaminated and you will probably have to landfill it. I think I would charge about $600 for removal and disposal.

What could it be contaminated with?

sheshovel
04-03-2006, 11:53 PM
I was going to say $500.00 plus a charge for removing it..I would take it home..pressure wash it and resell it to somebody..if not charge him disposal fees and take it to the dump.

burns60
04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
I don't think you can charge enough. I had to remove a bed of marble chips once, and only half the size of your "headache" and I vowed to bypass any such project in the future. You will probably lose some good help if they have to do this job.

There should be a law against using the stuff.

Joel B.
04-04-2006, 12:28 AM
I was going to say $500.00 plus a charge for removing it..I would take it home..pressure wash it and resell it to somebody..if not charge him disposal fees and take it to the dump.

This may seem painfully obvious to some but....why would I pressure wash the rock? Am I just getting the dirt and grass off the rock so it looks nice or am I washing of something toxic or dangerous? Hence my previous question about contamination.

Thank you,

Joel B.

sheshovel
04-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Weed seeds,dirt and debri that can harbor them

Dirty Water
04-04-2006, 12:31 AM
I hate that stuff so much.

Theres nothing worse than only having 1" or so of it, and doing a drip install and trying to bury the tubing in it.

Gaaaah.

Joel B.
04-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Weed seeds,dirt and debri that can harbor them

That's what I thought, thanks.