PDA

View Full Version : Stick Grass

ArboristSite
05-05-2001, 07:01 PM
Stick Grass. Can anyone tell me about this form of grass? My mother read about it. Here is our situation at her house. Its been invaded by ducks, which she likes. She gets over 500 a day and the grass is wearing out everywhere. We have a limited water supply in the summer to water. She lives in Colorado and has a lot clay. So to sum things up, we are looking for a grass that can take abuse, little water, direct sun and is in a clay soil. I am not saying we dont water at all but I havent installed the sprinkler there yet, its on a well and its on an acre property. So she has to drag the hose everywhere. But in very dry weather we dont water much as the water supply is limited. The base fluctuates a lot in the well. Even if stick grass isnt the answer, fill me in on it. Thanks for your help!

lawnboy82
05-08-2001, 12:02 AM
for the ducks and geese you can get some fencing and put that up. that may cull the herd a bit. as for the turf i dont know what to tell you. maybe get some cacti. cause if you are in all clay and it is very dry where you are, not to mention the fact that you are not gonna irrigate a lot you are gonna have a hard time retaining plant available water. the clay size particles will tie up all the water to where the plant cannot use it. best i can say is get a couple of cactuses.

ArboristSite
05-08-2001, 01:04 AM
Well, like I said, we arent trying to get rid of the ducks. We actually had grass there last year. I looked pretty good. They are building a golf course nearby and trashed the lake they used to go to. Now they come over to the pond at my moms. It tears up the ground pretty good. Should I use a non compaction system. I think thats whats happening. I also still need some info on the stick grass.

greens1
05-11-2001, 09:24 PM
I have never heard of stick grass. If you can find the botanical name I may have more info. As far as the grass is concerned, I would:

(1) core aerate
(2) blow and remove the plugs in the most heavily compacted areas
(3) topdress and drag with soil amendment or crumb rubber

Jim L