PDA

View Full Version : When is it too late for commercial bids

Gnyus
04-03-2006, 09:33 PM
I planned to do all my commercial bids 2 weeks ago but i fell behind due to death in close family :( . Today I went out to do a couples estimates and handout bids, out of 9 bid, 2 alrdy had contracts signed for lawncare and 7 didn't tell me anything about having it signed. For those 7, the managers wasn't available or away and I talked to the secretary.

Am I too late? the mowing season starts in about 5-6 weeks.

Thanks

ODwyerPW
04-04-2006, 01:08 AM
In my area, Upstate NY, mowing starts in about 2 weeks. We have been doing cleanups for a full 2 weeks already, into the 3rd now.

The commercial clients who are soliciting bids now are those who have put it off to the last minute. They don't attatch allot of value to lawncare. They will be basing their decision solely on price.

You may not be at that point yet in Canada, but time is running out. You'll have to really step up your efforts and see many people.

Do you have a handy brochure (flyer, or trifold) you can leave behind? Do you have a nice capabilities statement you can leave behind with them? Are you leaving business cards? Make sure you follow up with a phone call a few days later to make sure your materials were shown to the decision makers at these places of business.

I leave all 3. The business card slots neatly in the full color tri-fold brochure and the capabilities statement is folded neatly and placed inside the triflold brochure.
It's not expensive to do this. One little old lady lawn job for the year will pay for 500 of each. There are sites all over the internet that can print and ship to you in a matter of a few days.

Gnyus
04-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info!
My package includes business card, this years doorhanger (describing our capabilities), the bids and what it includes, and a sample contract.

GreenUtah
04-04-2006, 05:21 PM
actually, it's only too late when the season ends. Miss the spring rush, it's ok, keep your eyes on the properties that look ratty, have a contractor who can't seem to keep a schedule, etc. etc. etc. As long as there are properties being serviced, either by contractor or inhouse staff, there is available churn for those looking for it.

procut
04-04-2006, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't nessesarily say that its too late. I've seen quite a few places wait untill the last minute.