PDA

View Full Version : Best Trimer Line

Green-Cuts
04-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Hello

I have an echo SRM-210 and was wondering what is the best trim line that most people get. The echo line seems to not last very long and breaks easy.
Thanks
BJ

bradluvsjesus
04-04-2006, 01:07 AM
definitly something called "gatorline" or some like that. it is amazing junk. it has "aramid" inside it. aramid is the steel inside tires and used in bullet proof clothing. it is just a small thread of steel but it makes the line super super durable. whatever you use - don't use silent - twist line or crap like that = forget how loud your line is , also whatever you do , do not, do not, get plastic line - always go with nylon, but i recommend gatorline or something comprable:clapping:

bradluvsjesus
04-04-2006, 01:12 AM
oh yeah, one more thing, i have that exact same weed-eater and i've had mine for a year. the clutch is already going out because i was really new at it and i would rev the weed-eater really high then slower then high , etc. my clutch is beat. pick a speed and kind stick with it if you can - all the way is the best, but sometimes is more dangerous. next time , go with a stihl km 110 R very good machine!!!!

Green-Cuts
04-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi
Were is the best place to get gator line and what is the best size? I have heard that bigger last longer but smaller cuts better because it can go faster?

Thanks
BJ

Lawn Masters
04-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I just use the Husky orange stuff. it works fine for me in .095 size. I had the Titanium Force stuff, which was GREAT to me when cutting, just avoid fences with it.

GreenUtah
04-04-2006, 04:38 PM
you can make your trim line perform better, regardless of brand, by storing it in water until you are ready to use it. These products are meant to break down when exposed to air and sunlight. Think about how much trim line you see laying around on a property, even though you know there has been years of line breaking off there. Keep it in the water and you'll have a more pliable, flexible line, not so prone to shattering. Double or triple your use on a roll this way.

ed2hess
04-04-2006, 09:28 PM
oh yeah, one more thing, i have that exact same weed-eater and i've had mine for a year. the clutch is already going out because i was really new at it and i would rev the weed-eater really high then slower then high , etc. my clutch is beat. pick a speed and kind stick with it if you can - all the way is the best, but sometimes is more dangerous. next time , go with a stihl km 110 R very good machine!!!!
Hard to believe a clutch is out in one year?? Are you sure it isn't just the spring that holds the shoes together?

Dweezil
04-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Always have had great luck with this at work:

http://www.stens.com/dealernet/catalog.html?sType=4&cat=4-57&part=380469

We only use about half as much as we were with the crap we used to run

TURF DOCTOR
04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Do you order the stens line from a dealer.

Dweezil
04-05-2006, 11:05 PM
I work at a rental store and we order it directly from Stens.

robbo521
04-06-2006, 01:32 AM
trim line is like fishing line,keep it wet and it does the best!

Green-Cuts
04-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi

How do you keep it wet at all times? What will the trim line do to the fences?
I have seen it scratch my own fence is that what you are talking about or does the better stuff do more damage?

Thanks
BJ

lawnsplus
04-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Shop on eBay for gator trimmer line and blades. (thats what I do...)

I have seen fences that looked like something chewed on the posts etc..

Trimmer line damage..Cannot be avoided just minimized.

We keep a small can of stain in the same color as our customers fences in on the trailer at all times, once a month or so as needed we touch up along the bottom of the fence, water it down alot. Small touch and goes a long way!!

Final option, convince your customers with fences to allow you to use round up along the fence. And then cut out the additional trimming, we give a $2.50 per week discount if they let us use round up. We add $5.00 per week to all yards with fences anyway.:usflag:

Green-Cuts
04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Hello

Is gator the best kind you can get and is 3lb Spool Oregon Magnum Gator Line, string trimmer .095 for $27.50 a good buy?

Thanks
BJ

GreenUtah
04-06-2006, 04:24 PM
you don't have to keep it wet all the time, just until the day you are ready to use it. a five gallon bucket full of water works just fine for most large spools. Give it a try, soak some line and leave some out. See how long it takes for there to be a difference in how flexible the line is. The only way to avoid marking up fencing with your trimmer is to not be near it. A roundup line is common, otherwise, you can get down on your hands and knees with a pair of grass shears. If a customer wants that, there had better be a brinks truck in the driveway as far as I'm concerned..lol...rpm will equal damage regardless of diameter of line or type.

Fireball the wall
04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I am currently using a Stihl straight shaft trimmer. It is amazing and I would recomend it to anyone.

topsites
04-06-2006, 10:12 PM
For weed-eaters, my srm-260s is now in it's 4th year, full-time use. Thou I must admit it is getting to be a pita to start, it is still the best trimmer I ever bought.

For line, here's what I would recommend:
Buy several smaller spools of various kinds of line and try each one of them out, all different kinds because everybody likes different stuff - See which one you like the best.

Once you find the one you like the best, buy that same kind of line but that's on a big nasty black hard plastic spool: The smaller spool costs 20 dollars and easily lasts 4-5 years. The large spool costs 40 dollars and will likely outlast your business, you decide.

In the end, remember they sell line by weight so thickness isn't important as far as price because thinner lines you get more miles of string while the thicker line doesn't wear out as fast = Bottom line: It evens out far as wear and cost.

I use .080 (or maybe 085) instead of 095 because it is lighter and allows higher rpms, thus easier on the clutch and engine. But that's me because I like to let out SOME LINE (about a foot either side of the head).

ed2hess
04-06-2006, 10:13 PM
I think the problem with some of this trimmer line is that it sets on the shelf somewhere in a hot environment and drys out. I never buy the spools because too much chance of a bad lot.....so far the Honda cord seems to be okay all the time, but it hasn't been in production very long.

Green-Cuts
04-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Hey
EDHESS

If you don't buy the spools what do you buy and were do you get the honda trim line?

Thanks
BJ