PDA

View Full Version : brake light in dash on

tilly
05-05-2001, 10:56 PM
I have 2 1990's and the brake light in the dash comes on and flickers for ahwile then stays on. If you push the emergency brake in the light gets brighter. The only way I can get it to shut off is if I unplug the wire that runs to the master cylinder then plug it back in, it will stay off for a couple of days. Anyone else with the same problems?

racerdave
05-06-2001, 10:08 AM
I get this problem every now and then. Probably because of the racer in me, I use ALL the brakes lol. What happens is I cook the brake fluid. When its cooked it breaks down and becomes somewhat compressable (just a little spongy on the pedal). Take your truck in and have the brakes power bled from the master cylinder. This has worked well for me, and in my neck of the woods, in runs about $50. for this service.

They will try to talk you into other work. But stick to your guns and have them bleed the fluid. If you can, watch them do it. They always seem amazed that this works lol.

John DiMartino
05-06-2001, 12:08 PM
The ABS flickering is the ABS computer spitting out codes,it flickers in sequence-it will fash up to 12 codes,if you take it to a shop they will be able to count the flashes,and look up the codes,and that will give them an idea as to the area of the problem-it may be an electrical problem,not a hydraulic problem.The little ABS computer on the proportioning valve goes bad quite a bit on the early ones,so my guess is the board is getting wet or shorting out,but thats just an educated guess.Good luck.

thelawnguy
05-07-2001, 09:48 PM
My buddys 91 astro does this, its a bad abs controller or solenoid on his van, but with 201,000 miles he has decided to just put a piece of black tape on the dash lol...