PDA

View Full Version : sod measurement

fishindude
04-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I had a customer call and ask for an estimate to sod her backyard. I told her i would come over and take some measurements. I did a sod job the previous week, but the measurement were basic 1800sqft in rectangular form, but this new customers yard has a pool and I am not sure how to measure or determine proper sqft when there are like 20 measurements. I took measurements of every line I saw. Example 24', 36', 2', 10' 12' 4', etc. It goes on for a while, but I did the entire perimeter. Can some one help me to determine how to take measurements and determine sqft in an odd shaped yard that is more than four sided? Thanks

lawnartisan
04-04-2006, 10:43 PM
I draw it on graph paper. It allows me to have an accurate visual aid when counting up my footage. The main trick is getting the best to scale drawing to begin with. Measure and re-measure is always safe.
I use the graph paper as I record. this helps me immensely. I create a scale. If each box on my graph paper reresents 2 ft; and I have a 5ft measurment; it will equal 2 1/2 boxes on the drawing. 1 box equaling 1ft is the easiest scale but not always realistic. unless I scotch tape more paper too fit my whole drawing.
I measure up, down, and to the sides only, because there no way to accurately put diagnol measurments on the graph paper because diagonals arnt in scale unless i use geometry formulas with hypotenuses translated to scale. Too much work for me. If I have to measure curves; I measure multiple points along the curve perpendicular from a line i have already recorded. Later as I connect the dots, I get a pretty good image of the yard.
I re-check by measuring different parts of the yard to see if it matches that portion of my drawing.
I go home and make copies and figure out my footage, keeping my scale in mind. As I figure the footage I shade in areas I have already counted as i add up my total. I estimate partial boxes. In the end I can accuratley mearsure a complicated yard, probably with less than a 2 percent error using this technique; and with out any fancy geometry formulas that would take me for-ever.
I also use more copies for irrigation plans, if your doing that too. If you want to learn about head to head coverage, matched precip rates for uniform and efficient watering, and zone creation according to available gpm and accountance for shade/sun, I can help with that too.

fishindude
04-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to have to read over what you said a few times, but after reading it twice, it starting to make since. I will deffinetley ask more questions as they arise. The graph paper will be bought tomorrow. Once again thanks

westcoh
04-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Here's an example of how I measure these things out. Basically, I just divide the yard up into smaller rectangles, find the area of each rectangle, and add them all together to get the total yard size. I made a quick pic to try and show what I mean. Each different shade shows a different rectangle I would figure out the area of, and then add the area of each rectangle together. If the yard has curves or angles other than 90 degrees, its a bit more complicated, but it can be easily figured out with some simple math.