PDA

View Full Version : Help with Landscaping job?

lasher66
04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
I dont do a whole lot of landscape, especially stone. I am more of a grass guy, but I have a customer insist that she wants me to do this job and wanted to get some help if you guys could. I know the picture attached dont show everything but it can give you a general idea. The picture shows mulch in all the beds but it is a old picture, now there is small stone that barely cover the ground in a lot of parts. Whoever she had do it, it now looks like crap. The landscape beds go all the way around the house and out about 3 ft from the house. There are weeds and grass growing through the stone and the dirt is exposed in many areas where the black plastic is ripped up and shredded for some reason. My question is, she wants more small stone added and then bigger stones on top for decor, so what is the best way to clean up all the weeds and grass and be able to put more stone down to stop this from happening again. I only have a 3/4 ton truck and there is about 675 sq ft of landscape bed, so I hope I can haul this much stone. If any help can be given it would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

sheshovel
04-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Well I am afraid your gonna have to remove that plastic..she apparently tried to use it as a weed barrier,as it continues to deteriorate it will be a mess.
So hoe out the weeds and dig out the grass..remove all the plastic that you can..rake it out well..you'll end up throwing out quite a bit of the old rock in this process..level and fill.Then apply a pre-emergent herbiside or have a licenced applicator do it then apply the rock nice and thick

lqmustang
04-04-2006, 09:25 PM
As far as weight goes, you can safely (legally) handle about a ton at a time in your F250. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less depending on your GVWR. At 3" of stone that's a touch over 6 yards. Generally 1 yard of stone = 1 ton. Sounds like 6 trips.

lasher66
04-04-2006, 09:25 PM
You dont recommend putting down a weed barrier when using stone?

Jason

dcgreenspro
04-04-2006, 09:34 PM
I rip it out all the time. The barrier is nothing more than a head ache you will be glad to get rid of. just pack the stone down heavy and you should be fine.:clapping: