PDA

View Full Version : Fung Shoui

TheHotShotKid
04-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Ayone using this ancient chinese art in their landscape lighting designs. I bet a savy entrepenuer could make a bundle by specializing in this. Whattdya think?:usflag:

Kate Butler
04-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Here's the rule:

You gotta be able to spell it before you can offer it to clients.

Feng shui

TheHotShotKid
04-04-2006, 10:27 PM
You say tomatoe I say tomato

Kate Butler
04-04-2006, 11:19 PM
And I thought I was being so-ooo PC not referencing the other imaginative spellings.....

sheshovel
04-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Feng Shui would call for rounded light fixtures..nothing pointed or sharp..flowing lines of lights that curve towards the front entry and extra bright lighting at the entry area.The front door is very important and directing good Chi towards it.And not obstructing it.Good Chi(energy)loves light.

steveparrott
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Sheshovel,

Interesting, I'd love to hear more on this. While I'm no expert, I would imagine that various regions of the landscape would impact various life areas. Especially interesting would be the Feng Shui of lighting outdoor recreational areas such as decks, pools and the like.

I have noticed on various job sites that certain lighting designs give a disquieting feeling. I often get this when a large backyard has distant illuminated trees and bushes. It feels like my awareness is pulled too far from me, like my chi is directed away from a certain comfort zone.

sheshovel
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes Steve and it could be actually sucking the good chi away from you and allowing bad chi to reach you.The life areas you speak of are inportant yes..but they are mostly dependant upon what year in which the owner and main money maker of the household were born .There are many books on Feng Shui in the garden.

steveparrott
04-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Could you recommend a good book?

sheshovel
04-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Yes "The Complete Illustrated Guide to FENG SHUI"
by Lillian Too...and
"Feng Shui in the Garden"by I don't remember who..try Non-Fiction section of Amazon.com and enter these titles in the search box.

steveparrott
04-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks, I'll check them out.

mak2
04-09-2006, 10:33 AM
I had to do a report in class to a bunch of hospital administrators aobut utilizing feng shui when building a hospital. Seems harmless but I dont know that it makes a whole lot of differnece, any more differnece than say color of wall etc. Some people like the style, and it does not hurt anything. So it might be a good selling point in the right part of the country, probably the same types who like organic fertilizers.

steveparrott
04-09-2006, 12:56 PM
I agree, it could be a good selling point, especially for high income homeowners who are familiar with Feng Shui. Certainly the West Coast has had more exposure to this eastern science, but there are pockets in all parts of the country that have been exposed to Feng Shui. I know a management consultant in CT that advises on Feng Shui in offices. Chase Bank is one of his clients.

I think this whole discussion speaks to bringing Landscape Lighting Design to the next level. As the industry grows, lighting designers will need to distinguish themselves and demonstrate that they are masters not only with illumination, but also with enhancing the experience of homeowners as they live with the lighting designs.

Landscape lighting is not simply a viewing experience, it is an experience of participation.