PDA

View Full Version : Skid Loader

B&K LawnCare
04-04-2006, 09:36 PM
I am looking to buy a skid loader for landscaping, What is the best used one to buy that is reasonable?

Mike33
04-04-2006, 10:16 PM
I say bobcat since my company is Bobcat Landscaping service. I would say be careful with used skid steers, people like to abuse them. I have seen real junk go for good money and times ou will find a bargain. I would buy a brand that you have a dealer close. I have bobcat and a dealer with in 5 miles. How this helps is service and variety of attachments for rental. I know my local dealer will not rent an attachment for another brand of loader even if it would fit up and work. Attachments are expensive to buy i own 4 and anything else i will rent.
Mike

dtelawncare
04-04-2006, 11:12 PM
I say the same advice. I think Bobcat is the best, but I just bought a Gehl. I really got a steal in it. I got it from someone I already knew, so i have a good idea of how it was taken care of.

BCFLawnLandscape
04-05-2006, 08:28 PM
i prefer bobcat, i have used them all of my life, i have also ran new holland skid loaders and they are very nice too, but i have a 763 bobcat and has plenty of power and does everything i need it to do!

pondfishr
04-05-2006, 10:00 PM
I have an 1986 Bobcat 743 I bought last year to install an in-ground pool. I found it locally from an individual and it has performed pretty well. It has good power, starts easily, and runs good. You will need a heavy duty trailer,10,000 LBS GVW with brakes to get from site to site. The machine weighs 4700 lbs with the loader bucket.

You should be able to get a good used 743 for around 5-7K. You can check Ebay to research prices. There are always many of them listed. I would make sure that I tested it out before agreeing to purchase.

Make sure that when it is in neutral the unit sits still without creeping. That is a pretty common problem that needs dealer service to repair unless you know what you are doing. The only problem that I have had with mine was an oil leak where the throttle linkage attaches to the motor. I was able to get the part from the local dealer and fixed it pretty easily.

The 743's are powered from the v-1702 Kubota 36hp diesel engine that is out of production. If you have problem on this model you have to either rebuild your own or find one re-manufactured.

Good luck they are really handy to have around and are great tools to expand your business.:headphones:

newlooklandscp
04-05-2006, 11:12 PM
I prefer cat but the cost a sh*t load. Nothing is built tougher. Second to that is holland and then bobcat. Bobcat is a good all around company but the dealer here by me sucks, thats why Ive been pushed away from them.

Ken