PDA

View Full Version : how do i remove bushes

grass disaster
04-04-2006, 09:38 PM
i got word to remove a row of hedges today.

not sure how to get this done.

he wants gass planted in their place.

they are not very big. probably about a icecream pail(little bigger) base of smaller size branches at the bottom and about 4ft. tall

am i going to need a stump grinder? i hope not

probablyt about 30 of them and 60-70 ft long

oh and i guess what should i charge. never done this kind of work before.

lowballer17
04-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Get a long tow strap or hook two straps together, wrap around base of bush, attach end to trailer hitch, get in truck, pull forward slowly.

Older, mature bushes require a firm pull. Get a running start with the truck and keep people away, never use cable or chain, fabric strap works wonders.

grass disaster
04-04-2006, 10:00 PM
my dad has a tractor with a 3 point hitch on it would this work??

not a very large tractor but it pulls out fence posts fine.

JJLandscapes
04-04-2006, 10:03 PM
although the truck method works it looks very un professional.... just use an axe and shovel and dig them out if thats the tools u have... sometimes when the bushes are in a row like a fence then once you break the main root on one and dig it out the other ones just get easier

Splicer
04-04-2006, 10:06 PM
although the truck method works it looks very un professional.... just use an axe and shovel and dig them out if thats the tools u have... sometimes when the bushes are in a row like a fence then once you break the main root on one and dig it out the other ones just get easier
:weightlifter: :clapping: :drinkup:

mexiking
04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
might look more unprofessional but sure as hell reduces the labor...

frankie lee
04-04-2006, 11:17 PM
a come-along works well too

procut
04-04-2006, 11:21 PM
The truck thing does look a little unprofessional, but it is easy. The tractor you mentioned would also work. I guess if you are really ambitious, you could dig them by hand.

grass disaster
04-04-2006, 11:24 PM
how much would u charge for this

wski4fun
04-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Call someone with a bobcat and a chipper and see how much. mark up 20% figure in you're time to reseed and call it a day. With stuff like this, since I work by myself, I try to make the money off of other people. You will be getting paid to supervise and to finish the job. Sorry I can't give a hard number but think subbing it out will work in your favor.

lawnkid
04-04-2006, 11:39 PM
First, usually we'll dig around the rootball and chop away some of the roots with an axe, and then on with the unprofessional way. Having a diesel as well sometimes I can take out 4 at a time. Now that's being productive :weightlifter: It's a lot faster and less work. That is again only if they are close to a paved surface too. I wouldn't drive over an existing lawn to do it unless you are doing a complete landscape renovation and the lawn is being replaced as well. For something like that we'd probably charge $20 a bush including dumping fee. Should take you about 3 hours total including cleanup. Nice little moneymaker. payup

chriscraft
04-05-2006, 11:05 PM
My guess is at 4 feet they will be fairly easy you could lop off big branches and dig them out. we did that all week on 3- 5 foot shrubs, couple of minutes to lop and dig them out most were dug out in 2-5 minutes so between 4-8 minutes per shrub, then we raked and re mulched areas. you will need compost or topsoil for top dressing im sure plus seed fert and possibly roll area to get uniformly flat and lvl

LB1234
04-06-2006, 12:04 AM
I'd rent a real small mini-x since it is such a long hedgrow (60-70 feet). I would dig out the shrub and pull it out and empty right into the back of your pickup, trailer, dumpster, whatever. Then you can use thebackbalde to smooth out the soil from the ruts, add more, whatever.

By the time you tie up the chain, get in the truck, put the truck in gear, get out of the truck, untie the plant, get back in the truck to line it up....this crap will never end for 70' of hedgerow. You probablly could get a machine on site for like 250 bucks. I'd say charge around 600-700 for it and be on your way.