PDA

View Full Version : Trailers: Two Axle versus One?

bdoss123
04-04-2006, 09:25 PM
What's the difference? There is a local sale with an approx. 6x12 (or 14) trailer that has two axles, most of the ones I have seen in this price range are single.

So my question is, what's the difference?

Thanks guys,
BD

JB1
04-04-2006, 09:27 PM
daylight and dark when your pulling them, two axles haul more and pull a lot smoother.

bdoss123
04-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Are they any harder to pull. I'll be starting with my Ranger which isn't much for towing. Although it would only be pulling a 48-52 mower, a 21 push, and then the small equipment.

BD

trackgimp
04-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Go big or go home, that's my moto. Seriously though, make sure that you get a trailer that is bigger then you currently need. You will more then likely grow in to it. 2 axles are much better then one. You should see what your tires can look like if you put too much weight on your singl axle trailer.

bdoss123
04-04-2006, 10:08 PM
I think I am going to make and offer on it. Eventually the Ranger will be replaced with something bigger, and hopefully by then I'll have some more weight (equipment) to put on the thing.

BD

jkkalbers
04-04-2006, 10:22 PM
If it has two axels, chances are it has electric brakes, at least it should. If it does you will need to install a brake controller in your truck. If all you need it for is a walk behind and a 21 go with a single axel for now.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I have a single axle and inherited a double axle. My single axle with both my ztrs on it is hurting. The tires look like they are running on the inside edge from bowing out.

mike lane lawn care
04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
if you can afford it, go with the twin axle. it will make life easier on your truck, and if you ever needed to move a heavy skid steer loader, you would be set.

jtkplc
04-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Plus if you blow a tire or something rare like that with a tandem axle trailer, you can limp home or whatever. With a single axle trailer, you're most likely screwed.

As far as your Ranger pulling a tandem axle trailer, I've pulled one with a Dakota and had no problems, but the Dakota had the 4.7L V-8 in it, so that's a bit of a difference over the Ranger. But I don't think short-term it will be a problem.

This isn't very significant, but I remember someone saying this a while back on here that tandem axle trailers look more professional and I agree with that. (I have a single axle trailer, so understand I'm not putting anyone down here or saying that anyone with a single axle trailer is unprofessional) I just think aesthetically, they look better and more professional.

procut
04-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Get the biggest one you can afford. The double axle will be able to haul more weight, but it will pull harder. If your going to be pulling it with a Ranger, you won't forget its back there, but if you plan on upgrading your truck you should be fine.

procut
04-04-2006, 11:22 PM
This isn't very significant, but I remember someone saying this a while back on here that tandem axle trailers look more professional and I agree with that. (I have a single axle trailer, so understand I'm not putting anyone down here or saying that anyone with a single axle trailer is unprofessional) I just think aesthetically, they look better and more professional.

We posted at the same time, I was going to mention this becasue I agree 100%.

wannaquitmydayjob
04-04-2006, 11:33 PM
When I started looking for mine I asked a TON of questions. In Michigan the laws have changed to require brakes on tandem axle trailers, so a bunch of out dated trailers are on the market. You may want to double check before you buy... it costs approx $750/axle to add brakes.

rob7233
04-04-2006, 11:35 PM
I agree with procut and get the biggest you can afford - as long as you have a place to store it. No need to get something that needs to be stored off site for $100+ month if your just starting out. Clearly the dual axle is best and the brake system is highly recommeded, especially with the smaller truck. The trailer brakes will save your bacon when heavily loaded and someone cuts in front of you, leaving little room to stop. An accident puts you out of Biz real quick...

rodneyskip
04-04-2006, 11:51 PM
When I started looking for mine I asked a TON of questions. In Michigan the laws have changed to require brakes on tandem axle trailers, so a bunch of out dated trailers are on the market. You may want to double check before you buy... it costs approx $750/axle to add brakes.

$750 an axle for brakes? At best it should it be a third of that.

A tandem axle will weigh more, but will track better behind your truck and take weight off of your truck's axle.

One thing to think about is that most of the time a single axle is much easier to move by hand than a tandem.

East Lawn
04-05-2006, 12:33 AM
Most single axle trailers have a 3,500lb axle and with a dual axle you have to so you can haul 7,000lb - weight of trailer. I recommend the dual axle as you can grow into it. As long as you have a six cylinder in your ranger should have no problem pulling it. You will know it is back there though. Oh and I highly recommend a trailer brake on the dual axle. When you load it keep majority of the weight over the axles.

justanotherlawnguy
04-05-2006, 01:18 AM
If you get a flat on one of the wheels with a tandem you wont be S.O.L like you would be with a single axel. Get a flat with a single axel and your done until you fix it. I got a flat in the middle of my route a couple of times and have been able to finish because I could still drive around. Granted if you had a pallet or 2 of sod or mulch you would be done, but with just the lawn equipment I was still able to drive..

elshauno
04-05-2006, 02:03 AM
I have an s10 and have no problem with my 16' tandem axle trailer. Besides pulling anything over 1000 pounds on a compact truck you need trailer brakes. Single axle trailers bounce around alot especially on compact trucks and pulled my friends truck off the road. He ended up in a ditch good thing he only blew a tire.

Ray&Christine
04-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Check your local traffic laws before you get a trailer. I have a 2 axle trailer right now and because the combined weight (truck and trailer) is over 10,000 lbs I have to get both the truck and trailer inspected yearly. I also have the get a CVOR. I also have to pay a bit more for my license sticker every year. I'm also more likly to get stopped in a spot check by the cops or MTO for a inspection on the side of the road. I would say if you need a double axle trailer to carry the weight then get one, If you can get away with a single axle that would be the way to go. Maybe in your area the laws are not as strick as here but I would check it out before you buy. I was thinking of going back to a single axle trailer because of these reasons.

Lux Lawn
04-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Buy the bigger one if you think your Ranger will pull it.If not down the road you will be wishing you would have when your getting another one next year.