PDA

View Full Version : So I woke up this morning.......

hect911
04-04-2006, 10:28 PM
I woke up this morning, got ready for work and as I walked out of my front door I noticed my sprinkler system was ON.

So I said to myself,
Self, you did an outstanding job with the design and the installation of your first sprinkler system.

But then as I was admiring my work of art:rolleyes:

I remembered that the system was programed to work from 6:00am to 6:10am and it was already 7:00am:dizzy: and that there was a lot of water running down the curve.:cry:

(By the way the time element has nothing to do with the Daylight Savings)

So I tried to turn the sprinkler system off at the controller but nothing was happening. My second zone would turn on and off at the controller but the first zone would stay on. I then went to the automatic valve and tried to turn it off ther but it did not shut down. So I disconnected the controller from the outlet and the first zone shut down. I then connected the controller and the first zone turned on, I disconnected the controller and the zone turned off.

I am thinking of changing the solenoid to the valve and see if that will solve the problem.

By the way I am a Texas Licensed Irrigator LI 14423 but am new to this Irrigation business I do this Part time and still learning!

Any help is appreciated in helping me solve this problem!:waving:

hect911
04-04-2006, 10:29 PM
by the way the valves are 1" rainbird Jar Top Valves

Dirty Water
04-04-2006, 10:32 PM
If your able to kill the zone by unplugging the timer, it is not the solinoid.

Its a issue with the timer. Sounds like a short between the 24v terminals and your zone 1 wire.

What timer?

Also, your running between 6:00 and 6:10?

hect911
04-04-2006, 10:38 PM
the timer is a Rainbird ESP Modular

Running time for the zone is from 6am to 6:10am 10 minutes in the morning and another 10 before the sun goes down.

hect911
04-04-2006, 10:41 PM
By the way, we had a lot of lightning and thunderstorms the previous night.

bumper
04-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Sounds like the solenoid is working like its suppose to..I would look a little deeper into the controller, but as they say..start with the easiest and cheapest part first ;)

Dirty Water
04-04-2006, 10:51 PM
With the dial on OFF the zone stays on?

Try replacing the module in the ESP.

hect911
04-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes, The zone stays on when the controller is set to the off position.

The controller came with an extra module. I will replace it within the next few minutes.

hect911
04-04-2006, 11:04 PM
I went to change the module and I found out that there was a lot of water inside the controller and everything was wet. The box is mounted under a carport and its supposed to be an outdoor controlller inside a box.

Dirty Water
04-04-2006, 11:09 PM
I went to change the module and I found out that there was a lot of water inside the controller and everything was wet. The box is mounted under a carport and its supposed to be an outdoor controlller inside a box.

Well, its probably shorting between the 24v terminals and the zone 1 terminal.

Is it getting blasted by a head?

We haven't had any trouble with outdoor ESP-M's.

hect911
04-04-2006, 11:13 PM
It rained pretty hard the night before. I will move the timer to a better location. I will also be installing a rain sensor pretty soon

hect911
04-04-2006, 11:18 PM
It rained pretty hard the night before I will move the timer to a better location. I am also going to install a rain sensor I think I need one.

hect911
04-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Problem fixed!

I let the controller dry out and everything works.

Thanks

SprinklerGuy
04-05-2006, 11:51 AM
It is either an outdoor controller or it is not...if it is and it got wet inside...something is wrong...door open?

PurpHaze
04-05-2006, 05:14 PM
It is either an outdoor controller or it is not...if it is and it got wet inside...something is wrong...door open?

Could also be other factors like wiring knock-outs not properly sealed with the right fittings and a direct sprinkler or rain entering this way.

Had one site that went on the fritz a couple of years ago. I go out and open the controller and there's water inside. Now I'm puzzled because this controller (outdoor model) is located under a roof overhang on the side of the building and no irrigation water was getting on it because it was in a concreted area that had no irrigation. I found out that a crew had come through a couple of days prior and pressure washed the sides of the buildings and had gotten the water inside the controller. I took some canned air and blow-dried the inside of the controller and all has been well with it over the past five years now. :laugh: