PDA

View Full Version : Rock Hog Attachment

thepawnshop
04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I am working on a site that has a sh*t load of rocks, mostly fist size and up, and a local dealer has one of these on his yard for sale:

http://www.rockhogattachments.com/

Have any of you used these and does anyone have any idea how much it should cost? He wants $1,400 for it, but I am thinking more like a grand.

Thanks!

Scag48
04-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey Mr. money bags, why don't you send some cash to a poor college student?!

I think that bucket would work for what you're using it for, but would you use it a whole lot after this job?

When do you get your 50D?

thepawnshop
04-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Damn, Scag...I'm broke! Looking at maybe scoring a Gehl 7810 also.

The subdivision I am in has 11 lots that need it over the next two years...as well as my personal building site so I'm not worried about getting use out of it, I just want to know if it is worth what he is asking.

The 50D should be here the end of May. By the way Scag, my Cat fan-boy buddy...I just HAD to demo the 304C...I told Deere that if I liked the Cat better I was going to cancel the order because the 50 hasn't even left Japan yet BUT....the truth was in the demo and my Deere "fan-boy" side prevailed (sorry Tim). The new Cat cab is very VERY nice...but it just wasn't enough to win me over, particularly since the Cat came in for more money (shocker). The 304C was a very nice machine...just not nice enough to get me to change my mind. I didn't put much seat time in on the Cat...I didn't think it would be fair once I realized that I wasn't going to buy it I didn't want to run the hours up on the machine and make it hard for them to sell as new.

Back to the Rock Hog...I absolutely LOVE attachements. Nothing can beat having the right tool for the job!

Scag48
04-05-2006, 01:45 AM
How much is the rock bucket? Will it see other use?

I hear ya brother, tools of the trade. I'm trying to start a photography business and I need to upgrade some of my equipment to do so. $3,000 for another camera body, couple lenses, tripod, slave flashes, etc. It just goes. Maybe it's time I got an operation loan.

Squizzy246B
04-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Doug, Forgive me for being critical. That groundhog or whatever is OK but its not good. The geometry is typical of a lot of rakes around that look good but don't work as well as they could. I know heaps of operators who have bought similar and only use them a few times and then they rust because the the performance is very average.

When you have run a rake like that for awhile you will understand. It has too much belly which allows crap to ball up in the back and hold a lot of dirt. The belly needs to be stepped forward so that you rake out the crap and leave the soil behind. The closer the stuff comes to the machine the less chance you have of screening it successfully without shaking the daylights out of your machine.

Our custom built rake works well in winter and heavier soils but could have the bars closer for summer sand work. The belly is kicked forward to prevent the balling up. A bolt on cutting edge is also a good feature that strengthens the bucket and allows use of smaller diameter bars, whilst giving the easy replacement. Have a look at my second post on this thread and you will see what I mean.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=122848&highlight=Rakes+Attachments+Skid+Stuff

TXTom
04-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Squizzy,

That looks like a great rake. I haven't seen anything like that around here. I have a root grapple that I use for moving rock, but anything like bricks or smaller will fall through. Your looks like it would solve that problem. Mine is a Bradco root grapple with thumbs. It works great for moving and placing large rocks.

Later,

thepawnshop
04-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Squizz...what do you think of THIS one?

http://www.equipmentland.com/products/mds/rockbucket/index.shtml

This looks similar, just a different manufacturer:

http://www.fabshoule.com/EN/product_family.asp?id=1

This looks nice, but it only gets smaller rocks:

http://www.absoluteinnovations.net/landscape/rockking.asp

And Finally:

http://www.virnigmfg.com/pdf/41731-Skeleton_Rock_Bkt_Grp.pdf

Squizzy246B
04-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Doug, the last one I like the least because of problems already discussed. The first two I believe would work well and probably better than my custom built job. However, I prefer the stuff at the pointy end to be bolt on/off for easy replacement. Often we have to dig out a few rocks or bust off a bit of stuff and the solid bar types always seem to bend even with plates under. I have the bolt on chisels and have broken two so far..$10.00 and bolt on another. Also the cutting edge at the front makes it very very good for levelling.

The third one you list I wouldn't comment on because I'd have to see that thing in action...it looks great and is probably more your dedicated attachment for serious rock cleanups. We like the trash rake (utility rake??) because it is quite universal. We use it for mulch, rocks, lawn/grass removal, trash, carry-all, even fire breaks. Anywhere you don't want to take off a whole lot of dirt.

Its important to differentiate between a trash rake which has the primary purpose of screening and a root grapple which has much wider gaps and is mostly intended for grabbing things, stumps and clearing work.

We have an associate company with a 938 loader and they are always screaming for me to come with the rake and clean up all the rubbish around sites they clearing. So much so they just ordered a rake for the 938, based on our rake. We really just kept searching the web, speaking to operators and working on a design that would suit our conditions.

Squizzy246B
04-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Squizzy,

That looks like a great rake. I haven't seen anything like that around here. I have a root grapple that I use for moving rock, but anything like bricks or smaller will fall through. Your looks like it would solve that problem. Mine is a Bradco root grapple with thumbs. It works great for moving and placing large rocks.

Later,

Tom, the gaps in our rake where designed to be just about an 1/8" less than the minor dimension of a house brick. Smaller pavers will go through occaisionally. I could almost use two rakes, a summer and a winter, but you really have to draw the line with the attachments somewhere!!!:rolleyes: