PDA

View Full Version : Gehl 7810

thepawnshop
04-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Any one of you guys have any experience with this monster? The local dealer is offer me what I think is a pretty good price on a LOADED machine, but I don't know too much about them other than they offer VERY LOW finance rates (which the Cat and Deere dealers say they need to do to try and "buy" the business).

I have a CTL, but I want a "rubber tire" machine for those applications where the job will require a lot of time on the asphalt. here are the machines specs:

Cab with air
2 Speed
High Flow Hydraulics
Hydraulic Quick Attach
Pilot Hand Controls
84" Bucket
Suspension Seat
Back Up Alarm
McLaren Semi-Pneumatic Tires

Here is a link to the other specs of the machine:

http://www.gehl.com/const/prodpg_sl7000.html

The way I am looking at it, I have the Deere 322CTL for jobs off road and that require a smaller machine. The Gehl 7810 would be for moving pallets of retaining wall block, large volumes of material and as I said before, asphalt work. So I would have a machine to cover just about every job imaginable.

Let me know your thoughts.

Tigerotor77W
04-05-2006, 12:27 AM
How about an A300 for asphalt work? :(

(I don't remember if the Bobcat dealer in your area stinks...)

thepawnshop
04-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Not a fan of the Bobcat dealer, but really I am not in the market for a machine..this one is just at a really good price and has every option i could ever want, including down the road. Add to that very low interest financing (60 months @ 1.9%) and it makes me consider a machine when it wasn't on my mind, which is why I'm not going to my Deere dealer and just buying a 332 rubber tire machine.

Scag48
04-05-2006, 02:58 AM
That machine is a monster. 115 HP of turbocharged madness. Kinda overkill for block work maybe? It'll lift an @$$ load though, that's for sure. 3,600 pounds ROC, crazy.

qps
04-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Any one of you guys have any experience with this monster? The local dealer is offer me what I think is a pretty good price on a LOADED machine, but I don't know too much about them other than they offer VERY LOW finance rates (which the Cat and Deere dealers say they need to do to try and "buy" the business).

I have a CTL, but I want a "rubber tire" machine for those applications where the job will require a lot of time on the asphalt. here are the machines specs:

Cab with air
2 Speed
High Flow Hydraulics
Hydraulic Quick Attach
Pilot Hand Controls
84" Bucket
Suspension Seat
Back Up Alarm
McLaren Semi-Pneumatic Tires

Here is a link to the other specs of the machine:

http://www.gehl.com/const/prodpg_sl7000.html

The way I am looking at it, I have the Deere 322CTL for jobs off road and that require a smaller machine. The Gehl 7810 would be for moving pallets of retaining wall block, large volumes of material and as I said before, asphalt work. So I would have a machine to cover just about every job imaginable.

Let me know your thoughts.

I thought you ordered a JD50???:confused:

mrusk
04-05-2006, 08:40 AM
How much $$$?

thepawnshop
04-05-2006, 08:42 AM
I thought you ordered a JD50???:confused:

I did...it'll be here at the end of next month.

thepawnshop
04-05-2006, 08:42 AM
How much $$$?

The price is 49k.

Tigerotor77W
04-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Wow -- awesome price... not sure if the machine would be overkill and certainly don't know fuel consumption figures, but if you think there's a possibility of needing that large a machine, go for it! That price tag is amazing.

RockSet N' Grade
04-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Pawnshop......the 7810 is a fairly large skid. I have been demoing skids for the past 3 months, talking with general/landscape contractors all over the US, plus buying a machine for myself. With the 7810, the hard question you have to begin to ask: what is the job application that it will fill, where will it fit and where won't it fit....size wise and application wise.
Now here is another observation. Pilot controls are due out across the board around June-August of this year. In my opinion, once pilots are put on skids the value of the inventory these manufacturers are trying to move (meaning current models without pilot controls) will decline substantially. They are trying to move inventory at tempting rates looking forward to the new generation of skids with pilots.
I have pre-purchased a pilot control machine due in July and worked out a deal with the sales rep to supply me with a machine until it arrives...

thepawnshop
04-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Rock, I want the to do everything I don't WANT to do with my much smaller Deere CT322. For example, right now I am putting retaining walls along side a street which involves A LOT of asphalt work...Moving pallets of wall block (which weigh 3800lbs), sweeping the road, moving sand and gravel to the wall sites. As for moving the pallets now, we have to move half of them to another pallet. The other and more often application will be moving volumes of dirt quickly. Sure, I could rent a machine for it, but I like knowing when I need a machine, it is there and will be in good working order.

I did find out that the Gehl is not that great of a deal. Deere offered me a 332 comparably equipped for $42,700. Yes, it has a few horses less, but it's still a monster!

You mentioned that all the skid players were going to pilot controls...I thought the Gehl that I was looking at already had pilot controls. I am not sure now if it did or didn't, but the controls remind me of the Cat 236B I demoed a couple of years ago.

So, Rock...what machine do you have pre-ordered?

RockSet N' Grade
04-05-2006, 11:02 PM
The machine I ordered is a Gehl 5640 with a cab, heat,air, over the tire tracks, two speed, quick tach and other bells and whistles. For what I do and the yard sizes I have to work with, it is a good sized machine. The only other machine I considered was a Case, but I felt I lacked the same quality of dealer/service support that I am getting with Gehl.
As a side bar, I ran into two separate contractors whom I know pretty good today at the fuel station and they both run Deere skids (newer and new models) and both are having service issues. For me, and I'm not a big contractor, service is a real priority for me.

JDSKIDSTEER
04-05-2006, 11:08 PM
The price is 49k.
That is to much for what you need......325 will handle all you need.

RockSet N' Grade
04-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Just a thought.....what about a backhoe instead of another skid?

thepawnshop
04-05-2006, 11:29 PM
That is to much for what you need......325 will handle all you need.

I'm not looking for a machine that will just handle what I "need", but one that will handle anything and everything that the 322 won't. Plus, I really like toys! I think the 332 rubber tire is about as stout a machine as you can get!

As for teh back hoe, never used one....have a mini already. I agree that you can move volumes of dirt with them, but I like the skids.

JD...you going to the "dog & pony" show at the Deere factory in a couple weeks? If so, I may see you there.

JDSKIDSTEER
04-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm not looking for a machine that will just handle what I "need", but one that will handle anything and everything that the 322 won't. Plus, I really like toys! I think the 332 rubber tire is about as stout a machine as you can get!

As for teh back hoe, never used one....have a mini already. I agree that you can move volumes of dirt with them, but I like the skids.

JD...you going to the "dog & pony" show at the Deere factory in a couple weeks? If so, I may see you there.No....toooooo buuuuusyyyy. Done been there enough. Impressive first couple trips......fell asleep on the trolly ride last trip. Youwill love it. Get to see backhoe and dozer line in same plant.

JDSKIDSTEER
04-06-2006, 07:31 AM

JD...you going to the "dog & pony" show at the Deere factory in a couple weeks? If so, I may see you there.
332 still over kill......get a tough job and have salesman bring 325 and 328 to try.

Tigerotor77W
04-06-2006, 09:19 AM
I did find out that the Gehl is not that great of a deal. Deere offered me a 332 comparably equipped for $42,700. Yes, it has a few horses less, but it's still a monster!

For the machine, 49k is a great deal. The 332 can't hold a candle in lift-height or travel speed, and though that's nitpicking, it's fair to say Deere wants your business. They're coming up in the world, and if they need to cut price to beat out larger machines, they will. (And note this was also the case when the 270 was in production: they bid the 270 against the 963 and 95XT, neither of which was less expensive.)

But given that you are familiar with Deere and its people/dealer, you may be better off getting the 332 simply because of those two items alone.

JDSkidsteer, I strongly advise not pushing him toward the 325 or 328. While it is possible that both machines are enough for him to lift 3,800 pound pallets, is it really safe to suggest a machine whose ROC is a half-ton less than the pallets he intends to lift?

Digdeep
04-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Xing,

That's why I didn't like what I saw in the JD video clip they have shown with the skids lifting more than their rated ROC. People lift more than the ROC enough already on their own. Just because a machine can lift more than the SAE rated load doesn't mean it is safe. I don't care how many disclaimers you put in a video, someone is is going to see it, try it, and run into trouble. That is why there is such a broad range of skids out there....to match the task with a machine that was made to do it....not stretch a machine that "can" do it to it's unsafe or marginal limits. I could drive a 10 penny nail with a torque wrench too if I bang hard enough.

Squizzy246B
04-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Xing,

That's why I didn't like what I saw in the JD video clip they have shown with the skids lifting more than their rated ROC. People lift more than the ROC enough already on their own. Just because a machine can lift more than the SAE rated load doesn't mean it is safe. I don't care how many disclaimers you put in a video, someone is is going to see it, try it, and run into trouble. That is why there is such a broad range of skids out there....to match the task with a machine that was made to do it....not stretch a machine that "can" do it to it's unsafe or marginal limits. I could drive a 10 penny nail with a torque wrench too if I bang hard enough.

Reminds me of a bloke today in his 248B reversing down a hill with about double the ROC on the forks and 50psi in the front tyres......????:o :o

I'm with Xing!:) Great post mate.

mrusk
04-06-2006, 09:04 PM
I been talking to my deere dealer and this is what there coming in at on a 325. Is this decent or just ok?

JD 325 SKID STEER LOADER
1025 Single speed 2070 12X16.5 BEEFY BABY
3004 AUX HYDRAULICS W/ HYD. Q-TACH
5001 HAND CONTROLS
8080………………………………..FLOOR PLATES
8130/R66949Y REAR WEIGHT BRACKET KIT (ROC 2850 lbs.)
9052 78” CONSTRUCTION BUCKET W/ BOE
8065 ANTI THEFT PACKAGE
24 MONTH 2000 HOUR PT&H EXTENDED WARRANTY

SELLING PRICE $31,680.82
No cab

What do you think?

JDSKIDSTEER
04-06-2006, 09:49 PM
I been talking to my deere dealer and this is what there coming in at on a 325. Is this decent or just ok?

JD 325 SKID STEER LOADER
1025 Single speed 2070 12X16.5 BEEFY BABY
3004 AUX HYDRAULICS W/ HYD. Q-TACH
5001 HAND CONTROLS
8080………………………………..FLOOR PLATES
8130/R66949Y REAR WEIGHT BRACKET KIT (ROC 2850 lbs.)
9052 78” CONSTRUCTION BUCKET W/ BOE
8065 ANTI THEFT PACKAGE
24 MONTH 2000 HOUR PT&H EXTENDED WARRANTY

SELLING PRICE $31,680.82
No cab

What do you think?
That is a very good price. There is going to be a price increase April 15th.

thepawnshop
04-06-2006, 10:22 PM
That is a very good price. There is going to be a price increase April 15th.

How many percent, do you think?

Damn, I haven't signed on the dotted line for the 50 yet either...I find the whole construction equipment business crazy...I tell a guy "I want a 50D with these accesories for this price" and he simply says "OK" and when it comes in, we do the paperwork. I always thought that when you were dealing with tens of thousands of dollars that they would want something in writing before they order...I just find it amazing that these guys still operate on a handshake!

Out of all the pieces I have bought so far (320, 35D & 322CTL to date) I have NEVER signed a purchase order prior to the machines arrival!

JDSKIDSTEER
04-07-2006, 12:05 AM
How many percent, do you think?

Damn, I haven't signed on the dotted line for the 50 yet either...I find the whole construction equipment business crazy...I tell a guy "I want a 50D with these accesories for this price" and he simply says "OK" and when it comes in, we do the paperwork. I always thought that when you were dealing with tens of thousands of dollars that they would want something in writing before they order...I just find it amazing that these guys still operate on a handshake!

Out of all the pieces I have bought so far (320, 35D & 322CTL to date) I have NEVER signed a purchase order prior to the machines arrival!
Purchase order just a peice of paper. Hand shake builds trust. If customer backs out which very very seldom happens sell the machine to someone else and leave door open for next time with no hard feelings. Around 2.9%...Order placed prior will be price protected. No increase on 50D.

thepawnshop
04-08-2006, 12:42 AM
:confused:

My monster skid steer decision just became a bit more difficult...the Gehl dealer is offering to throw in a "Rock Hog" bucket in the deal. Also, the 332 is not a true "apples to apples" comparision becasue the price I was quoted does not come with high flow hydraulics (Deere as of this time can not offer hydraulic quick tach and high flow on the same machine....yet, but when they do, it will be an additional 1k) or the McLaren semi pneumatic tires ($4,100 delivered) Which would make both machines basically neck and neck price-wise.

The Gehl has 30 more horsepower, larger cab, slightly higher dump reach, bigger lift capacity, free loaner attachments, 1.9% interest for 60 months and mechanical pilot controls (which seeing me drive it, I look drunk!) BUT comes with unproven support. It sure is pretty, though!

The Deere offers familiar controls and AWESOME dealer support.

I think the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger either way is my loyalty to the dealer that I have bought my last 4 pieces from, though I sincerely think the Gehl is the better deal. I told the Gehl dealer I would give him an answer Monday...I really need you guys opinions...because call me crazy, but my buddy (who is also my Deere dealer) is a little biased on the subject.

thepawnshop
04-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Also, with the pilot controls...if I do go in that direction...how long does it take to get used to them? Every bump I hit I go off target! Right now, I would be terrified to operate this machine close to a house.

Scag48
04-08-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm starting a photography business and I need a loan, send me $10K and I'll tell you what machine to buy!

On a more serious note, I would honestly buy the Deere over the Gehl mainly because of support. I think the Gehl is a good machine, but it is HUGE. I'm still not understanding why you need that large of a machine, I think a 332 would handle just about all of your needs, the cost is the same, and you get excellent support that you know for sure.

Canon Landscaping
04-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I vote for the DEERE we have the biggest gehl dealer in the country everyone here runs gehl. But DEERE is catching up and the closest dealer is 30 miles away. I have run many gehls and I think the visibility is terrible both to the rear and to the cutting edge. The T-bar controls suck and my ct322 will out lift the gehl 6640 and the 6640 is a much larger machine. I think gehls sell because of the financing and around here gehl is the only local dealer. One of the biggest excavation contractors here runs a few gehls and one is a 7810 and they are looking at trading all of them in on DEERE 325s. If I was going to be lifting 3,800lb pallets all day every day or loading dump trucks all day I might look at a 7810 but if you can get close to the same performance from a physically smaller DEERE machine why get the monster 7810 it will eat tires if you run it on pavement all the time and those monster tires can't be cheap and then you will still have flats and changing one of those tires will be a pain. If you are going to do much dirt work you will want to get the over ther tire steel tracks for the 7810 which will run you about 4,000 so after you look at all those aspects why not just trade your DEERE ct322 in on a ct332 and be done with it.

thepawnshop
04-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Good idea, Canon, but I need/want a machine to compliment my 322. For example...number 57 stone is hard on an undercarriage, and we use them to fill foundations before pouring a floor. Also, with a decent amount of work being done on asphalt, it will save on track and undercarriage cost as well. I don't want to REPLACE my 322..it's an awesome machine. But when you load up two machine at the same time, terrain permitting, you can move an a$$load of material in a very short period of time.

I am impresswed with the Gehl, but you have DEFINATELY given me some things to consider. Deere support around here can not be matched!

RockSet N' Grade
04-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I don't know your operation or your goals or direction.....but for me, to compliment my skids, track hoe, dump trucks, etc. ...........................we have a nice used JD410 backhoe. It carries volumn, it moves fast, runs up and down the street to do little "pick-up" work whereas if I tried to take the track hoe.....its like the tortise and the hare. We couldn't perform without a backhoe hanging around the wings.......it is a real mainstay in production.

RockSet N' Grade
04-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Just another thought in passing....we're not moving much gravel anymore around here by little machines. Everyone seems to be shooting their 1" minus material off a rock shooter and if it is large volumn, we stock pile the material, hire the rock shooter and keep filling him up till the whole job is shot and placed. Seems to be the new system for production around here.....

thepawnshop
04-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Somethin I have noticed about this whole Gehl vs. Deere thing...Other than the spacious cab, the only other thing that Gehl brings to the table of interest to me is the ability to have both electric quick tach and high flow on the same machine, which Deere won't be doing till fall. Deere takes the cake otherwise for the following reasons:

It is 1100 lbs lighter
22 inches shorter
4 inches narrower
Has a ROC of 3525 (with weights) which is only 150 lbs LESS than the 7810
Has a higher bucket breakout force (8210 vs 7880)
An engine with 30 less horsepower (which means less fuel consumption)

I think what the Deere has accomplished with a considerably smaller machine is quite impressive! I just wish they had a roomier cab...it is kinda cramped in that thing!

tylermckee
04-09-2006, 04:22 AM
Whats wrong with a backhoe? it sounds to me like a backhoe would do everything you want it to do and then some.

Squizzy246B
04-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Whats wrong with a backhoe? it sounds to me like a backhoe would do everything you want it to do and then some.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I've been waiting for that; The original JOAT

Scag48
04-10-2006, 01:47 AM
Hmmm, very true. Price could be an issue, though. Decently equipped backhoe runs about $90-100k anymore.

mrusk
04-10-2006, 08:33 AM
He might be maybe able to get into a 310 backhoe for less than 90k. I don't know exactly what the go for, but i think it is less than 90k.

murray83
04-10-2006, 09:40 AM
yay!,the skidsteer thread turned into the lets make him buy a backhoe thread.

as for the rock slinger,it has its place but ours is mounted on an old paystar we had laying around,but the unit set us back over 75 grand used kinda outta his price range.

backhoe is a decent machine if you have the work for it,otherwise hes better with the skidsteer and his mini combo.

but if you brainwash him enough into getting the new backhoe....since hes a builder,get forks in the long run that attachment is the only attachment u'll use everyday no matter what

thepawnshop
04-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Which is why I am now looking at a telehandler instead. Thanks for all the input!

Squizzy246B
04-10-2006, 10:29 AM
yay!,the skidsteer thread turned into the lets make him buy a backhoe thread.

as for the rock slinger,it has its place but ours is mounted on an old paystar we had laying around,but the unit set us back over 75 grand used kinda outta his price range.

backhoe is a decent machine if you have the work for it,otherwise hes better with the skidsteer and his mini combo.

but if you brainwash him enough into getting the new backhoe....since hes a builder,get forks in the long run that attachment is the only attachment u'll use everyday no matter what

C,mon, we have to have some fun you know, by the end of the week we would have been looking at a D8 at least!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: or maybe a dragline...that'd be handy:waving:

murray83
04-10-2006, 12:10 PM
D8? too small gotta go with the D11 carrydozer......oh no i think i just started another cat vs. other brand war :confused:

been looking at a EX650 for new home excavations whats yah think?

lol :rolleyes: