PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for planting....

G.M.Landscaping
04-05-2006, 01:17 AM
A customer has 14 5' arbs that were planted 2 years ago by another LCO. She wanted them as a privacy hedge but they were planted 4' apart in a straight row. There's a 2' gap between them. She's supplying 14 more 5-6' arborvitea's delievered to the house. So it's just labor.
First: is there a problem planting in between the extising plants. ie, disturbing the roots. She doesn't want to stagger them.
This is being done by only me using pick and shovel so what's a good price?

wski4fun
04-05-2006, 01:29 AM
Depends on the digging. Are you going to amend the soil? Don't forget to take the burlap off if it's plastic fold it down if it's regular fabric. Any gaurentee? If there is you should charge extra. If the digging is pretty easy maybe $225-$250 with no gaurentee.

RSK2
04-05-2006, 01:37 AM
A customer has 14 5' arbs that were planted 2 years ago by another LCO. She wanted them as a privacy hedge but they were planted 4' apart in a straight row. There's a 2' gap between them. She's supplying 14 more 5-6' arborvitea's delievered to the house. So it's just labor.
First: is there a problem planting in between the extising plants. ie, disturbing the roots. She doesn't want to stagger them.
This is being done by only me using pick and shovel so what's a good price?

hi G.M

i don't think there would be a problem planting the new one there
keep a eye out for roots. i would charge $45-$65 hour how long do you
think it will take you do put the new ones in. let me know

G.M.Landscaping
04-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Since I didn't plant the originals or pay for the new one's I'm not guaranteeing anything. I was going to use a mix of topsoil,sand , and mushroom as amend.

I usually charge $50/hr for most labor. I'm thinking 3-4 hrs.

But $200 sounded too cheap. I'm just talking about the labor not the cost of picking up the mix and fuel.

wski4fun
04-05-2006, 01:56 AM
never heard of using sand and mushrooms but that doesn't mean anything. I have always used topsoil, peatmoss, and a little cow manure. Have problems with deers eating them down there? It's terrible up here.

GarPA
04-05-2006, 04:36 AM
GM I agree the price is too low ....I'd be at least twice the amount you noted. I'd also use a Mantis to help dig most of the holes as this little machine is fabulous for planting and pulverizing the backfill.

G.M.Landscaping
04-05-2006, 10:38 AM
GM I agree the price is too low ....I'd be at least twice the amount you noted. I'd also use a Mantis to help dig most of the holes as this little machine is fabulous for planting and pulverizing the backfill.
I own a mantis and was thinking of using it, but wasn't sure if it would start bouncing around and getting loaded up with roots because of the other arbs.

RSK2
04-05-2006, 11:35 AM
I own a mantis and was thinking of using it, but wasn't sure if it would start bouncing around and getting loaded up with roots because of the other arbs.

hi gm
i would charge $65 x 4 $260 or just charge $320 for all the work

sheshovel
04-05-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm going to venture to say that you are going to severly damage the roots of the Arbs on each side and you may even kill them.Be sure to tell the customer this and have her sign a paper saying that you will not be responsible for any death or damage done too her existing Arbs by planting in between them in this manner.Personaly I would not do it unless she allowed me to stagger them.

G.M.Landscaping
04-05-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm going to venture to say that you are going to severly damage the roots of the Arbs on each side and you may even kill them.Be sure to tell the customer this and have her sign a paper saying that you will not be responsible for any death or damage done too her existing Arbs by planting in between them in this manner.Personaly I would not do it unless she allowed me to stagger them.
That was my biggest concern and I told her that. I wanted to stagger them but she doesn't want her bed any wider. I told her no guarantee on any of them, but signing a paper is a good idea and I'll do that.

I'm going for $300. Thanks for the input.

dutchman
04-08-2006, 07:29 AM
So you will plant them for $21.50 each.I hope you will get your topsoil for free.Just my 2 cents

G.M.Landscaping
04-08-2006, 10:33 AM
So you will plant them for $21.50 each.I hope you will get your topsoil for free.Just my 2 cents
I was just talking about the labor like I posted above.
$300+30+50=$380
labor+mix+fuel & delievery

Plus extra for mulch.

dutchman
04-08-2006, 11:16 AM
sorry my mistake..but still it sounds to cheap for me..

sheshovel
04-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Make that an even $425.00 and I will be happy.Don't over amend your soil,just get some aged mushroom compost(make sure it's not(hot) and mix about 4 to 6 shovelfulls in with the native soil,you can use your Mantis to mix the backfill with the compost if anything that will save you alot of work.Forget the sand.
I get confused when you guys speak of planting sizes of tree's by the height.I always speak of them by the size of the rootball or container size..
1gal-5gal,10gal,25gal,or boxed sizes.
Here's my planting mix recipe for 1 yard mix..1/4yd-Nitro Humus,1/4yd-Mushroom Compost
1/4yd-Topsoil,1/4Yd-ricehull mix(usually that's my suppliers mix od compost and ricehulls)..Have mixed together real well before delivery or p/up...then I sometimes add 2 bags od Gardners Bloom Organic Compost.I take my mixture and mix it with the native backfill of the planting hole,or sometimes I just put it on a bed and mix it with the soil and plant right in it/.

Coffeecraver
04-09-2006, 06:16 AM
Take the cost of the 5 foot Arb's

Example 52.00 ea wholesale

Multiply 52.00 x 2 1/2 = 130.00ea. Installed

Total = 130 x 14= 1820.00

Subtract plants 14 @ 52.00 = 728.00

Total = 1092.00 for Installation

Good Luck
:)