PDA

View Full Version : Lights for backing up with a trailer at night?

Aaron's Lawn Care
04-05-2006, 02:17 AM
Do you guys know where I can get some lights for backing up with my trailer at night? I keep my trailer on a friend's farm and sometimes I end up dropping the trailer off late at night when it is pitch black. I want something that mounts under the rear bumper. Would a pair of foglights do the trick or is there anything made especially for this purpose?

Ole Green
04-05-2006, 02:29 AM
http://www.hotlicksexhaust.com/default.asp

If done right this will really light your way in reverse, also good for starting camp fires and roasting marshmallows.

Aaron's Lawn Care
04-05-2006, 12:29 PM
;)

anyone else?

kingofbling
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Do you guys know where I can get some lights for backing up with my trailer at night? I keep my trailer on a friend's farm and sometimes I end up dropping the trailer off late at night when it is pitch black. I want something that mounts under the rear bumper. Would a pair of foglights do the trick or is there anything made especially for this purpose?

I used a foglights from Northern Tool, total cost to install ran about $30. That inlcuded two lights,switch,wire. You can probably find the lights cheaper at walmart or something, when i bought them they were regular $18.99 on sale for $9.99

FearThisDeere
04-05-2006, 08:57 PM
A pair of fog lights, running lights, or utility lights on a relay switch would work just fine. I have a set of KC low profile fogs and they work great!

BSDeality
04-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I have a pair of hella 55w fog lights on the back of my f350, it really helps with the tint'ed windows at night.

oldrustycars
04-05-2006, 10:29 PM
im a truck driver, i drive a rolloff semi, and often back up down alleys, and in dark landfills. i switched the turn signals on my trailer to amber. when i back up, i put on the 4 way flashers, does a pretty good job of lighting the way, cheap but not as good as the other replies here.

man of stihl
04-06-2006, 01:47 PM
i just got a set of 55w lamps at auto zone and added them right above my 3 way led lights on my trailer. i have a 10 guage wire running from my battery back into a relay. so when i put my truck into reverse and i have the trailer.. it triggers it and they light up. i also have a set in my landscaping box on the front of my trialer. at night i turn my cargo light on and they light up on my trailer, so i can unload at night. they are set up the same way.
thanks,
lance

oh ya i have a 30 amp inline fuse in my wiring for my trailer.. just to protect everything

green814
04-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I have the Pilot back up lights from Meijer's for $20. I made 2 brackets for each side out of 1" 1/8 thick flat stock steel & mounted them directly below my trailer brake lights. I cut a thick mud flap up & mounted that in front of the lights on the front side of the bracket to protect them. Wired them up & played with the aiming a touch. They work great.

Chris

"Ground Control"
07-15-2006, 01:29 AM
Stylin Concepts has a light that attaches to the receiver under the bumper and can be set to turn on in reverse on manually. It still allows full use of the hitch.

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part.aspx/partid/16927/partfamilyid/735/subcategoryid/114/categoryid/26

Audrey
07-15-2006, 02:34 AM
I also bought mine from Northern tool. 55 watts each I think. It's been a while, I don't remember the price. I have a 16' dual axle open utility. I mounted the lights above my turn signals. When I shift into reverse they come on.

Something else I did was to mount another pair under the rear of my pickup. I control them with a switch under the dash. These will be great for you when backing up to hook, or unhook in the dark. They will come in handy many other times as well. For mounts I used scrap 1/8" aluminum diamond treadplate. I made simple "L" brackets.

I have been having a problem with the lights on my trailer. It seems as though they are very susceptible to shock. I have been experimenting with rubber mounting the the light fixtures and that seems to have helped a bit. However, I am still going through bulbs. They are almost as much as a new light. Keep this in mind when you mount yours. Or maybe there is a different light on the market that will be better suited to this application?
I have as of yet to replace a bulb on the truck lights. I'm sure it's the vibration or shock causing this.

A