PDA

View Full Version : what a mess!!! help!!

zwillinge
04-05-2006, 07:26 AM
well, i had my irrigation system put in and have a few issues with it. my yard here (austin, texas) had a lock of rock underneath so instead of 1 to 1 1/2 days they needed 3 full days to complete it.
but now i have rock on top of my grass instead of under it. can i expect them to clean it up? they did remove rocks larger that fist size but there are still a lot of smaller ones laying around. i can just see me or the kids running around and stepping on rocks all the time. also i am worried about futur lawnmaintenance? aren't all these rock going to create a problem with mowers and weedeaters?
also the rain sensor was installed on the fence fairly close to the house. will not the run off of my roof mislead the sensor (we have no gutters)?
the sales guy told me my yard will look as good if not better once they are done and that is definitley not the case just now. am i expecting too much? i have not had the final inspection and i still owe them the remaining 50% of their money.
any suggestions on how to handle this would be appreciated.

Xterminator
04-05-2006, 07:31 AM
dont pay them until its cleaned up

Xterminator
04-05-2006, 07:32 AM
call the salesman and ask him what he thinks

Flow Control
04-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Take a pic if you can. Some owners expect that someone will go through and pick up every little stone? We need to see if you are just being too picky or if it would be common sense to clean up more. Was your yard trenched or plowed in?

zwillinge
04-05-2006, 09:27 AM
yes, they came with a big machine to put down the trenches and also had to use a jackhammer to get thru some of the rock.

PurpHaze
04-05-2006, 10:16 AM
A lot is going to depend on what the installation contract says as far as the rock goes. If the rocks are of a small nature then perhaps they've met their contractual obligations based on your soil type. Perhaps not. However, the rain sensor should be located in a spot that is not influenced by other means of water such as run-off or sprinklers themselves. Take pictures and bring your concerns to the attention of the installer.

sheshovel
04-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Yea contact them right away and let them know your not happy with them leaving the rocks everywhere,ect.They may not know what the salesman promised you.He sure should not have told you thatt your yard would look good if not better
when they were done with the work and if he did you should have not believed the guy.

Congradulations on your new irrigation system

PurpHaze
04-05-2006, 04:06 PM
They may not know what the salesman promised you.He sure should not have told you that your yard would look good if not better
when they were done with the work and if he did you should have not believed the guy.

Agree and disagree... sort of. :) Not knowing what the salesman quoted it's hard to understand exactly what he was talking about.

If he meant immediately after the system was put in then there is no way since your area trenches and these will leave temporary scars unless the sod is cut, pulled back and then the trenching done. Some companies also overseed the trenched areas so they come back quickly depending on what type of grass is in your lawn. Trenched areas respond well because the soil has been "tilled" in the trenches and this lends itself to quick germination and recovery.

If he meant after everything grew back sufficiently and you follow a fertilization and weed control program then your lawn will look great because of the irrigation combined with these other factors.

Green Sweep
04-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Large rocks should not have been left in your lawn. Do they expect YOU to clean it up before you mow? Or, should you just take the chance & maybe break a window? or twist an ankle? Also, in my opinion, it is unprofessional to install rain sensors anywhere other than a roof, gutter, or up high somewhere unimpeded & out of reach. A 10' ladder usually will do the trick.

Rob

Critical Care
04-05-2006, 07:30 PM
You certainly do not want rocks being picked up by a mower, however with that said, removing all of the smaller rocks may be next to impossible. It is not uncommon at all to find lawns with some rocks within the turf. This doesn’t mean to accept a job that appears as if someone dumped gravel on the lawn, but on the other hand if a company demonstrates their willingness to rectify the situation, you may also want to try to meet them halfway as well. Your contract, like most, probably doesn’t spell out such specifics.

For whatever it’s worth, I recall a situation where the revamping of a park included the removal of pieces of glass and other debris from the turf. Someone employed the help of a number of boy scouts who combed the area back and forth. It was a good idea, and perhaps all for a small donation to the troop. Instead of creating too much of a ruckus, you could actually have an enjoyable time if you could employ a number of cub or boy scouts for thirty minutes. Doughnuts, sodas, and cookies are encouragement enough for most kids.

Dirty Water
04-05-2006, 08:03 PM
This is why we plow, and on the holes we do dig, we dump the spoils on a tarp. No mess, = Great yard.

When we do trench, I make the guys go over every trench line with a leaf rake after backfilling, this gets all the pebbles out of the lawn and into in the trench line, were they get scooped up with a flatnosed shovel.