PDA

View Full Version : please help me be fair

bobbygedd
04-05-2006, 09:49 AM
my accountant charges $150 per hr to correspond with the state or govt, on my behalf, should the need arise. he charges a minimal fee for each visit i make, each phonecall i make, and for anything he has to do for me. understood. ok, he screwed up a few things over the yrs. then, he charges, to make it right. this time, i bout had it. he filed my sales tax wrong. he typed in "sales tax collected -xyz. " then he typed " sales tax owed "0". i sent a check for the correct amount owed, but they would not accept it, cus the return was filed wrong. he charged me $125 for his service on this. i corrected it myself, which required 2 hrs worth of phone time with the state (over 4 different phone calls, to get someone who finally knew wtf was going on). i had to stop payment on the original check, and send new one (approx 25 min time.) and a $35 stop payment fee. tell me, what does my accountant owe me?

wski4fun
04-05-2006, 09:52 AM
A referal to a new accountant.

K.Carothers
04-05-2006, 09:54 AM
First off, you need a new accountant.

Second, confront him on his poor tax preparation and ask him how is he going to credit you for your work.

kc

geogunn
04-05-2006, 10:03 AM
he owes you nothing. you should have had him correct his mistakes.

as for your time and stop check fee...that is the cost of doing business.

GEO

K.Carothers
04-05-2006, 10:12 AM
he owes you nothing. you should have had him correct his mistakes.

as for your time and stop check fee...that is the cost of doing business.

GEO

Of course he owes something.

If the accountant missed that much the first time, would you go back to him to "fix" what he couldn't do in the first place?

kc

geogunn
04-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Of course he owes something.

If the accountant missed that much the first time, would you go back to him to "fix" what he couldn't do in the first place?
kc

yes, of course I would.

it was his mistake and I would expect him to make good on the work I paid him for.

that is, of course, unless I was quitting him.

in either case, because the acct made a mistake, that doesn't mean BG is "owed" anything other than for the acct to correct his misatake.

like I said, dealing with administration of a business is part of the cost of doing business.

now if I were the acct, I would probably offer a credit to the bill for my mistake.

GEO

bobbygedd
04-05-2006, 10:37 AM
the problem needed to be adressed immediately. he, was not available immediately. i dealt with it myself. why shouldn't the accountant refund my money, plus my incurred expenses? don't YOU garentee your work?

geogunn
04-05-2006, 10:57 AM
now if I were the acct, I would probably offer a credit to the bill for my mistake.

bob--is there something about plain english you can't understand this morning? a credit to your bill is all you get and that is if you are nice about the matter.

question: you miss a few square inches of grass on a yard or a small branch on the back of a bush...the homeowner has to pull out his mower or hedge trimmer and correct your mistake...how much do you owe the homeowner?

same difference.

GEO :dizzy:

bobbygedd
04-05-2006, 11:11 AM
vey bad comparisson. will the missed spots in the lawn cost the customer money in late fees and penalties for not filing + not paying ontime? very bad comparisson. but, nonetheless, thank you for your meaningless, foolish, and a bit agrevating, advice.

sheshovel
04-05-2006, 11:15 AM
$485.00..........................

geogunn
04-05-2006, 11:24 AM
...thank you for your meaningless, foolish, and a bit agrevating, advice.

you are welcome you bombastic dipstick.

it is a very excellent example that I have offered. in fact it is the perfect bobbygedd example.

my advice to you is quit pushing the deadlines and get your stuff to your acct on time and you wont have to worry about his math skills.

glad I could help.

GEO

bobbygedd
04-05-2006, 12:20 PM
how did you arrive at the "pushing the deadlines?" you are really makin **** up at this point. pay at-ten-tion- the return was filed promptly. the state notified me a month later, that it was filed in error. i needed it rectified IMMEDIATELY to avoid penalties + interest. the accountant, was not available, immediately. i handled it, myself, to avoid further late fees + penalties. i paid him $125 FOR NOTHING. he did nothing. in fact, his error, cost me more money. why should he not be responsible? it is in my opinion, that the acct owes me $125 (refund for his fee) he owes me $35 for the check cancel fee. he owes me $200 for consultation with the state (the time i spent straitening out his mess). a total of $360. is there anyone who agrees? and geo, when / if, you ever start paying taxes for your business, you'll have a better understanding. till then, u may be better off, just listening, and learning.

geogunn
04-05-2006, 02:09 PM
i paid him $125 FOR NOTHING. he did nothing. and geo, when / if, you ever start paying taxes for your business, you'll have a better understanding.

thanks bob--cleared things right up. as always it's still amazing how the only one that is competent in your world is you.

as for me and my affairs, for the few things I can't handle, I am smart enough to hire people that know what they are doing.

thanks again.

GEO

bobbygedd
04-05-2006, 02:33 PM
thanks bob--cleared things right up. as always it's still amazing how the only one that is competent in your world is you.

as for me and my affairs, for the few things I can't handle, I am smart enough to hire people that know what they are doing.

thanks again.

GEO
talk to the hand :headphones: i aint listening to your nonsense

BCF
04-05-2006, 02:36 PM
If you called him first and he said that he did not have the time to fix this, or basically no, he should own up to the $125 he charged you to mess up, and if he's a good guy, the $35 canceled check.

geogunn
04-05-2006, 02:43 PM
i aint listening to your nonsense

of course not...you can't hear anything for your incessant babble.

GEO :laugh:

Remsen1
04-05-2006, 05:32 PM
First read your agreement to see if you signed a paper stating that he is not repsonsible for mistakes.

I leiu of this I would say that it is debateable whether he owes you anything and especially the amount that he owes you. Maybe he could have handled it in a way that would have costed far less and there for would owe you less than you think you are owed. Ex. If one of your plantings starts to wilt so your customer digs it up and has another lco plant a new one and now the cust wants you to pay her some money. You could have handled it differently, even a day or two later and the plant would have been fine, you owe the customer little if anything.

My initial reaction to your question was that he owes you nothing and that you should have let him handle it from start to finish and that he should handle corrections without additional fees to you and he should pay any penalties incurred in your name along the way. But since you didn't let him handle it then, nada. How much would the penalty have been? It may have been better to accept the penalty, drop it back in his lap when he came back to work let him deal with it and pay for it.

My advice would be to bring it to his attention with hopes that he waives a fee for the next time you call for advice or something of that nature.

olderthandirt
04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
kick his azz and consider his hospital bill even for what you payed the gov.

bobbygedd
04-05-2006, 06:48 PM
that's tempting mac. things like this need to be handled in a timely fashion. the acct, simply didn't give a crap enough to return my call for over a week when i called his office to advise him of the matter. should someone so neglectful, be trusted with your affairs concerning the irs + state? bottom line, i have an outstanding bill of about $500. i will deduct my $360, as well as an additional $140 for pain and suffering, and send him nothing. nothing was signed, ever

bumper
04-05-2006, 07:18 PM
ya think he would have charged his usual 125.00 an hour to fix his mistake?

fortunately this was an issue you could fix yourself, some would say cost of doing business...I think he gets an earful, if possible a few short payments and I would be lookin for a new accountant asap.

as for the other examples...if I were a homeowner with an agreement for specific services and the provider failed to provide those specific services and I was forced to do the work myself..you bet the provider would see a reduction pay on his next invoice.

olderthandirt
04-05-2006, 07:28 PM
that's tempting mac. things like this need to be handled in a timely fashion. the acct, simply didn't give a crap enough to return my call for over a week when i called his office to advise him of the matter. should someone so neglectful, be trusted with your affairs concerning the irs + state? bottom line, i have an outstanding bill of about $500. i will deduct my $360, as well as an additional $140 for pain and suffering, and send him nothing. nothing was signed, ever

Do both and you will feel much better :)

TJLANDS
04-06-2006, 12:08 AM
my accountant charges $150 per hr to correspond with the state or govt, on my behalf, should the need arise. he charges a minimal fee for each visit i make, each phonecall i make, and for anything he has to do for me. understood. ok, he screwed up a few things over the yrs. then, he charges, to make it right. this time, i bout had it. he filed my sales tax wrong. he typed in "sales tax collected -xyz. " then he typed " sales tax owed "0". i sent a check for the correct amount owed, but they would not accept it, cus the return was filed wrong. he charged me $125 for his service on this. i corrected it myself, which required 2 hrs worth of phone time with the state (over 4 different phone calls, to get someone who finally knew wtf was going on). i had to stop payment on the original check, and send new one (approx 25 min time.) and a $35 stop payment fee. tell me, what does my accountant owe me?
Why would you not use the state website for filing and paying your sales tax online, In my opinion it is the easiest way, the safest way and by far cheaper than paying an accountant for something that takes me 10 minutes a month. I actually thought it was made a requirement to file online in Nj.

bobbygedd
04-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Why would you not use the state website for filing and paying your sales tax online, In my opinion it is the easiest way, the safest way and by far cheaper than paying an accountant for something that takes me 10 minutes a month. I actually thought it was made a requirement to file online in Nj.
i use an accountant for everything, just figured it was safer that way. he does it online for me. i will be doing it myself from now on. i disagree about paying online being "safe". if the state needs money, they pull your name, and call you, and say you didn't pay for this quarter, this quarter, that quarter, etc . they keep picking quarters, for yrs back, hoping you don't have the proof that it was paid. then, they make u pay it again. of course, when u file online, u get a confirmation number. they will tell you, they have no record of it. then you have to prove they took the money from your account. to me, the best proof, is a cancelled paper check with thier stamp on the back.

lawnservice
04-06-2006, 07:37 PM
interesting debate

personally i think the old saying "screw me once...shame on you. Screw me twice...shame on me" applies here.

it was mentioned that this accountant made some mistakes before. that would have been the time to shop for another.

also another personal feeling...accountants, lawyers, insurance agents and most bankers all suck

bobbygedd
04-06-2006, 09:21 PM
what is most interesting, is that most lawnboys feel, that if THEY did a bad job, the customer shouldn't pay. HOWEVER, when the accountant did a bad job, they felt they were not entitled to a refund. :dizzy: bizzarre, to say the least.

morturf
04-06-2006, 11:45 PM
i use an accountant for everything, just figured it was safer that way. he does it online for me. i will be doing it myself from now on. i disagree about paying online being "safe". if the state needs money, they pull your name, and call you, and say you didn't pay for this quarter, this quarter, that quarter, etc . they keep picking quarters, for yrs back, hoping you don't have the proof that it was paid. then, they make u pay it again. of course, when u file online, u get a confirmation number. they will tell you, they have no record of it. then you have to prove they took the money from your account. to me, the best proof, is a cancelled paper check with thier stamp on the back.

Bobby, The new banking law will change that cancelled check with the the stamp on the back. You might get a substitute check, the electronic bank is here. I use 2 states electronic filing systems and they both provide printed conformation that the filing was made. You just print it out and put it in the file. Bank statements show the withdrawl, the amounts and the party paid. Both of the states I deal with require efile. Can't beat them, might as well join them. Some of the credit cards I use no longer give the checks back as well as Sams Club. Just a line on the bank statement. And for the record, My accountant made a mistake on my income taxes once that resulted in a balance due by me. He offered to amend the return and pay the difference at his cost, this cost was in the thousands. So tell your accountant to pony up or get a new one. As far as compensation for your time, good luck.

1MajorTom
04-07-2006, 12:46 AM
i corrected it myself, which required 2 hrs worth of phone time with the state (over 4 different phone calls, to get someone who finally knew wtf was going on). i had to stop payment on the original check, and send new one (approx 25 min time.) and a $35 stop payment fee. tell me, what does my accountant owe me?

surely you aren't trying to tell me that your time =s money, now are you? we hashed this out before, and you took the wrong side which said....time does NOT equal money. you lose.

bobbygedd
04-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Bobby, The new banking law will change that cancelled check with the the stamp on the back. You might get a substitute check, the electronic bank is here. I use 2 states electronic filing systems and they both provide printed conformation that the filing was made. You just print it out and put it in the file. Bank statements show the withdrawl, the amounts and the party paid. Both of the states I deal with require efile. Can't beat them, might as well join them. Some of the credit cards I use no longer give the checks back as well as Sams Club. Just a line on the bank statement. And for the record, My accountant made a mistake on my income taxes once that resulted in a balance due by me. He offered to amend the return and pay the difference at his cost, this cost was in the thousands. So tell your accountant to pony up or get a new one. As far as compensation for your time, good luck.
sir, i was accused of not paying . when i provided the printed confirmation, they replied, "that isn't enough proof."

bobbygedd
04-07-2006, 07:54 AM
surely you aren't trying to tell me that your time =s money, now are you? we hashed this out before, and you took the wrong side which said....time does NOT equal money. you lose.
when in rome, i do, as the romans do. he claims his time is worth #x amount. therefor, my time, is worth the same. why shouldn't it be?

YardPro
04-07-2006, 09:44 PM
YOU did not have to do anything Immediately.....

It was the accountant who made the error and he is the one liable for any mistakes he makes... that is the law, and why they are certified.

He would have had to pay any penalties, etc... not you..

bobbygedd
04-07-2006, 11:44 PM
funny, they didn't seem to give a crap about the accountant, they wanted me. :rolleyes: