PDA

View Full Version : He is going to make a landscaper out of me whether I want to be or not =)

tjgray
04-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Gone are the days that I was able to spend at home and just answer the phone and do paperwork. Gone are the hours I had to play with the four leggers or work in my gardens. No more do I have time to spend at my favorite websites reading and posting with online friends.

Spring is here and has brought with it so much work that Donald is just not able to do it all by himself and keep up with the schedule I have made for him. Since I am not to the point that I am comfortable with hiring and paying another employee yet, I must do the next best thing.....go with him and help.

For the last two days we have laid 18 pallets of sod. Yes, I am thankful of the work and the good money we have made doing so but dayuuum I don't think I have worked so hard in 5 years. My whole body aches, every muscle I have is screaming in pain, and I feel like an 80 year old woman. I can barely move!!

Who knew landscapers worked so hard!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/tjgray/000_0433.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/tjgray/000_0426.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/tjgray/000_0422.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/tjgray/000_0432.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/tjgray/000_0421.jpg

olderthandirt
04-05-2006, 06:17 PM
wait another 20 yrs :laugh: :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

sheshovel
04-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Well then your relly gonna hate me when I tell you that

sheshovel
04-05-2006, 08:31 PM
aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnddddddd

sheshovel
04-05-2006, 08:32 PM
sssssssssssssssooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy
but true

tjgray
04-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Well then your relly gonna hate me when I tell you that

Why hate....it's all a learning process thats why I come here :waving:

Since we also get the privilege of taking care of the sod I think we will be ok....but thanks for the tips *if it doesn't take off I will be begging for the Sheshovel fix it solutions :)*

Mac surely in another twenty years we will finally hire some employees to do the labor for us....surely we will...I hope :dizzy:

qps
04-05-2006, 09:08 PM
sssssssssssssssooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy
but true

Glad someone said it....not hatin but if customer was paying...they would be screaming:hammerhead:

cgland
04-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Probably one of the worst sod jobs I have ever seen! Did you lay that directly over the old turf????

Chris

DUSTYCEDAR
04-05-2006, 10:52 PM
it looks like it was laid over the old turf and that wont fly up here in pa hope it works in tx

sheshovel
04-05-2006, 10:55 PM
omg I misse that looking at the seams..looks like they DID lay directly over the old turf..totaly unacceptable..you will be taking care of dead sod soon.You really should know what your doing .He is not making a good landscaper out of you .

dcgreenspro
04-05-2006, 11:02 PM
if it stays wet it will grow. probably not as well as if it was laid on directly on the soil. i know this as a fact because we were made to do this at a very popular golf course in pa. every time we had to sod, our boss would say "green side up" or "just throw it down". Although i didn't want to live and told him it would die, every year where ever we sodded would be green and lush by the spring.:confused:

tjgray
04-05-2006, 11:46 PM
There was no turf to speak of before we laid the sod. The back lawn is a tie in with turf our customer had put down last year so it overlaps a few inches. All areas were raked and aerated before sod was laid.

Although I will admit that Donald's area of expertise is more maintenance than installation I think it will still turn out ok *yes our customer is watering frequently, and had no complaints*

I will take some more pictures in a couple of weeks when we go back out.

We have done several soddings in the same manner in the past that always turned out well but one can always improve and be better. We do have another sod job to do on Monday. Since it seems we did such a horrid job on this one what do you suggest changing?

I appreciate all of your comments, suggestions, and criticism....after all one never knows what needs to be done differently without such wonderful sites as this one to come to for advice :waving:

sheshovel
04-05-2006, 11:55 PM
I told you in the pics

Itzkcatz
04-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Wow, Ive only done like 30-40 sod jobs but that looks bad

Badgerz
04-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Ok, I think she's got the point. You can only improve.

tjgray
04-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I told you in the pics

And the pictures and your instructions were very helpful as well as appreciated. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any other suggestions other than offsetting the squares and making the seems tighter.

tjgray
04-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Ok, I think she's got the point. You can only improve.

Awww I have pretty thick skin :)

I know we are a small solo in our third year with much to learn. I know we don't have all the nice fun toys some of you bigger guys have *most of our equipment has been bought used and needing repairs...*luckily Donald's better at this than sodding:) *. I know our work can't even touch some of the true professionals I have grown to appreciate so much over the year or so I have been here. I also know that we care enough about this industry to be fully legal in it and that we are only getting busier and making more money as the years have gone by soooo....

Lawncare up to three years ago was just the husbands job *Donald's worked in chemical application for darn near 15 years*

When we started The Other Side it was with the intention to do chem apps only but.....more and more of our customers have landscaping needs as well as irrigation and lighting needs that we would like to provide for them. That put with the fact that we are small with a customer base of 40 well you understand why we would want to expand our pool of work....

Everything I know about lawn care I have learned over the last three years from fine folks such as yourselves *you know who you are:) * who have always been nothing but helpful and supportive, from reading *I read a whole bunch*, from attending classes and seminars, and here lately what work I have done helping Donald.

Before that I couldn't have even told you what types of grass there were :laugh:

Anyways I digress.....the customer was happy, we got paid $40.00 a pallet *don't think we underbid...but maybe*, I am still sore as heck, it is almost midnight and I am off to coax a massage:)

Sheshovel I will remember your advice on Monday and see if we can get better *I will take more pictures*. I hope my poor aching muscles cooperate :weightlifter:

wski4fun
04-06-2006, 02:05 AM
I am a big fan of subbing projects like that out. You make money and can learn at the same time. Sod is pretty easy once you get the right technique. Sub it out once or twice and I bet you will get more business and better results just by watching someone else do the work and you still get paid.

Coffeecraver
04-06-2006, 06:02 AM
This site will give you step by step instructions

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_index.asp?page_id=35720713

For an extra 50 cents a piece
I can get my sod company to put it down.

That would be the way to go you the sod company
that you deal with will do it.

I just get the ground prepared and call them when im ready.

Good luck
:)

kris
04-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Tara ...If you were dealing with a house that had no topsoil...a new home..

first, subsoil should be prepared to eliminate uneven areas and low lying spots, alll vegetative matter and foreign non-organic material should be removed ...rocks sticks,crap like that...Subsoil should be scarified to a depth of 100 mm..(or 4in" for you US guys) where topsoil is to be placed. ...Topsoil should then be spread over the area to be sodded.
Then, required fertilizer should be applied to and well worked into the topsoil by discing, raking or harrowing....(any way you can) at the rates specified. This should be done in advance to laying the sod.

Sod should be laid in smooth and even rows, closely knit, tight together in such a manner with no open joints visible, joints staggered a minimum of 25 cm(again about 10 inches), and no pieces are stretched or overlapped.

Sod should be laid flush with adjoining grass areas, paving and the top surface of curbs .

Only cut the sod with a sharp knife...did you cut the bed out in front of the house? Never use samll pieces and border in any outside perimiter...doing your cuts on the inside.

The sodded area should be rolled, to provide sufficient pressure, to ensure a close contact between sod and soil. Dont roll to correct bumps in the grade.
Then it should be watered... fairly heavy.

you dont need allot of equipment to do the job you did Tara...If I was new in your shoes I would have cut a nice edge where you were joining into the other lawn area ..... tilled the area, raked it out nice getting rid of all the crap...and then followed the steps Above.

WeatherMan
04-14-2006, 11:04 PM
I would suggest working with a Professional landscaper before you try doing any landscape again. Job's that look like that will only put blackmarks on your current biz. I would love to see some pics a week or two after install.

sheshovel
04-15-2006, 03:43 AM
I did not mean to dis you on this tgray..you know I can be a bit blunt about things..please don't take offence.Kris was much nicer by laying it all out for you(pun intended)thanks Kris
..I was to lazy to write all that.

Dirty Water
04-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Everyone else has said my opinions heh.

I will add that the sod itself is the saddest looking stuff I've ever seen. The sod we get here comes off the pallete the same color as the green bar on lawnsite.