PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Ad... Please Comment!!!

Clapper&Company
04-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm going to be running this ad in the local newspaper, it will reach about 80,000 people. It will be running in there "Spring " tab their doing.. Any ideas, comments on this??

Cost of Ad: $60.00

NNJLandman
04-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Looks good, I woulda just clean it up a little differently at the bottem

Professional Property Maintenance
-Lawn Service- Landscape Design & Installation
-New Lawns - Mulch - Bobcat Service - TopSoil
-Weeding etc etc etc

ALarsh
04-05-2006, 07:23 PM
edit: nevermind

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
04-05-2006, 07:26 PM
I think overall looks pretty good. Like someone said the picture is a little blurry, but that may be how it is showing up on here. Is your ad color? Is it that big in size? I think for $60 to get in front of 80k that is a steal.

mrusk
04-05-2006, 07:30 PM
If i was you i'd just list 1 service. Belive me, if you list all that you will get alot of phone calls for the most ridcoulous things.

My add reads 'Affordable landscaping paver patios, walkways, retaining walls'

I get calls from everything from news lawns, to maintence, and even weeding. My add next month will only read 'RETAINING WALLS- ITS ALL WE DO!!!". The reason why i am changing it is because out of 3 jobs i got from my news paper add 2 of them were big walls. The other job was just a 1200 bs job. My add is in the service directory btw. This ad waste so much of my time with bad leads. Some how i do pull out a decent job. The ad runs for 5 weeks and i normally pull out 1 10k job from it. The wall i am now is from the paper. $6300. The people are having a barn build and need almost 8-9k in new walls. I'm just waiting on them to find out where their septic feild is to finalize the deal on that.

Matt

PROCUT1
04-05-2006, 07:32 PM
You dont need the brand of your mower in there....Matter of fact a picture of a nice landscape will be much better than a picture of a lawnmower. If you wanted your car painted, what would be better? A pic of a freshly painted car or a pic of a compressor and spray gun?

Put the main service that you are advertising on the top. Make it the main heading of the ad. Your company name is secondary.......A prosepective client is looking for "Lawnmowing" not YOUR company.......So Lawnmowing should be the eye catcher. List all your other services secondary, definately use the large phone number and again your company name should be the last thing. Just my opinion, but I always have great results with the ads that I design myself.

Badgerz
04-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Looks good but like ProCut said, i would use a picture of a nice landscape/lawn. Your current picture makes it look like you're selling lawnmowers and most could probably care less what kind of mower you run. Just my two cents.

jpmako
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
You dont need the brand of your mower in there....Matter of fact a picture of a nice landscape will be much better than a picture of a lawnmower. If you wanted your car painted, what would be better? A pic of a freshly painted car or a pic of a compressor and spray gun?

Put the main service that you are advertising on the top. Make it the main heading of the ad. Your company name is secondary.......A prosepective client is looking for "Lawnmowing" not YOUR company.......So Lawnmowing should be the eye catcher. List all your other services secondary, definately use the large phone number and again your company name should be the last thing. Just my opinion, but I always have great results with the ads that I design myself.

Did you design the one that I just saw for Rockland? If so it looks great.
Approx what did you spend for the front cover full page ad?

Jason

PROCUT1
04-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Actually thats another Pro-Cut in rockland. We're in dutchess. Though I do get a lot of calls from them. We sold the lawn maintenance business last year with the exception of one route in a single neighborhood, so I dont advertise mowing anymore.....We do have ads running for our pavement maintenance business though.

EliteImpressions
04-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Clapper,

I have a few questions:

1. In the area you are advertising, what work do you do most often for your customers, and what is their income level and spending habit (trying to keep up with the Jones or are they the Jones family)?

2. Will anybody else be advertising in the publication that answers question 1 or something similar to question 1?

3. If there will be other companies, can you get a copy of their ad from the paper, if so post it.

Other people might think this is too much work, but if you want a great return, you must start thinking outside the box. If you do not want to do anything that I am asking atleast use an actual headline that doesnt include your name!!!

Runner
04-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Procuts ideas and comments were very accurate. Also, when you advertise like this, you can't just have something for the people to look at and glance over. you have to GIVE them something...something of value. Always ALWAYS ALWAYS give them something that is going to make that ad stand out to keep. you always want a coupon for the ad. Whether it be a 10% off, or whatever (you always make it upo in the estimate). You NEED something to GIVE the consumer.

Clapper&Company
04-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Ok guys,

The ad is to scale, thats the size thats going to be running.

It will be a color ad.

There alot of farm land around here. Some of the homes its going to reach will be $200,000 to 300,000 homes. About 75% of the homes will be $150,000 or less homes.

The reason for the LOGO is because Steiner has a CO-OP program that will pay for 50% of my ad. So the real cost for me is $30.00..

I did have them ad some coupons to it.
- 10% off Sp. Clean up
- First Cut free w/ yearly contract.
- Free Del. with Mulch install.

I will also Post a new copy of the ad, I do have time to change it before it runs.

Thanks Ron

EliteImpressions
04-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Can you change the picture and just have a little logo for that company. It would be one thing if they are paying half of an expensive campaign, but the total is only $60.

firelwn
04-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Good but get rid of mower Pic and put something green and scaped or mowed. Also wouldn,t this be an impingment on that Company? Unless that is you and your mower but it looks like you got it from a brochure. My 2cents

Badgerz
04-07-2006, 12:27 AM

The reason for the LOGO is because Steiner has a CO-OP program that will pay for 50% of my ad. So the real cost for me is $30.00..

Evergreenpros
04-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Unless I read the ad I had no idea you were a landscaping company selling your services. You have to look at your ad as your readers will. You have their attention for less than 2 seconds on a newspaper ad.

Here's a trick, let somebody you know glance at the ad for 2 seconds, then tell you everything they learned from your ad. Do it with a couple people, kids work great. If they do not tell you what you want your customers to know then change the ad.

You have to remember people do not buy products and services, they buy benefits derived from those products and services. As mentioned above it is a good idea to picture the results/benefits of your services in the form of a nice looking landscape picture. Unless you have brandname recognition there is little need to list your name in the heading, it is better to list what you are selling on the top. The name and phone number are least important in these types of ads, so being listed at the bottom is fine.

Making an ad is like painting a picture. You start with a sketch and make sure the mechanics are in order. Then you proceed to adding color and blending it all together. It's a good idea to make 3-4 different rough drafts to show people to make sure they learn what you want them to learn.

NEPSJay
04-08-2006, 10:41 PM

that steiner pic is really lame, im sorry, but its true. get rid of the mower, and, put a nice lawn pic like someone above mentioned. and pay the full 60 bucks yourself, it will look better in the long run.

gqnine44
04-09-2006, 02:55 PM
$30 isnt worth the savings for their logo to be included. Also, the phrase "leaf and tree removal" is funny to me for some reason. Who would remove a tree and leave the leaves? I know that isnt what you mean but it sort of sounds that way. :)

HOOLIE
04-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Rather then lead off with your company's name, I'd make the headline the main service that you offer. That's what people are looking for, the actual service they want, not a company name.

With the pic of the Steiner, I (if I were reading the ad) would assume mowing was your main focus...yet mowing is buried down about the 7th service listed...so just make sure the ad is consistent. If mowing is the main thing than make mowing the focus of the ad, and if there's still room you can throw in mention of your other services.

Clapper&Company
04-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Ok, They sent me a new proof today, I did change the mower and added some other changes, i'm going to have them put Lawn Care & Landscaping on the top , were Clapper & Company is now.

Check the new one out:

Robertson Lawncare
03-04-2008, 10:54 PM
the add looks pretty good, but i would get rid of those crappy steiners lol

Clapper&Company
03-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Well Thanks, but this Thread is from 2006 :D

Kinda old lol