PDA

View Full Version : Landscape rake

Mini man
04-06-2006, 07:04 PM
I have a couple of acres I am preparing for deer food plots, plow. Howard rotivator and landscape rake?
I have a CAT 262 and I can rent a landscape rake for it to remove all the stones etc.
Never used one though...do they work well ? how do you operate it? forward? backword? what kind of job does it do?

ksss
04-06-2006, 08:01 PM
They work well. Although its not an attachment you jump into and get excellent results with. I am assuming your talking about a Rock Hound type attachment not a Harley rake.

You want the soil loose but not rototiller loose if that makes sense. I usually use a scarifier to rip the soil first. If needed level the ground out with the bucket. Put the attachment on the skid steer (you operate it going backwards). I run the bucket at anywhere from 25 to 45 degrees from the flat plane of the ground until I have enough debris. I then rotate the bucket flat. Pickup the rocks and dump. The first thing inexperienced guys do is want to run the rock hound bucket flat to the ground. This will pickup too much dirt. With the bucket at the appropriate angle try and keep a thin amount of soil at the back lip of the bucket. This will ensure a level smooth result. All this may be over kill for a deer plot. Hopefully they will appreciate how smooth and flat you made it:laugh: It is a slow process and run at max. rpm this allows the teeth to do a better job raking the soil.

All this may make more sense once you get the attachment.