PDA

View Full Version : Looking at F-350's..is a deisel worth the extra 5k?

RLSLandscaping
04-06-2006, 07:22 PM
well the F-350 Deisel NEW is $5,000 more than the Gas model...what do you guys think out there? I gotta take the plunge and go new it seems..every used truck I see that's remotely decent is $26,000, I can go new for a few more thousand and have a nice warranty....I got a gravely 36, toro 22, husqy & redmax trimmers, stihl edger, stihl hedge, little wonder 10hp push look'n at 48's currently...I don't have a ton of lawns per say...but I got a ton of customers that have me do everything but weekly maint. mulch, leaves, trees, rocks, patios, sidewalks, sod, planting projects, building beds, lighting...you know the drill...I'm not hauling BEDROCK is all I'm saying....is the deisel worth it for what I need it for?

oldrustycars
04-06-2006, 08:04 PM
with diesel around here back up to $3 a gallon, i bet you'd save 5,000 the first year in fuel alone. the gasser gets terrible mileage. if you take care of the diesel, and i mean by the book and on time, it'll last forever.

biglawndog
04-06-2006, 08:56 PM
First, how many miles a year do you drive? To make it even close to worthwhile you need to drive over 20,000, closer to 30,000 a year is better.
Second, what are you hauling? If it's a 10' to 18' open trailer and your not doing alot of landscaping jobs that require bulk material such as rock, trees etc then no.
Third, the cost of fuel is alot more hence my first point, you need to drive alot of miles to make up the fuel cost difference.
Fourth, maintenance on diesels is higher, check out what an oil change cost.
Fuel filters changes are critical also.
Do you do alot of stopping and starting short hops around town or longer runs?
Answer these questions and you come up with the answer.
There is a intangible factor:DIESELS ARE COOL!:cool2:

crab
04-06-2006, 09:54 PM
talk about gas all you want,why do think used ones are are 26000$.wouldn't you rather be that guy in 3 years?.

dcondon
04-06-2006, 10:20 PM
I know Diesel fuel is more money right now but I sure feel much safer driving one everyday. I would say spend the extra $$$$ Take care of it and it will last a very long time.

bobcat9957
04-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Not in 3 years why invest the 5k in somehing that will "last forever" if you are gonna trade it in in 3 years. The guy with the gas job will get 20k so it will all equal out in the end. Just my .02

Randy J
04-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Advantages:
1. Better fuel economy
2. (much) higher resale
3. Longer life
4. Much more capable at towing

Disadvantages:
1. Purchase cost - as you've discovered
2. Diesel costs more than gas (right now anyway)
3. Bigger/heavier truck not much good for just tooling around town
4. Diesels like to run, not start and stop

Personally, given the choice (funds) I'll never own anything but diesel again. However, they aren't for everyone. If you just want to run around the city, making a lot of stops, and aren't pulling a heavy trailer, I'd go gasser. But if you pull a big load, do a lot of highway driving, or just like the sound and smell of a diesel, then go for it!

mattyg50
04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
i had an F350 5.8L and that thing sucked up the gas

i finally stepped up to a diesel, also with the help of this forum, a 1999 F350 4x4 powerstroke, and i got it for a good deal

there are deals out there if you want used

also for haulin the diesel does get better mpg than gas, it has to work less

there is also one other thing to look at
BIO-Diesel!!!

Smithers
04-07-2006, 07:27 PM
i had an F350 5.8L and that thing sucked up the gas

i finally stepped up to a diesel, also with the help of this forum, a 1999 F350 4x4 powerstroke, and i got it for a good deal

there are deals out there if you want used

also for haulin the diesel does get better mpg than gas, it has to work less

there is also one other thing to look at
BIO-Diesel!!!
mattyg,

where do you find those deals? i am dying to get an f-250, used at a good price

mattyg50
04-07-2006, 10:45 PM
i found it on ebay!!!

i bought a 1999 F350 bare bones, but does have a/c and a aftermarket cd player
and it has a flat bed, 108k, $10,000

the only thing i may do is get rid of the flat bed and put a regulare bed on

RLSLandscaping
04-08-2006, 12:04 AM
I can get a 2005 F-350 1ton 15,000mi 4x4 dually for $26,000 but I can go new for another 4 grand...thanks guys I'M going with gas!! and if I keep get'n these patio & walkway contracts I might actually get to PURCHASE a new truck!! thanks for all the input..Huge help!!

Randy J
04-08-2006, 02:37 PM
i found it on ebay!!!

i bought a 1999 F350 bare bones, but does have a/c and a aftermarket cd player
and it has a flat bed, 108k, $10,000

the only thing i may do is get rid of the flat bed and put a regulare bed on

Keep the flatbed, you'll grow to love it!

Greybeard
04-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I've had both. Now driving a F350 with 5.4 gas engine. It's a great truck for towing anything up to a 9 or 10 K trailer, and we have pulled heavy stuff cross country, 24 hours in 95 degree heat. In 89000 miles I've only replaced the serp belt and had no mechanical problems. The secret of long engine life is to keep up with fluid and filter changes (oil and filter every 3000). I sold my last three vehicle running fine at well over 200,000 miles, and none had ever had a major repair.
Diesels are OK, but don't believe the hype about mileage. Around town with typical stop and go mowing and landscaping work, they won't be a lot better than a gasser, and you definitely won't save the extra $5000 on fuel.
In heavier trucks they make sense, but unless you run 30-40,000 highway miles a year, I don't think you can financially justify it in a pickup. The repairs are real expensive, and the maintenance is not cheap.
I think a lot of guys buy them for the image and the sound. Nothing wrong with that, it's their money, but in hard numbers it doesn't pay. Good luck.

RLSLandscaping
04-09-2006, 01:43 PM
greybeard thanks man...you are just the type of person I needed to respond to this question...I drive like and old lady and I am gonna baby anything I get...I now know I can get a full life out of a 350 1 ton dump Gasser :)

Grassmechanic
04-09-2006, 07:06 PM
I've had both. I'll stay with the diesel. No more Fords, I'll stay with the Cummins. Don't believe the hype about diesel are more expensive to repair. Call a shop and auto stores like AutoZone. Compare prices for parts - they're not much difference in price. I did. My Fords never got good mileage compared to the cummins. The Fords did like to eat glow plugs. And the cummins had a lot more grunt than the Ford, especially plowing snow.

Travel'n Trees
04-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Spend the extra money on a GM. Ford first of all can and will void your warranty if you haul dirt,rock,mulch,sand,or coal. The trucks are way overrated, the egt's are to high for highway use with a load. Mileage is awful, warranty, is very lame. Warranty can be voided if you charge your cell phone in cigarette lighter in stead of power port, it's in the owner's manual. Get a extra gear and more mileage with a GM.

Scag48
04-10-2006, 02:00 AM
Spend the extra money on a GM. Ford first of all can and will void your warranty if you haul dirt,rock,mulch,sand,or coal. The trucks are way overrated, the egt's are to high for highway use with a load. Mileage is awful, warranty, is very lame. Warranty can be voided if you charge your cell phone in cigarette lighter in stead of power port, it's in the owner's manual. Get a extra gear and more mileage with a GM.

They can only void your warranty if they can PROVE what you've done to the vehicle caused failure. Pretty tough for them to prove that plugging in a cell phone charger caused a malfunction with the cigarette lighter. Same with the rest of the truck, how can you they prove you hauled dirt? And I find it hard to believe that they'd void your warranty for that.

captken
04-10-2006, 09:55 PM
First off, I'd never go back to gas after owning a F350 SD Powersroke. For most of what was mentioned above.

However,

It makes for great fun, after work, when the cars get in any other lane except behind you at a traffic light.

With the intake and exhaust mods, running a good chip, you will smoke..lol...most others at the stop light drags....in a one ton flatbed dually...:confused: can you say spooky fast?:laugh:

Travel'n Trees
04-10-2006, 10:40 PM
The attorney general is quote looking into it! But they reminded me that FORD is a large employer here in missouri. And no FORD thinks they don't have to prove anything!

montana jack
04-15-2006, 12:37 AM
All 3 diesels will change to meet the '07 emission standards, which change again in 2010. Diesel fuel cost about .40 cents a gal more than reg unleaded and with the ULSD arrival later this year, may go higher. Diesel trucks are not getting the milage they used to either, most averaging around 15-16MPG. Many gas trucks are lasting up to 200,000 miles and more. The engines will probably outlast the truck if properly maintained. A diesel engine weighs about 500lbs more than a gas engine which affects handling, wears on tires & limits payload.