PDA

View Full Version : Best FIXED spray nozzle on Market

gravelyman50
04-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi, I am starting to get into irrigation and was wondering what nozzle you guys think is the best for a fixed spray pattern?? Are the Rainbird MPR's a good choice. Could you give me some feedback on differnet nozzles you guys have used?? thanks. I appreciate it. jeff

I was also looking at all the different valves out there. I am looking for a good 1" residential valve with a flow control. So far, the hunter SRV's look decent.. Any feedback on valves?

Dirty Water
04-06-2006, 09:46 PM
For reliability, we have found that the RainBird DVF-100 is a excellent valve. Its screened solinoid adds a small advantage in dirty water situations over the competition.

As far as sprayhead nozzles, each manufacturer has its pro's and con's. We use the Rainbird MPR's on RB 1800 popups. Some nozzles are better than others. Hunter makes (in some peoples opinions) better strip sprays for doing narrow strips, but I'm pretty happy with the MPR 15SST and 9SST that RainBird offers.

SprinklerGuy
04-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Spend the extra bucks and use the PGV if you are stuck on Hunter.....DV-100 is also a good valve and is what I use.

Spray nozzles...ford v chevy in my opinion.....I use RB nozzles though.....

I can't believe I just said all that....I use to HATE rainbird....you can teach an old bald dog new tricks.

PurpHaze
04-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Spray nozzles...ford v chevy in my opinion.....

Ditto here! We use the Toro 570 pop-ups/nozzles more out of necessity than anything else. We probably have 20-30k of them in the ground spread throughout our various sites so it behooves us to stay with the 570 due to "swapability" when we get a broken sprinkler or nozzle. We just put new guts/nozzle into the existing body and we're on our way to the next one.

But... I've used Rainbird and Hunter sprays/nozzles on other systems with great success and satisfaction.

greenscapes,inc.
04-06-2006, 11:10 PM
I use rainbird nozzle and hunter pop-ups. All hunter products have been excellent for me and that is what I use. Toro, in my opinion makes terrible nozzles and valves. I cant count how many toro valves I have replaced.

PurpHaze
04-06-2006, 11:23 PM
All hunter products have been excellent for me and that is what I use. Toro, in my opinion makes terrible nozzles and valves. I cant count how many toro valves I have replaced.

We use Irritrol "Century Plus" (FC-100) valves but they're too spendy for the average homeowner and would be overkill in that respect. Some are 35+ years old (original James Hardie design) and a few still have metal solenoids and are still merrily plugging away. We have started using the Hunter ICVs for the WVC systems we've put in and I have to say we've had 50% failure rate on the diaphragms allowing "weep-by". But they're exchanged without question and we swap in the new diaphragms and we're back in business. However, this failure rate would be totally unacceptable if I were in business for myself.

Az Gardener
04-06-2006, 11:30 PM
I agree the Toro 570's are junk. I too had thousands in the ground and resisted changing for a long time but have finally gone to the Rainbirds. Whatever you do stay away from the Weathermatic valves, big solenoid problems, going on 3 years now. Can't remember the model # but I'm sure someone else does.

Wet_Boots
04-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Weathermatic claims the solenoid issue is now past history. I got some further info from a rep, who said the problems required some dozens of hours of solenoid operation to develop, so valves installed in areas with wetter-than-usual weather were not racking up the hours of runtime needed to bring on early failure, adding to the confusion. It would be nice if W*M issued a service memo on the problem, just to show one and all that they were taking responsibility. I don't use their valves, so if they did issue a memo, I could have missed it.

Toro spray nozzles do have one nice feature, which is the little rubber flow restrictor built into them, to cut down on fogging. Also, Toro had a few patterns that Rainbird didn't, which means that when I absolutely needed 4x18 strip nozzles, I'd use Toro throughout, and in heavier (not sandy) soils, no real regrets. (other than the occasional semi-clogged 4x18 strip nozzle, which may be one reason that Rainbird never bothered to make a copy) - the original 570s (not the 570z or 570c) all developed worn seals, with serious flow-by problems that could keep the heads from popping up.

(Psssst! Hey Purp! Thosen Irritrol Century valves are Hydro-Rain designs, purchased by Hardie - even Rainbird sold Hydro-Rain valves made with the Rainbird name on them)

PurpHaze
04-07-2006, 09:30 AM
(Psssst! Hey Purp! Thosen Irritrol Century valves are Hydro-Rain designs, purchased by Hardie - even Rainbird sold Hydro-Rain valves made with the Rainbird name on them)

Yeah, you're right. I totally forgot about Hydro-Rain. So we have Hydro-Rain purchased by Hardie purchased by Irritrol purchased by Toro. :laugh:

SprinklerGuy
04-07-2006, 09:55 AM
And they get more expensive by the day.....I have some 2 inch 100 series valves for sale....I will never use them again......sigh.

DanaMac
04-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Rainbird. Period.

Hate the Hunters. Hate the Toro.

DanaMac
04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
You might be able to tell because I am posting a bunch, but it's snowing today so my schedule is shot.

SprinklerGuy
04-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Me too.....I am going to go try to do a couple though...snow or no snow....I can't get behind as I am a lowly solo op ;) who is much happier that way right now!

DanaMac
04-07-2006, 11:44 AM
I'll still do a few today as well.

SprinklerGuy
04-07-2006, 12:08 PM
But I don't want to...I want to stay home and watch the Masters.

Wet_Boots
04-07-2006, 02:22 PM
I only watch golf tournaments to see if the sprinklers come on accidentally :p

gusbuster
04-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Rainbird. Period.
now which fixed spray nozzle you like of the r.b.? The regular mpr's or the newer undercut(u-series) nozzles.

Me, when ever possible, it's the u-series nozzles. Excellent in windy areas with that flat 8' spray.

Beartooth
04-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Both the Rain Bird MPR and the Hunter Pro-spray have been very effective for our operation. Irritrol makes an excellent fixed spray canopy nozzle. Irritrol's VAN nozzles are also very good.

DanaMac
04-08-2006, 09:50 AM
now which fixed spray nozzle you like of the r.b.? The regular mpr's or the newer undercut(u-series) nozzles.

I use both. Only use the undercut when needed though, since they cost more. But the undercuts have really helped us the last 3-4 years due to 2 or 3 day water restrictions, and bad design and installations from other contractors and homeowners.

PurpHaze
04-10-2006, 09:42 AM
But I don't want to...I want to stay home and watch the Masters.

Being a golfer... great Masters. Lefty strikes again. :clapping:

I only watch golf tournaments to see if the sprinklers come on accidentally.

Four hour rain delay on Saturday but no sprinklers. :laugh:

VWBOBD
04-11-2006, 02:44 AM
I USED RAIN BIRDS IN MY SELF INSTALLED SYSTEM, AS A HOMEOWNER DIY GUY I FELT LIKE IT WAS EASY AND PRACTICAL CAUSE I CAN GO TO LOWES OR HD AND GET REPLACEMENT PARTS IF NEEDED. I DID HOWEVER GO WITH ORBIT VALVES, DUE TO THE FACT THAT I HAD OBTAINED A SET OF PROFESSIONAL QUALITY 12 ZONE TIMERS THAT WERE ORBIT BRAND . ONE OF THEM WAS DOA AND THE GUY AT ORBIT HOOKED ME UP WITH A NEXT DAY SHIPPED REPLACEMENT AS WELL AS LET ME KEEP THE DOA ONE AND EVEN SENT ME A NEW TRANSFORMER FOR IT WHICH WAS THE PROBLEM. IN A NUT SHELL.......FREE TIMER :cool2:
THREE YEARS AFTER INSTALLING THE 22 ZONE SYSTEM I HAVE NOT EVEN HAD TO REPLACE THE FIRST PART OR MAKE ANY REPAIRS , ALL I DO IS PURGE SYSTEM FOR WINTER:drinkup:

koster_irrigation
04-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Rainbird! I installed TORO for 10 years, and mainly got alot of clogged nozzles after being in the ground for awhile.

Not saying rainbirds dont clog- but not like TORO's do. The actual Toro sprinkler body is fine, but they are still behind on the nozzles.

TOROS VAN Nozzles are trash dont waste your time.

YardPro
04-15-2006, 08:10 AM
i love the hunter bodies pro spray, and institutional spray's

hate thier nozles though... we use the rainbird nozzles on them....

we have a much lower seal failure rate with the hunter than the rainbird in out pure sand soils..

SprinklerGuy
04-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I wish there was a way to put a RB raincurtain nozzle in a PGP...;)

It is funny how most that responded love RB spray nozzles and hate Hunter's nozzles....great minds at Lawnsite think alike?

Scott's
04-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi, I am starting to get into irrigation and was wondering what nozzle you guys think is the best for a fixed spray pattern?? Are the Rainbird MPR's a good choice. Could you give me some feedback on differnet nozzles you guys have used?? thanks. I appreciate it. jeff

I was also looking at all the different valves out there. I am looking for a good 1" residential valve with a flow control. So far, the hunter SRV's look decent.. Any feedback on valves?
I use Toro 570 and nozzle, As far as valves, irritrol 2400. And I like irritrol 400 heads with rb nozzles. I dont really care for the rb Q. To each his own.