PDA

View Full Version : New hardscaping toy!

cgland
04-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Here is a new toy for our hardscaping crews.

Chris

Dirty Water
04-06-2006, 08:58 PM
A backhoe/loader is truely the workhorse of a construction site. They are versatile.

Good looking rig. Kubota was having a killer deal on financing lately, how did you make out?

While its not a flexable as a team of a skid and a mini-ex, it does eliminate one operator, (or lots of climbing out of cabs and into other ones). I really dislike using a backhoe in cramped quarters though, too much manueavering around to get where you want.

cgland
04-06-2006, 09:23 PM
The financing was a great deal. I couldn't pass it up. We financed the L39 and a Pequea 10K# trailer for $780/month for 5 years with no money down. I agree with the tight quarters thing. We will use this on wall projects or better access sites. Plus it's great to use on softscaping jobs. We toyed around with getting another skid steer, but we needed something more versatile for now. Next year we will get another skidder.

Chris

crab
04-06-2006, 09:43 PM
real cute ,at least you got a good finance rate.try unlocking the brakes in tight areas.:sleeping:

blakeg314
04-06-2006, 09:47 PM
thats a nice loader

Dirty Water
04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
real cute ,at least you got a good finance rate.try unlocking the brakes in tight areas.:sleeping:

Sometimes small machines are what you need. For Softscapes you want something that won't tear the turf, this TLB is one machine that can (at a small scale) replace a mini-ex and a skid steer and do less damage than either.

That said, here is my part time toy that we use from time to time..We maintain a large condo complex, and they own it: (Not the actual one, same model though)

http://www.farmequipmentunlimited.com/chiltontractor/ford555d.jpg

cgland
04-06-2006, 09:58 PM

Besides an *******, who are you?

Chris

sheshovel
04-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Congrats on the new toy CGland it's soo purty and red too!

Dirty Water
04-06-2006, 10:07 PM

If thats red, I want to see what you think Orange is.

lawncare18
04-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Lets See More Pics Of All Your Other Toys You Got... Im Sure You Have A Lot Of Other Nice Trucks And Toys Post Em All Up For Us To Enjoy!!!!

sheshovel
04-06-2006, 10:13 PM
OK purty and dark Orange too!

DUSTYCEDAR
04-06-2006, 10:14 PM
the tlb is great for digging and u can weld a squeegee on the ho to do walkways with min overdig

crab
04-06-2006, 10:19 PM
i,m not actually a ******* ,well maybe i am, but any way i just don't get the point of a semi mini backhoe.congrats, but it was posted cant i put my 2 cents in ?.I've already seen why rougher comments on this site ,and what I've added prior,though limated to other posts has been helpful.i am new at this but not the game,just because you have been here longer don't assume you know more.by the Way peq makes great trailers.

CAG
04-06-2006, 10:41 PM
nice machine!!! we have a b21 that is getting a little small for our jobs, but is still a great powerful machine.. I cant even think of the power that one has!! give us some feed back when you get a chance the people on tractor by net say they are really awesome machines!!

jreiff
04-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Might be early yet, but how does the back hoe dig? Does it do a pretty good job? When you get a chance let me know. Was thinking about adding one to the back of our new holland for smaller jobs. Tractor looks good. Put that thing to work.

jreiff
04-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Is that bucket a quick change? Can you ise skidsteer attachments with the Kubota?

Dreams To Designs
04-07-2006, 07:19 AM
Chris, why did you choose the L39 over the L48? What is the lift capacity of the L39, can it lift a pallet of pavers or wall stone? A TLB seems like the ideal machine for a combination of digging and moving soil. Best of luck with that machine, Kubota's seem to be indestructible.

Kirk

kris
04-07-2006, 07:39 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=17231&highlight=Kubota

Chris ...the first year we had ours it got used all the time .... after that it went downhill and we got to the point that it was being used less than 200 hrs a year .. unacceptable for a piece of equipment worth that much .
We sold it, put the money towards another skid and more attachments... including a backhoe attachment.

They are nice machines ... and never had a lick of trouble with it.

GreenMonster
04-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Chris,

purty machine. hope it works well for you.

IMHO, it seems a tbl would be best for softscapes, or small hardscapes -- like a small walkway with good access. I like the minix/skid combo because of the versatility, and I don't like the ineffecienty of constantly repositioning a tbl. But, a tbl would be nice for the small jobs so you wouldn't have to haul in two pieces of equipment.

but hey, I don't have one, so I'm really just speculating. I think a mini skid will be next for me.

mrusk
04-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I can't stand a TLB!!! I'm buying a skid with in 2 weeks, and than a minx! After that proably a bomag pad foot roller.

PAPS Landscape Design
04-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I would have to agree with a few guys on here and not waste my money on that, i cant justify 45K for that thing... its a toy alright. :hammerhead: But just my opinion, maybe its a good buy for you.

cgland
04-07-2006, 06:44 PM
The hoe works great! We really put it to work right off the bat! The whole reason behind a "mini-backhoe" is to minimize turf damage while still being able to dig the SH** out of stuff. This machine will be used mostly on smaller hardscape projects and softscapes. We already have a skid steer, so a more versatile machine was needed to compliment our equipment. I don't plan on having this machine replace a skidder, but it will work out nicely on most of out jobs. We plan on buying another skidder next year, but the thought of having to truck 2 machines and a hardscape trailer to each site is a bit much. We will switch back and forth from crew to crew for a while untill it gets old. If you do alot of softscaping as we do, this machine is better than gold! IMO this machine is way better than the old L35!

Chris

Lazer_Z
04-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Very nice machine Chris & good luck with it.

Rob

GreenMonster
04-07-2006, 08:04 PM
This machine will be used mostly on smaller hardscape projects and softscapes.

having to truck 2 machines and a hardscape trailer to each site is a bit much.

For what you're planning to do with it Chris, I think it will be a great machine.

I want to do the whole hardscape trailer thing too, but like you're saying, it's a big of a logistical problem moving two machines and the h/s trailer is going to be a bit of a burden, especially on the smaller 1-3 day h/s jobs.

mrusk
04-07-2006, 08:38 PM
For what you're planning to do with it Chris, I think it will be a great machine.

I want to do the whole hardscape trailer thing too, but like you're saying, it's a big of a logistical problem moving two machines and the h/s trailer is going to be a bit of a burden, especially on the smaller 1-3 day h/s jobs.

Equipment gets dropped off the night before the job starts. Are you could drop the hardscape trailer off before.

Matt

cgland
04-07-2006, 09:18 PM
What would you waste your money on PAPS?

Chris

mbella
04-07-2006, 09:24 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mbella
04-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Last year, I utilized a skid steer and an L-35, just like Chris. Over the winter, I sold the L-35 and bought another skid steer. I have to say, somtimes, I wish I had the L-35, or an L-39 like Chris. I don't regret what I did because I sold my L-35 for a larger skid steer that can move pallets of pavers, but I miss the versatility that a skid steer/tbl combo provide.

If I could only have two machines, I would do exactly as Chris has done. For a hardscaper/softscaper that is limited to two machines, these two machines are the two machines to have. I'm not saying that because I'm friends with Chris. Actually, I can't stand him, I just agree with him in this case.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

cgland
04-07-2006, 09:42 PM
At least someone's on my side.................................................I think?!?!?

Chris

Dirty Water
04-07-2006, 09:50 PM
At least someone's on my side.................................................I think?!?!?

Chris

I am...

Sheesh.

I guarantee you that the Crab guy and the few other people giving a you a real hard time probably don't own any equipment at all.

Does that hoe use ISO or SAE controls?

cgland
04-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Standard backhoe controls.

Chris

pondfishr
04-07-2006, 09:58 PM
What is the HP rating of the machine? I am intetrerested in how it digs also when you get a chance to try it out..

cgland
04-07-2006, 10:03 PM
The hp is 39. It digs great! I dug out some stumps with it and it did very well. The controls are very smooth and the inching capability is really good.

chris

mbella
04-07-2006, 10:21 PM
I am...

Sheesh.

I guarantee you that the Crab guy and the few other people giving a you a real hard time probably don't own any equipment at all.

Does that hoe use ISO or SAE controls?

That's Standard A-hole Equipment in Chris' case.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kris
04-07-2006, 10:32 PM

Chris

Hell,I am on your side Chris .... I used ours all the time. They are great machines.
I Can't really pinpoint the reason ours started to get left at the shop more and more. I believe it is when we got more skids and it just started to get used for more specialty jobs.

MarcusLndscp
04-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I think it's really adorable Chris.....it suits your girlish looks quite well:laugh:

Brother1
04-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey Chris - looks like a great machine and what u'r using it for is a good fit. We have a New Holland LS180 skid steer now wiht a Bradco 611 backhoe attachment. Machine is real powerful and easy to use but it's a load to move and not always the best to bring to some jobs. We're selling the backhoe attachment now (if anyone is looking) and in the meantime will rent a mini-ex. The skid steer is great with the forks for moving pallets of material and useful in the winters for moving snow and loading salt. The goal is to get a mini-ex and than maybe a used machine like yours for jobs where the skid steer will do too much damage to the lawns and to keep one as a yard machine while the other is out on jobs. We shall see how that goes. Best of luck with yours. We've used them in the past and they work real well.

Drafto
04-08-2006, 05:50 PM
We have used an L35 from time to time in the past. For some reason this year I have all SS and mini-x rentals booked. In open spaces the L35 is great, but in tighter spaces, moving material efficiently, and grading we exclusivly use the SS. The L35 definatley has its place, it is nice on the lot when we load materials, we use it for trenching drains.............I am a fan of the purchase. I am curious though, for 30K you could have bought a nice mini-X, I know you are not a huge fan of them though. I am not 100% sure of what you business mainly consists of also, for installs and softscaping you bought a great tool.

Dan

cgland
04-08-2006, 08:08 PM
A mini-x I such a dedicated machine and my goal for this year was to get this second hardscape crew rolling. We do a fair amount of softscaping, so the L39 was a no-brainer. We will most likely buy another skidder next year, but for now this machine was a perfect fit..................plus it matches my purse!:laugh:

Chris

kootoomootoo
04-08-2006, 10:16 PM
$700 a month and free air con.
Hope it has a drink holder.

The right color too.

NJemerald
04-10-2006, 10:25 PM
NICE Machine Chris! I totally agree with you on the reason for one... We're on the small end of hardscapes (for now) and for the same reasons... We went with a BX23 purchase for versatility and damage control on customer sites. Even when the time comes to up-size... I can see keeping this machine around for size and maneuverability in / on small sites!

just my 2 cents :drinkup:

Bryan

mrusk
04-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I think a minx is pretty veratile for a hardscape crew. I often rent one to do make the cut or dig the trench for the retaining wall. Then i use it to chuck the quarry process in the trench. Then i use it to back fill. You can also load wheel barrell with it.

But i guess the L39 is better on soft scapes then a minx. I do no soft scapes so i don't know much about machine would work best.