PDA

View Full Version : Best Edging install methods

smithsonmi
05-07-2001, 10:05 AM
What are some of the best methods you guys have found for installing edging? Either metal or plastic. Do you end up using all hand tools or do you cut a small ditch with a power tool? I heard somewhere someone pulling edging like you pull sprinkler pipe.

What are your methods?

Guido
05-07-2001, 03:24 PM
On smaller jobs its just not practical or possible sometimes to use a trencher, so you may be better of doing it the old fashioned way; pick and shovel.

If you can, I've seen bed edgers and small trenchers of the like used and it has worked great on large runs of edging.

Just curious, what type of edging are you using, and what will you be using to stake it down?

Hope this helped!

smithsonmi
05-07-2001, 10:32 PM
I have gone with Oly-Ola plastic edging that has no 'ball' on top...looks like metal edging when installed but it easier to work with. It is staked down with 4 metal stakes/20' length. It comes straight, not looped which is better. HOWEVER, it is difficult on straight runs to stay straight and not wavy. Metal would be better in that regard but on curves, these waves don't really show up.
The pieces are attached with another piece of plastic that slips over the top of the edging...also the plastic is easy to cut over roots or irrigation pipes or taper up to driveways etc..

Look at http://www.olyola.com