PDA

View Full Version : I'm venting, I'm Ticked and I need a reality check

cpritch
04-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I come home for lunch today, greeted by my 4 beautiful dogs. . .:rolleyes: I take them for their walk, eat lunch and there is a stir outside which riles them all up. . .this is not at ALL unusual. The wind blowing drives them all out of doors to bark so I think nothing of it. They are out in the yard running the fence barking and whooping it up when I leave. I step outside to get back to work and what do I see. . . Tru Green Chem Lawn at my neighbor's house. Two guys, one spraying the front, one spraying the back. Nevermind that the wind was blowing a steady 25-30 mph today, I stood there at my truck and watched the guy in the back yard, who was spraying right up to and at my fence, which is a wooden 5' pickett fence. Well, my dogs are up against that fence barking at this applicator and he is basically spraying whatever the chemical of the day is right at them. Lividly, psychotically angry would not even begin to describe my feelings at that point.

Nevermind that our yard/lot is lower and that everything from his yard flows into our yard just at the hint of rain, or if he decides to run his sprinkler system all night which is typically the case.

So, calmly (or, so I think. . .) I walk up to the applicator and ask him to please not spray near the fence because of the dogs. He assures me that the chemicals are safe, that no harm will come to the dogs because of what they are spraying, blah, blah, blah. I say, that's great, but nonetheless, I would really appreciate it if you could just not spray near the fence. Then comes the whole "well, the property line is at your fence. . ."

So, before I go start a lot of sh*t with my neighbor, any suggestions? Just live with it? I'm thinking of putting up a plastic sheet along my fence on that side with big signs on it saying "KEEP SYNTHETIC CHEMICALS AWAY FROM FENCE" to give my neighbor a small hint. :laugh:

I know there really isn't anything that I can do. And I know that I'm overly sensitive about chemicals in general...my husband would attest to that. And I know that organics aren't necessarily safer than synthetics, but I can honestly say that what I've put on my yard so far this year IS SAFER (compost and corn gluten) and it's hard for me to look at someone clothed in a rubber suit from his feet to his hips, from his hands to his elbows telling me that what they are spraying is "safe." Okay, if it's "safe", why all the gear??

sheshovel
04-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Call his boss and tell him what happened and that you are going to file suit if his applicators continue to apply chemicals in windy conditions and if anything happens to your dogs.Get some pics of him doing it too.

Microbe
04-07-2006, 07:50 AM
How can organics BE JUST AS DANGEROUS AS CHEMICALS? Impossible I say to the least! You'll never find me spraying 2,4D which is a toxic poison anywhere on any of my property. The only thing I spray is compost tea's and kelp which IS FULLY EDIBLE AND FULLY NON TOXIC TO DOGS, PEOPLE, EVEN A MOUSE! You need to do some more reading, because a comment like that is just outragous and completely FALSE!!!!!! Give me one example of how organics can be harmful to A LIVING ANIMAL OR PERSON? Just one..... I understand that if a guy who doesn't know his a$$ from his elbow spilled a huge bag of bio solids on the ground which I NEVER USE, and a dog ate it, then mabye..... But in no way would a package of praying mantis eggs, or lady beetles be in anyway be as HARMFUL as MELETHION or any "TRUGREEN, LESCO, POISON which does nothing anyway, except KILL all that it touch's.

Now if that was my lawn, and my property, I would have ran inside, gotten my video camera or photo camera, TAKEN PHOTO"S OR VIDEO AND CALLED MY LAWYER!!!!! He never sent you out a notice right? THEY NEVER DO! You could have had a pretty substantial law suit. I would have sue'd for a few 100,000 for "PSYCHOLOGICAL, PHYSICAL damage, and ENDANGERING THE WELFARE OF AN ANIMAL," or to somehting of that measure! Be peace with your neighbor she/he doesn't know any better....... THey just hired the WORST SERVICE KNOWN TO MAN KIND, but yet has the largest marketing service around......... TRUE GREEN IS TRUE DANGER!!!!!!

Norm Al
04-07-2006, 07:59 AM
you do realise that trugreen only sprays water right?

cpritch
04-07-2006, 10:04 AM
How can organics BE JUST AS DANGEROUS AS CHEMICALS?

The reason that I say that is because of examples like this: I ran across a "recipe" for an organic insecticide which uses Rhubarb leaves. There was a note at the bottom of the recipe stating that "rhubarb leaves contain oxytin, which if ingested by humans, will cause them to have a heart attack and die." How is that safe? When I think of using things in and outside of my home, I want to know that my husband, my dogs, any neighbor kids, whatever, can practically eat the stuff and walk away with a little more protein possibly, but that's it.

I'm all about organics, seriously, but you still have to be careful with what you are doing. I've seen people say that a million times on this board alone. I didn't mean to offend you, or anyone by saying that. And you're right, I still have A LOT to learn, so I'll get back to reading. :waving:

And no, there was no notification that they were coming, but you can bet I'll be making some calls today. Thanks!

muddstopper
04-08-2006, 10:23 PM
I have eaten rhubar for years and I aint dead yet. Matter of fact, I like it and grow it in my garden.

1MajorTom
04-09-2006, 01:19 AM
I have eaten rhubar for years and I aint dead yet. Matter of fact, I like it and grow it in my garden.
You eat the stalk though not the leaves right? Rhubar is great, ever have rhubar pie?

Up North
04-09-2006, 02:07 AM
You eat the stalk though not the leaves right? Rhubar is great, ever have rhubar pie?

ahhhhh, can't wait till our rhubarb breaks ground! My wife makes several rhubarb pies each year, very tasty indeed. She's got a few rhubarb desert recipes that are awesome.

Anyway, getting back to the thread...now I know it seems like it may have been too windy to be spraying on that particular day, but in reality if you pay TruGreen or anyone for that matter to come out and fert a lawn, I'd hope they'd spray right up to the fence. If it was my lawn and they didn't spray my entire lawn...I'd have a problem with it. And personally if it were my dog (or dogs in this case) and if my neighbor was having their lawn sprayed it'd be up to me as a dog owner to keep them away from that area, I can't expect the neighbor to watch out for my dogs on my property. In your scenario, other then spraying in too much wind I don't see anything wrong with what the applicators did.

Buck

TurfProSTL
04-09-2006, 02:25 AM
How can organics BE JUST AS DANGEROUS AS CHEMICALS? Impossible I say to the least!Organics, as you call them, are made up of chemicals. Everything is. Ever heard of nicotine?

Give me one example of how organics can be harmful to A LIVING ANIMAL OR PERSON? Just one..... What's that stuff you tree huggers use for grubs? Milky spore disease hurts (some) grubs. Insects would be animals.

I understand that if a guy who doesn't know his a$$ from his elbow spilled a huge bag of bio solids on the ground which I NEVER USE, and a dog ate it, then mabye..... See? Anything used incorrectly can have negative effects.

as MELETHION or any "TRUGREEN, LESCO, POISON which does nothing anyway, except KILL all that it touch's. It's malathion. And your chemical paranoia has you posting like a raving idiot. :dizzy:

Now if that was my lawn, and my property, I would have ran inside, gotten my video camera or photo camera, TAKEN PHOTO"S OR VIDEO AND CALLED MY LAWYER!!!!! He never sent you out a notice right? THEY NEVER DO! You could have had a pretty substantial law suit. I would have sue'd for a few 100,000 for "PSYCHOLOGICAL, PHYSICAL damage, and ENDANGERING THE WELFARE OF AN ANIMAL," or to somehting of that measure!
Not all states require neighbor notification. The applicator should not have been applying if the wind was blowing at 25 mph. I would report the incident to the state pesticide licensing agency! BTW, the customer has the right to have every inch of their property serviced whether adjoining neighbors like it or not.

:rolleyes:

I don't think you help your anti-chemical agenda one bit with mindless rants like these.....

NattyLawn
04-09-2006, 09:14 AM
TurfPro...You make some good points, but why do you have to throw stuff in like tree hugger? If using an IPM appraoch to chemicals or none at all, is that so bad? So many LCO's and homeowners for that matter see something wrong and just dump chemicals down without even thinking about other methods of correcting the problem, and the effect on the environment. Most just go with the easiest method out there. If putting down none or using an IPM appraoch to chemicals, I hope there are a lot of treehuggers out there.

Wasn't there a thread about a year or so ago where you (TurfPro) said you would roll around in the turf an hour after a weed control app because the label said it was OK to do?

muddstopper
04-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Those that Know Not and Knows Not that they Know Not are Fools,
Those that Know Not and Knows they Know Not are wise
Those That Know and Know they Know are Leaders.
Those that Think they Know but Know Not, are worse than fools.

YardPro
04-09-2006, 09:39 AM
How can organics BE JUST AS DANGEROUS AS CHEMICALS?

you should learn more about chemistry before you make dumb statements like that.

the term "organic" only means that a chemical has a carbon center or backbone.

a chemical is a combination of more than one molecule.

"organics" as you use the term ARE chemicals.

the first post was stating it much more correctly.. natural and synthetic......
those terms are much more appropriate.

nicotine is a natural compound (produced by tobacco plants to prevent animals from eating them). It is an "organic" pesticide that is extremely toxic. So much so that is you buy it you WILL have an inspection from the NC dept of ag. .... it is super bad stuff... and it's organic....

lots of plants like oleanders produce very toxic compounds.. eat oleander leafs and you WILL die... Ever hear of "oleander tea"?

you should really not go so much off the deep end with the poor informatoin you have in this subject area. It makes you sound like a knee jerk "tree hugger" who is ranting about things they know VERY little about. It also makes it very easy for people to win arguments against you becuase it becomes very easy to discredit your statements and make you look very ignorant on this subject.

so before you go on a rant like the one above, how about learning a little bit about what you are going hysterical about.

as for the thread starter...
in NC it is a violation to spray ANY chemical if the wind is above 10mph. Report them to the porper authority. get a record of the local wind velocities that day and call the appropriate governing body.

also nontarget runoff is a very serious problem. have someone come over and test your soils for contamination.. if you have any then sue.

the 2-4-D has a very low vapor pressure and will gass off before it gets into the soil, and most lawn chemicals have very short lived lives (soil bacteria break them down), so i would get someone out very quickly.

the main concern if they were applying a "trimec" product (2-4D, dicaamba, and mcpp) will be the dicamba. it has the longest soil half life.

and keep in mind that there are many VERY safe lawn chemicals out there. Roundup being one of the safest things you can use. It has NO affects on mammels whatsoever... it has vess VOC (measure of toxicisity) than table salt.

i can apprecate your concern with TG. They are by far one of the most irresponsible applicators out there.