PDA

View Full Version : Tree removal services

Ramairfreak98ss
04-07-2006, 11:51 AM
I am not a tree removal service, but i can move smaller trees. I have a quote that a customer asked to remove a 50'+ tree from behind a building, it has a fence next to it, and a neighbors yard next to it with play equipment underneath. It would need to be removed limb by limb.

Who charges what for this type of service? I figured id atl east call a tree removal company locally to give me a quote, so that if i decide i do not want to remove it myself, i will just subcontract them to remove the one tree and stump. They said $2,000 lol. Is this off or is that how much it really is?

I was going to charge them $1,600 in the quote to remove it, then i figured add $400 to cover any mistake i may make in the "guess" of its removal price. Now i have to charge more than that so i make money off of this part of the quote still. Why does it cost so much? They will be removing the stump too and taking the wood.

If i take it down myself, even eating up 2 days worth of time isnt bad to save that amount on my quote, plus someone will take the wood cutup as firewood or a family member...:dancing:

waltero
04-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't do it. First of all you probably don't have the right insurance so if something did happen or damage from a falling limb hit the house, fence, etc.... you would be completely liable. This kind of work is very dangerous, it is easy to look at a tree and decide that you are going to climb it and start chopping off branches until you get 50ft in the air, and you obviously lack the right tools and experience,and have to top the tree.

Insurance for this kind of work is very expensive, because it is so dangerous. I isn't uncommon to hear of someone who is experienced and has the proper tools getting hurt or even killed. trees can be very unpredictable even for experienced people. Let the people who have the knowledge and the proper insurance tackle this job.

Let us know how you make out.

Walter

JS Landscaping
04-07-2006, 06:15 PM
What kind of tree is it? How is the access to the site? If it is climb only and you cant get a bucket truck in there this could make the price go higher. We do tree removal as apart of our services and as said before it is very dangerous and you have to know what your doing. Its not simply chopping limb by limb off. It takes an experience ground man as well to know how to run the ropes to lower each piece down saftely. There is a "company" in my area who does tree removals in addition to thier attempts at landscaping and lawncare, and its down right scary seeing them do what they do. Climbs the tree with no saftey harness, no hardhat, no eye protection or ear protection, no saftey lines. Just his flip line which is a piece of rope that wraps around his waiste through his belt loops and then around the tree, a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and tennis shoes besides to his POS saw. His "ground men" wear no personal protection equipment what so ever. Its a accident waiting to happen. Being cut by a saw on the ground is bad enough, being 50 feet up a tree makes it 10 times worse. I would definatly pass it along to a tree service and let them handle it. You dont want to ruin your reputation or loose what you have made over one job.

James
JS LANDSCAPING

Rollacosta
04-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Leave all tree work ,to the professionals,even with a bucket it's easy to make mistakes,take it from me I have been in the tree service bizz for near on 20 years.. Try www.arboristsite.com there's bound to be a tree service on there to do the job for you safely and put a few shekels in your pocket at the same time..

start2finish
04-08-2006, 09:56 AM
10% markup is plenty, but is $200.00 worth the chance of the contractor screwing up and causing you many headaches. not to mention lawsuits, now if you reccomend the company then you are out of the legal issues and are helping a customer. If you aren't equipped for trees and have the experience then you are taking a unnecessary risk.

Coffeecraver
04-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Leave all tree work ,to the professionals,even with a bucket it's easy to make mistakes,take it from me I have been in the tree service bizz for near on 20 years.. Try www.arboristsite.com there's bound to be a tree service on there to do the job for you safely and put a few shekels in your pocket at the same time..

Ditto's

Good Luck
:)