PDA

View Full Version : long or short?

Kumi
04-07-2006, 04:55 PM
I wear both but which do you guys wear for mowing: shorts or pants?

zim bob the landscaper
04-07-2006, 09:33 PM
i always where pants never shorts.

Kumi
04-08-2006, 02:43 AM
how do you stand the heat? the only way i can stand 90 degrees or so when mowing is to wear light colored shorts,and light shirt with the top 2 buttons undone. :confused:

Madstriper
04-08-2006, 04:00 AM
how do you stand the heat? the only way i can stand 90 degrees or so when mowing is to wear light colored shorts,and light shirt with the top 2 buttons undone. :confused:

He is from Mass. They only think they know what hot is up there. They can actually get in the shade and cool off in the summers up there.

Lawn Masters
04-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I wear pants year round. reason being I really dislike things that hit me in the legs while trimming. the heat is a small detail to me.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-08-2006, 11:57 AM
I wear long pants only.

lawnspecialties
04-08-2006, 06:19 PM
I wear shorts year-round. In the winter I might have on two shirts, a sweatshirt, gloves and a hat, but still shorts.;)

Kumi
04-09-2006, 09:48 AM
I wear pants year round. reason being I really dislike things that hit me in the legs while trimming. the heat is a small detail to me.
not to mention having really hairy legs and having to brush grass out of it :laugh: i honestly have to do that when i wear shorts and mow/trim. it's both annoying and humorous at the same time.

zim bob the landscaper
04-16-2006, 03:41 PM
heat doesnt bother me i normally keep workin try to get it done as fast and as nice as posible. i also hate when i trim and rocks fly up. alot do because i also edge with the weed whip.

mcwlandscaping
04-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Have always worn shorts but have been wearing pants all the time so far this year, keeps stuff out of my shoes, protects my legs, and it does look more professional as i don't have nice cargo shorts, i just have basketball shorts

J&R Landscaping
04-16-2006, 07:53 PM
90% of the time I wear Work pants but there are some days I break out and wear shorts. Always wear a light t-shirt or muscle shirt, and steel toed work boots, my hat and sun/saftey glasses!

stihlgirl
04-19-2006, 01:33 AM
I always wear long pants. If I'm riding the mower, my knees don't get burned, and if I'm weedeating, those rocks don't sting so badly.

mulcahy mowing
04-19-2006, 02:53 PM
shorts nice cargo shorts:usflag:

Bustus
04-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Shorts are the way to go

greenjeans_il
04-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Pants. Protection from debris and more professional. Dickie's are great. Not to hot, not to thin.

RedWolf
04-20-2006, 11:59 PM
I wear jeans,a light Tshirt,hightop boots and,safty glasses.but them rocks still sting.

CrewCutEnterprises
04-21-2006, 12:20 AM
dickies Double knee pants.. year round.

Great to keep grass out of your boots and shins from bleeding. Also nice to kneel down in the dirt when weeding. All around more professional looking. For hardscaping landscaping i will wear shorts but not often.

Dickies pants and dickies shirts, steel toe boots, safety glasses, hats and ear plugs..

work_it
04-21-2006, 01:05 AM
I wear pants year round. I wasn't concerned with the rocks and flying debris hitting my legs, but I got tired of dealing with all the poison ivy/oak. It grows crazy here, and most of the time you don't see those vines when they're small. Then you wipe off all the build up (of what you thought was only grass) on your legs and don't realize it's now on your hands, the door handle, steering wheel, trimmers, blowers, mowers, etc... Now you're in trouble. It's just a matter of time before you rub your eyes, scratch your head, or worse yet, go to the bathroom. I think I'll stick with wearing pants.

zim bob the landscaper
04-23-2006, 02:25 PM
i did wear shorts but when the rocks hit me i started to bleed on my legs i didnt care but then i mowed al day once and i was wicked bloody and i wore shorts ver sence.

jmurphy
04-23-2006, 05:22 PM
I wear Dickies work pants when im mowing or planting and if im working the nursery then ill wear Dickies work shorts. I also wear steel toe loggers.

Sean Adams
04-23-2006, 05:29 PM
I always gave my guys the option. Personally, I wear shorts practically year round. If the snow creeps up past my sock line then maybe I will dig a pair of pants out of the closet. Don't get me wrong - I have the war wounds to prove that pants are probably the better choice - just couldn't ever get comfortable wearing pants - mainly because my calves are 22 1/2 inches around - not easy to find pants that fit right.

Lux Lawn
04-23-2006, 07:39 PM
I will wear shorts if its warm enough.

LawnGuy73
05-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Pants for me.

topsites
05-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Ever since I found these in my first year, I have worn exclusively the Wild Ass Original Work Pants.

The name may imply some sort of a joke, but these pants are the most serious thing I have ever worn.

These pants are tough, a few do tear over the years and they also fade but I have at least one set that's gone 4 years without falling apart, that has got to be a record.

We're not talking regular tough jeans, we're talking logger pants, jeans worn by guys cutting down BIG WOOD !
And what's good enough for them is good enough for me.

That, and the Wild Ass logo stamped on the back sure gets a few wild comments as well.

For 26 dollars, Wild Ass pants rule!
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/150

Oxmow
05-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Pants. To me they just look more professional. I get mine from Wal-mart. Usually about 16-19 dollars. Cargos made of light material. Mine have lasted several years too. Steel toes as well. Don't need tha toes getting crunched.

P & L Turf
05-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Depends on the time of year, but most of the time I wear shorts.

Precision
05-29-2006, 09:11 AM
getting hit by rocks, having more area exposed to poison ivy, having an extra pound of crap stuck to my legs after line trimming, and many other reasons I always wear pants and require it of all my employees.

And if you wear loose fitting pants (at the leg not the waist) it isn't that much hotter than shorts.

Ron's Lawncare
05-29-2006, 10:10 AM
i wear shorts, trimming dosen't bother me....my helper does it all....:laugh:

DynaMow
06-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Pants. Protection from debris and more professional. Dickie's are great. Not to hot, not to thin.
you got it. Plus my ugly ass legs should be hidden.

brian mon
06-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Pant's all the time...

Trying to trim with shorts on...is like frying bacon with no shirt on!!

SDNCLAWNCARE
06-14-2006, 12:35 AM
To me pants seem more professional. I want me and my guys in proper gear. That includes Pants, T-Shirts Tucked in, Steel toe Boots, Hearing protection, eye protection, gloves. Looks clean and professional.

mownlow79
07-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Pants for me

29 Palms Property Management
07-14-2006, 12:13 PM
I can't wear pants. Too hot! I've tried to many times, I just can't get used to it in this heat. Shorts for me!

cypresstree lawn & landscaping
07-18-2006, 10:15 PM
shortys for me

zero_turn_freak
07-21-2006, 08:38 PM
My friends and family actually get mad at me because im so stubborn on wearing pants...i own tons of pants and like 2 pairs of shorts....and due too the fact that i have weed wacked my legs 4 times so im a pants/boots kinda guy.

S man
07-22-2006, 02:36 AM
I never wear shorts becuse when trimming, the grass gets all over my legs and I can't stand it!

jojoleafsfan
07-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Any temp. above 50 then im wearing shorts.:canadaflag:

martinfan06
08-11-2006, 04:33 PM
This Is A Test

rfed32
08-12-2006, 12:34 AM
mostly pants but i have been wear shorts but my legs are all beat up from weedeatin....i have cuts all over them lol

lawnpro724
08-17-2006, 04:33 PM
yes pants alway's, it prevents those nasty scrapes and scratches when trimming shrubs or using string trimmer. And most of all its more professional when wearing company shirt. I have tank tops for company shirts w/logo on front and back to help guys stay cooler.

Waterscapes By Design
08-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Man I've lived around the Gulf Coast my entire life, from Corpus Christi, Tx- all the way to Tampa, Fl. And I have never been able to acclimate to the humidity and heat. I sweat if I even think about going outside. I cant wear pants May-October usually, my old partner would never wear shorts, I think he had a phobia though....lol

Yes my shins do get ate up after a day behind a trimmer....

Phil's Lawn Care
08-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Dickies, Cat. steel toe work boots, t shirt, hat, and sunglasses, (once in a while I wear socks and underwear) yeah right!! :)

RedWolf
08-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Theres nothing like getting ready to do the nasty when your old lady looks down and screams because your legs look like they have been run threw barbwire and a compost pile.The cure JEANS. My buddy`s old lady came up with this. I couldnt stop laughing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

joubenlawnservices
09-29-2006, 02:20 AM
My first lawn care (i.e. professional weed eater) job was in Pensacola, FL, also known as fire ant heaven. I wore shorts all the time and almost became immune to their bites. Also, took an extra ten minutes in the shower every night getting the grass out of my hairy legs.
I now wear pants and long sleeve shirts year round. After pouring concrete in the Florida heat having this uniform in TN is no problem. It also greatly reduces those trimmer pains that make you want to spew profanity.
Call me crazy but people don't have to ask if I'm serious about doing a professional job.

RedMax Man
09-29-2006, 07:44 PM
I wear Alhgenny Trail pants (similar to Carhartts) all the time when i'm out Landscaping. If its really hot out and i'm only going to be running the mower then i sometimes wear corgo shorts. For extra protection i wear Timberland Pro steel toed boots, Carhartt pigskin leather gloves, safety glasses, ear protection and a baseball style cap.

N&CLandscaping
09-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Always Pants

QualityLawnCare4u
09-30-2006, 12:44 AM
I wear jeans only. Dont like getting my legs sand blastes with the weedwhacker.

GearHead_1
10-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Long pants for this kid.

BMFL79
10-03-2006, 11:14 PM
At 6' and 300 pounds, shorts. I sweat way too much for pants. Strange thing, though. I always wear two t-shirts, or a t-shirt and polo. I like a heavy t-shirt, and most of the ones I can get are too thin. Plus, the inner shirt catches some of the sweat so I don't look too sloppy. Can't help the sweat.

Waterscapes By Design
10-04-2006, 02:22 AM
Im here in central Florida and it is hot and muggy, plus, Im just a guy who sweats.....Doesnt matter what the temp is, if I am outside for a few minutes I start to sweat.

I have always worn shorts, and just last month I put a new blade on the stick edger and tore my shins up bad that day between the sand and painting my leg with dirt.

So a couple weeks ago I put another new blade on the ol' edger and had the foresight to put some pants on that morning....I still was sweatin, but damn when I came home that day and took off my clothes I was clean underneath, it was neat, I didnt have to stand in the shower and clean any cuts or pull the hair out of my legs with the dried mud and grass stuck in it....I think I have become a convert to pants........:dizzy:

Branchland
10-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Shorts here

timturf
10-20-2006, 08:37 PM
How about it, I wear a swimming suit! I sweat so bad, I soak my shorts, underwear, and everything in the wallet! And the legs arn't pretty!

colestat
10-26-2006, 10:06 AM
My husband wears shorts all summer - I always wear pants when I help him.

beaubasinlawn
04-18-2007, 03:00 PM
i wear long pants made by magellan their actually made for pro fisherman they are light weight so you dont get as hot but still protect your legs

GLLawns
04-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I used to only wear shorts, until something hit me on both legs leaving small cuts while strimming. The worst part was fighting some type of skin infection on both legs for 6 weeks. Took a major dose of steroids and a large amount of antibiotics to get rid of. I'd rather sweat then go thru that again.

beaubasinlawn
04-23-2007, 07:53 PM
those pants by magellan also convert to shorts so if you know that you are not going to use a weedeater anymore you can unzip the pants and make them into shorts

Dave_005
04-27-2007, 11:44 PM
i Always wear pants when mowing, tried shorts once and not a good idea when using the trimmer

Frankieg
05-12-2007, 08:46 PM
I always wear pants, (woodland BDU army pants), and CAT boots whenever I mow my lawn, or am mowing someone elses. The camo pants are comfortable, if they get grass stains, no biggie as it blends in, and most importantly, they are cheap at any army surplus . I used to wear shorts, but learned my lesson the hard way.... Ever since a friend recommended army pants, that's what it has been ever since. Can't go wrong with them...

Midwest Lawn Services
05-12-2007, 08:53 PM

I'm with Lawn Masters!

ein999
10-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I might of already posted this before. I wear shorts as long as i can. I also love mowing with no shirt. Its one of the main reasons for being in this business for me personally. It gives me a feeling of realxness i can not get sitting inside with a suit and tie all bundled up inside somewhere. Try it you will love it.

Wittapp
10-21-2008, 11:32 AM
First, No one wants to see my legs. But the reality is that an experience I had back in the 80's keeps me wearing pants. I was mowing an apartment complex in a not so nice part of time. I ended up with a hypodermic needle stuck in my leg. That was at the height of the aides scare. I worn pants ever since.

KrayzKajun
10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
I always wear pants!

karlgrooms
10-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Started years ago wearing shorts, but after years of bloody spots, grass,dirt,and bug splatter covering my shins. I switched to cheap thin cargo pants. My shower time is greatly reduced and my boss lady appreciates the lack of grass clippings throughout the house..

I couldn't imagine going back to shorts. Pants are not as hot as I thought they would be, and a whole lot easier dust off between jobs.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I always wear shorts in the summer. Unless I'm doing landscaping, then its jeans. And more towards winter when it cools down I wear jeans mowing.

dura to the max
10-28-2008, 03:57 PM
i wear both, depends on the scope of work for the day

STIHL GUY
11-16-2008, 12:27 AM
i dont mow without my jeans. they keep my legs from getting cut up and dirty/poisin ivy