PDA

View Full Version : Taking business serious.

drsogr
04-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I am at the point where my landscaping business needs at least one employee. I have been using friends and family to the point where they wonder when I am going to hire someone. The problem is, when I hire an employee I will have to be much more serious with my business. Currently I take off when I want, work when I want and really follow no real schedule. I think hiring an employee might make it to where I have to follow a schedule.

Did anyone else have this issue before they hired an employee. Did it make your life easier to have a set schedule or do you miss the freedom to take off and do what ever you want, whenever you want.

sheshovel
04-07-2006, 06:18 PM
You will only have to follow a schedule tell your employees trained..then he or she will have to follow one not you.

RLSLandscaping
04-07-2006, 06:30 PM
I have always had my cousin with no real schedule..but this year I realized I need to get serious..my cousin was a slug so I let him go and hired this 19yr old kid who is strong as a horse and wants to really work..schedule yes, but only because I am extra motivated this year...thing is..he calls me around 7:30 every night to find out where to meet up, and sometimes I say "NO WORK" I gotta do estimates or whatever...thing is you gotta hire a kid who wants to work and is home still so he has no real bills, so when he gets a few days off it's no big deal...and u can pay him 10-12hr cashola...if he works well he could do some accts while yer gone maybe? ya never know the kid could grow with ya and be a great supervisor for ya some day...anyways good luck man you sound a lot like me lol working when ya want..laid back...I gotta get my butt in gear this year and start to husstle though! GL

drsogr
04-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Over 1100 posts in less than 2 years? I think you need to get the hell off of this site and go to work. You may find out you don't really need any help with you business.

LOL...that is so true. If you look at my posts...I really have slowed down quite a bit lately....unless its raining.

drsogr
04-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey littleriver..I have over 3000 posts and I run a full time business..got a problem with that?
You will only have to follow a schedule tell your employees trained..then he or she will have to follow one not you.

Yeah I guess thats true.

drsogr
04-07-2006, 09:44 PM
I have always had my cousin with no real schedule..but this year I realized I need to get serious..my cousin was a slug so I let him go and hired this 19yr old kid who is strong as a horse and wants to really work..schedule yes, but only because I am extra motivated this year...thing is..he calls me around 7:30 every night to find out where to meet up, and sometimes I say "NO WORK" I gotta do estimates or whatever...thing is you gotta hire a kid who wants to work and is home still so he has no real bills, so when he gets a few days off it's no big deal...and u can pay him 10-12hr cashola...if he works well he could do some accts while yer gone maybe? ya never know the kid could grow with ya and be a great supervisor for ya some day...anyways good luck man you sound a lot like me lol working when ya want..laid back...I gotta get my butt in gear this year and start to husstle though! GL

I am a little too laid back...maybe a having someone on payroll would give me a little extra motivation! Monday and tuesday I worked 15 hours each day. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday I found excuses to slow down and put in about 6 hours each day.

StBalor
04-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I am at the point where my landscaping business needs at least one employee. I have been using friends and family to the point where they wonder when I am going to hire someone. The problem is, when I hire an employee I will have to be much more serious with my business. Currently I take off when I want, work when I want and really follow no real schedule. I think hiring an employee might make it to where I have to follow a schedule.

Did anyone else have this issue before they hired an employee. Did it make your life easier to have a set schedule or do you miss the freedom to take off and do what ever you want, whenever you want.

I am the same way. I went through all my family members and friends. Usually about 4 per year. I guess i work them to hard. This year i went ahead hired an employee, and a payroll accountant. Days when i don't have much to do, i plan on having him work in my yard while i run errands or sit in the house reading all these posts.

wacamaster
04-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Having a worker defenitly keeps you going. I remember the good ole days when I'd sleep in and so forth because my workers were loose. My policy is if I say we meet at 8:00.. they start gettin paid at 8:00.. even if I don't show till 8:30. However if they are late say and hour.. they get docked an hour on top of that because I have other guys I have to pay while we wait. The fact that i know they'll be gettin paid even if im not there makes me make sure im there on time.

Also about those kids that "want to work". I've had a lotta of em.. and after you put in 3 12 hour days in a row.. they all of a sudden aren't so passionate about working.

cwlawley
04-10-2006, 11:54 PM
5 keep telling myself that I have to get serious, I have two part time people now. I just have too much trouble waking up...maybe one day I'll get up.

BCF
04-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Having a helper definately motivates you to start at a certain time all the time. The key is finding a helper good enough to be on time and work how you want them to work, and not want gold. Three years ago I thought "that shouldn't be too hard". Here I am today working by myself. Good luck.

mrusk
04-12-2006, 07:40 AM
I am in my 2nd year of business and solo still. I love it. I do whatever i want. I come home for lunch and take a nap sometimes!

Some days i start at 6am and work till 3pm. Or start a 10am and work till 8pm!

Frankly i work extremely hard and get alot done by myself. Next year i will have to hire one or two guys. But first i am trying to get a system down to keep myself more organized first.

Matt

Az Gardener
04-12-2006, 09:32 AM
For those of you who work those 10-12- or longer days I just have one question, why? If you are operating legally that overtime is killing you or at the very least you are leaving lots of money on the table. A well run business that will keep happy employees for more than a few weeks will schedule 6-7 hours of production a day and allow for travel time and get everyone off in 8-9 hours tops. If you are working more than that you need to hire more people. Everyone should to have a balance between work and life, if not for a good life for a successful business.

Mower For Less
04-12-2006, 10:29 AM
I used to be a hard worker that took all the hours I could get. When I was 18 I had a job as a truck driver for a mold shop. 12 hour days were the minimum, I would sometimes work up to 18 hours a day, and sleep in my car in the parking lot. I didnt even go home at night. They had a pay structure of time and a half after after 8 hours in one day, and double time after 10 hours in one day regardless of weekly totals. We worked 6-7 days a week. I only made $8 an hour, but I would gross about $700 a week. After a year, they went out of business (more money going out that comming in, lol). That was awesome money for an 18 year old (11 years ago no less). So my next job I got, they happened to be going through a slow spot, so we only worked an 8 hour day. I remember feeling like I was going home at lunch time. It didnt even feel like a full day.

Now, I try not to work more than 12 hours a day. No more than 8 if I can help it, but if I got a few estimates to do, or other office work that all gets done after my 8 hours in the field. Employee's hours are 40 or less per week.

Kevin

olderthandirt
04-12-2006, 10:47 AM
What kind of business are you running that allows you to sleep till you feel like it and work till your tired? What about schelduling and showing up at the same time each wk? According to what I read thats what sets your business apart from all the others or is it just price!
A stuctured business should have enough work for 1 man for 40 regular hrs, if you don't have that then your not putting enough effort into your "business" to ever become successful enough to keep employees working full time. Good luck finding a part time guy that can work when you feel like its time that you need his services.

lawngrl
04-12-2006, 11:20 AM
New to this site, so bear w/ me....I've got 4 employees, and I'm starting to have some "attitude problems w/ one of them. I'm thinking it's time to come up w/ an actual written job description so that we can either fix the attitude problem, or cover my a** if I need to get rid of the employee. Any suggestions on job descriptions??

mrusk
04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
What kind of business are you running that allows you to sleep till you feel like it and work till your tired? What about schelduling and showing up at the same time each wk? According to what I read thats what sets your business apart from all the others or is it just price!
A stuctured business should have enough work for 1 man for 40 regular hrs, if you don't have that then your not putting enough effort into your "business" to ever become successful enough to keep employees working full time. Good luck finding a part time guy that can work when you feel like its time that you need his services.

I work solo and 90% of my work is installs, so i can do whatever i want. I think the last couple weeks i been doing around 48-50hrs in the field a week. This is only my 3rd full week back working, so i am still adjusting. Once it starts getting darker later i will be able to work longer in the field since i will be able to book my estimates later in the evening.

Matt

Az Gardener
04-19-2006, 02:40 AM
New to this site, so bear w/ me....I've got 4 employees, and I'm starting to have some "attitude problems w/ one of them. I'm thinking it's time to come up w/ an actual written job description so that we can either fix the attitude problem, or cover my a** if I need to get rid of the employee. Any suggestions on job descriptions??

Job descriptions will go a long way towards impressing on your employees this is a real company not just a paying hobby until something better comes along. It will also set clear guidelines.

I would suggest following up with a employee contracts that contains the job description and who the employee reports to and who reports to the employee if they are in a position of authority. This is an all or none proposition, you can't have job descriptions for one position and not others.

These are things usually reserved for bigger companies, mostly because they take a lot of time and effort to put together, but they are a great value to the business. They also look good when you are trying to get a loan or sell the business.

This is a copy of my position contract for my gardeners, you will see rather that outlining each and every task it is more goal oriented. So they must be responsible for producing a result rather than performing a task.

lawngrl
04-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Gardener- Thanks for the example of your job description. I'll definitely use it as a reference. Thanks again!

topsites
04-22-2006, 12:26 AM
5 keep telling myself that I have to get serious, I have two part time people now. I just have too much trouble waking up...maybe one day I'll get up.

Maybe you need to raise your prices, I find anytime I can't get my bones out of bed, it's almost always a money thing fixes or messes it up.

If I charge enough, I can get up and running without alarm clock while running a fever at 6am when I was up until 3am the night before.

If I don't charge enough, I can't get out of bed, plain and simple.

drsogr
04-24-2006, 01:18 PM
LOL..thats pretty true!

HOOLIE
04-24-2006, 07:38 PM
I actually enjoy the less freedom thing a lot more than I thought I would. I was slacking last year, starting later and later, wasn't organized enough, etc. etc. Having a steady employee, I get up early, fill up the gas cans on the way in, don't drive out of my way for lunch...

PDuffy
04-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Man do I know how you feel! Finding the right employee makes life so much
easier. The trouble i have is being able to keep it going year round. (feast or famin) It definately put me to a set schedule....As the business grows, so much for my golf game!

PDuffy
04-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Bullseye!!!!!!!!!

drsogr
06-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Well to let you guys know what is going on. I had hired an employee and it did help me at least work a set schedule. The problem is though as soon as I hired him, I got swamped with work. So I am still working odd hours.

His back went out yesterday. I hired someone else the same day, and I hired a second person today. Now the training process begins with 2 people! Hopefully I can get back on schedule.