PDA

View Full Version : Exposed root systems, no grass will grow

THKitty1
04-08-2006, 12:37 AM
We have a customer who requested a soil test because they cannot get any grass to grow in their back yard. Yard is full of trees, (Not a tree person, don't ask me what kind) and the root systems are majorly exposed and branching all throughout the yard. Yard almost never gets sun.(because of the trees) I'm reluctant to take their money for the soil test because I feel the test won't help them. I think maybe sending them to a certified arborist is a way to go? If so, any recommedations? I'm in Oakland County, MI
The damn trees should never have been planted the way they were to begin with.
HELP!

Imulchmore
04-10-2006, 03:36 PM
trees and grass competing for the water ...the tree will always win...larger roots

MarcSmith
04-10-2006, 03:43 PM
tree and grass competeing for sun...it sucks to be short...

my back yard has some maples and thin grass, I was able to lift and thin out the trees some some and the grass bot better, but cutting around the roots was a major pita so I now have a "naturalized" woodland in my back yard...once a month with roundup to take care of any weeds and I'm good...

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
04-18-2006, 01:20 AM
We have a customer who requested a soil test because they cannot get any grass to grow in their back yard. Yard is full of trees, (Not a tree person, don't ask me what kind) and the root systems are majorly exposed and branching all throughout the yard. Yard almost never gets sun.(because of the trees) I'm reluctant to take their money for the soil test because I feel the test won't help them. I think maybe sending them to a certified arborist is a way to go? If so, any recommedations? I'm in Oakland County, MI
The damn trees should never have been planted the way they were to begin with.
HELP!

if you need the assistance of an arborist then call Rick @ Mountian Top Tree Service in Northville, MI

hes one of the best around...we sub all of our tree spraying to him

Dirty Water
06-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Many everygreen tree's also make the soil more acidic and prevent grass growth....or so I've heard.

Branchland
06-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Many everygreen tree's also make the soil more acidic and prevent grass growth....or so I've heard.

That's what I've always heard too. Especially pines. What I did in my back yard under some pines is raised the lower limbs to about 8-10 feet from the ground, to let the light in. And lime it real heavy. I've got grass and it's stayed for about 3 years now.

zim bob the landscaper
06-29-2006, 11:31 AM
try topdressing with 4" of loam and seeding with tall fescue