PDA

View Full Version : weeds, moss, and little grass growing

imjustdave
04-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Looking to see what others do when you have a yard that is full of weeds, moss, dead areas, and very little grass growing. Do you just use fertalizer, weed be gone, thatch, airate etc. Customer tells me that a few years ago they got 4-6 inches of topsoil and used grass sead and now they got crap for a yard. Its a big area 1/4 acre in size. and of course the owner doesn't want to spend much.

imjustdave
04-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Another Photo

dcgreenspro
04-08-2006, 01:23 AM
tell them that you are not jesus and can not work miracles. that all needs to be redone so give them some prices now for fall renovation so they can save up. in the mean time you can pic up an easy check for mowing for the rest of the year. good luck

imjustdave
04-08-2006, 01:36 AM
thats what I was thinking just needed some one else to chim in, there are parts that are ok, and not all that bad. assuming the topsoil was good, is this just a bad start with grass seed or is this just a helpless issue that needs to be scraped off, new topsoil and then hydro seed or sod installed? I have thought about telling him we could rototill it all under and start over but honestly Im not sure if that would work, or even be cheaper then just scraping it all off and starting over.

Coffeecraver
04-08-2006, 04:38 AM
The yard is below grade,the drainage needs to be dealt with before doing
anymore with the yard.

The moss is comming from too much moisture.
The yard cannot be built up too much or it will be higher than the house.

Therefore digging a series of french drains from the down spouts ,connecting to one main drain may be your best solution.

Once you have that done then cover the stone with fabric then add the topsoil and re-seed in the fall.

:)