PDA

View Full Version : Competing with big box stores

allinearth
04-09-2006, 12:20 AM
For those of you in the retail nursery business. How do you compete with stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, etc? Do you compete on price or just mark prices higher and give better service?

Brianslawn
04-09-2006, 01:29 AM
buy the plants down in LR dirt cheap and sell them at same price plus give better service and larger selection. i wouldnt recomend having nursury as only source of income, but an intregal part of the larger picture. im sure you know all this, though.

just sayin HI.

Mike Fronczak
04-11-2006, 12:30 PM
What is "down in LR"?

Brianslawn
04-12-2006, 02:00 AM
What is "down in LR"?

little rock. real cheap wholesaler there. $5 plants that retail for $20 here.

BladeRunner1967
04-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Service them to death. Go to the big box and watch what not to do. My store has 35 employees dedicated to the garden area and I can never find one! :dizzy:

allinearth
04-12-2006, 08:33 AM
My strategy now is to price a little higher, and give excellent service and quality plants. But.......When I closed the other day and drove by one of the big boxes their nursery end was very busy. Got me thinking maybe I should match their prices and declare war. On the other hand I hate to stoop to their level. They also have several advantages that would make a good dicussion by itself. Wish my vendors would cater to me like theirs do. I heard they don't even pay for inventory until it sells, if it sells.;)