PDA

View Full Version : 9500 sq ft of mulch?

CutNLawns
04-09-2006, 09:18 AM
I have only done the smaller 1-10 yard mulch jobs and was wondering where you guys would be on a job of this size. I am bidding on mulching the parking lot islands for a large discount store. They have 8 years of added mulch so they want the old mulch removed and new mulch 4"-6" installed. The details are: the old mulch can be removed with a Bobcat ($200 hook up fee, $100 first hr. and $65/hr after that) and cleaned up by hand then loaded at each island into a dump (couple hundered $$$ for the dump) and then the old material can be dumped behind the store on thier property. New mulch will be delivered in bulk and portions dumped by each island then filled with the Bobcat. I will have a few guys ($10/hr each) spreading and finishing the mulch. Each time I end up figuring something up i have the feeling I adding something wrong. You guys have a ballpark on where you would be basically on the mulch and the time. thanks.

Grn Mtn
04-09-2006, 09:59 AM
I would do it this way. Have a 70 yard load of mulch drop shipped (they will only dump it in one location) costs about $980. BTW 4"-6" is way too much mulch, keep it at 3".

I would have 2-3, 15-20yd dumpsters dropped off around the parking lot. $200-$600

I would have a loader with a 6-10yd bucket delivered, or 2 smaller loaders with 3-6 yard buckets. $500-$1000

6 workers, 10 hours of work, $600

Use the loaders as fast moving/large capacity material handlers. The less trips the better. Load the dumpsters with the mulch and have it hauled away (nobody really wants a pile of old mulch kicking around where some kids could light it on fire for fun) Then use the loaders to carry the mulch to the piles, hold it in the bucket, and scrape off into the beds. Depending on the size of the beds, you should be able to do multiple beds with one bucket load.

As a backup plan, have a second crew ready to come in if it starts taking too long, and finish up in the night. But you'll find that this (short of having a vacuum truck and mulch blower) this is the fastest/cheapest way to do PARKING LOTS.

Precision
04-09-2006, 09:00 PM
9500 square feet at 2 inches is 90-100 yards of mulch give or take.

I would sub that out to a blower truck company.

my price for my crew doing mulch in the 1-20 yard range is about $60 per yard installed with $24 -32 of that being the cost of the mulch.

the blower truck is $32 per yard installed.

so 95 x $32 =3040 plus $35 stop fee. so my cost is $3075

Charge $40 per yard and make $725 for a phone call.

as far as removing the mulch. I have never removed mulch to replace with new mulch. Seems counter productive. You want the mulch to rot in place. good fert. Now putting it down 4-6 inches thick may be the problem. We put down 2-3 inches down over bare dirt then re-apply every 6-9 months at 1-2 inches. The goal being to keep the mulch fresh looking and to keep about a 2 inch bed in place.

anything over 3 inches affects the grounds ability to breath.

For removal. I would get my best time estimate then charge 20% over my cost on dumpsters and bobcat time.

I would sub that out too. My bobcat guy charges $2000 per day including his dump truck for the onsite disposal. I would guess it would take him a full day, so pass along the fee plus $20% So $2400. But I would get a firm bid /contract from him first.

I would make 2 phone calls and one site inspection with the bobcat guy before and one at completion with the blower truck. For my time, I would net $1125 and not break a sweat unless my truck a/c died.

I would have the bobcat work done one day prior to the blower truck arrival and voila completed task.

That is how I would do it.