PDA

View Full Version : 25000 s/ft yard $$$$????

cp
05-08-2001, 12:17 AM
Here it is I've got this job that the people want their yard to look good again. This property is about 30 years old, app. 25,318 square feet of turf area with mostly shaded areas. There are two large sand pit areas that need removing, and about 2400 s/ft of ornamental bed areas to repare.

I have not done a soil sample yet but there is a lot of moss growing and most of the turf area has no root system, when you slide your foot you remove everthing to bare dirt.

I need help determining a plan of attack for this yard and it is the biggest job I have come across so far..

Any comments gladly welcomed....

Lanelle
05-08-2001, 12:45 AM
It sounds like you are dealing with clay soils, low pH and shade. Can't advise you about the shade except to try to get more sunlight in if you can. The soil should be tested. I will hazard a guess that incorporating lime and organic material will help this site. Be sure to core aereate or till the top several inches to allow more oxygen into the heavy soil. You may even be able to use some of the sand in the mix as long as you use plenty of organic material with it.

lawnboy82
05-09-2001, 12:37 AM
grubs. if you can slide your foot across an area and take up all the turf to the bare ground you have grubs. they are a root pruning insect. pull up the turf and start lookin for them. you gotta get a couple of them and look at the rastral pattern on their heads. if it is a V then you have jap beetle grubs. those you can treat with merit, dursban, diazinon, etc. if they dont have the V rastral pattern then you have another form of grub. in that case you have to use an alternative pesticide. if the customer does not want to use pesticides then you have to keep your moisture levels up to mask the damage that they do.

good luck-

morturf
05-10-2001, 09:29 PM
I really doubt you have a grub problem in an area that is that shady. You are suffering from lack of sunlight. Most people don't understand that a plant gets just as much from what is above the ground as it does from what is below it. One thing I do in Very shady areas is to not mow every week, every other or every third week. Let the plant gather some light with a longer leaf and pull in some oxygen. In out part of the country when there is moss it is a sign of lack of adequate sun and air circulation.