PDA

View Full Version : Towing/Backing Up an Enclosed with Dump Truck

RedWingsDet
04-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I just bought a f350 v10 with the dump bed, im concerned about pulling and backing up my enclosed trailer, but mainly backing up. Is it a pain with the bigger trucks to back up the trailers?

Thanks

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-09-2006, 06:11 PM
If you can use your mirrors and maintain a point of reference on either side of the trailer backing should not be a big deal after getting use to the way the new vehicle affects the way trailer behaves.....

D

Dirty Water
04-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Get good mirrors.

Tvov
04-09-2006, 07:36 PM
For practice in using your side mirrors, either remove the rearview mirror on the windshield or twist it up so it won't work. And DON'T look over your shoulders! (actually, in CT during the CDL license test, if the instructor is having a bad day he can fail you if you look over your shoulder while backing...)

When you learn to use your side mirrors ALL the time, and learn what they are telling you, backing a trailer is infinitely easier.

proenterprises
04-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey, got any pics up yet?

RedWingsDet
04-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Ive backed my 20ft trailer up at 10pm before no problem, I rarely look over my shoulder, I was just concerend with the dump because for one, the rearview mirror isnt functionial and two its so damn wide it'd be easy to jacknife.

no pic's yet, I should have the truck tomorrow or tues.

FearThisDeere
04-09-2006, 07:52 PM
It shouldn't be too bad. You can;t see with an enclosed anyway, so the visibilty is not an issue. I always thought that the longer the setup was, the less reactive it was. So, with a long trailer and a big dump truck, I would say that it would be hard to jack-knife IMO. Just be careful of those four corners and you'll be all set! Enjoy the new truck (eventhough it is a Ford!).

PROCUT1
04-09-2006, 08:08 PM
i find the longer the trailer and the bigger the truck, the easier it is to back up.

I can back up a dump truck with a 22ft enclosed without even thinking about it.

However, put me on a lawn tractor with those little tow behind carts and Im up the creek....HA

Itsgottobegreen
04-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Don't ask me why I know. :cry: But dump trucks eat enclosed trailers. Just remember the dump be sticks out farther than the back of your pickup. Plus is wider. So you have less clearance. When backing up tight, your risk crushing the corners of your trailer. Plus the large dump bed doesn't help your visibility.

Jpocket
04-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Once you get used to not having a rear view mirrors it will be cake. I don't use my rea view mirrow in the p/u b/c im so used to pulling the trialer with the dump.

gammon landscaping
04-10-2006, 02:55 AM
just back up like my grandfather did.......go till you feel somthing then pull up 2 feet and park hehe

Scag48
04-10-2006, 03:04 AM
You should be fine, a good set of mirrors should do the trick. I rarely look over the shoulder/rearview, gotten so used to using the mirrors it's second nature anymore.

TerraVenture
04-10-2006, 07:32 AM
I have been backing up trailers with trucks since I was able to drive. My father taught me at an early age to back up a trailer. I actually have difficulty if I try backing up without my side view mirrors. The two things to remeber with an enclosed trailer and a dump is always check what is behind and above the trailer before going in reverse. If you haven't ordered your trailer yet get a five foot tongue, standard is four foot by most manufacturers. If you don't you will be able to crash the corner of your truck into the corner of the trailer and you won't be able to turn as sharp.

Tvov
04-10-2006, 08:56 AM
You can also get the simple slide in hitch extensions. The one we have extends the hitch another 12" or so. The extensions reduce your tongue weight, so keep that in mind.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2004382/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2004382/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=hitch+extension

FearThisDeere
04-10-2006, 11:17 AM
I have found that the best way to learn how to back up a trailer is with one of those lawnmower carts. There is nothing harder than that. Once you have mastered it, you are set for anything else!

Gravel Rat
04-10-2006, 02:30 PM
All I can say is practice with your mirrors atleast you can see the trailer. You want to test your skills try driving a tree chip truck with a chipper in tow and you can't see it.

One thing to keep in mind G.O.A.L Get Out And Look it prevents any surprises and the "Oh shiat" to a minimum :laugh:

jacob land and
04-10-2006, 03:50 PM
all it takes is practice

RedWingsDet
04-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Guys, Thanks for your response, but so you know I am pretty good at backing it up with a SRW (been doing it since I had my license), but Ive never had a DRW so thats what I was concerned with. Thanks guys, guess I just gotta be a little more careful so I dont jack knife.