PDA

View Full Version : Filters?

Dirt Boy
04-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Do any of you pro's use a mainline water filter? Like placing it in-line before or after PVB valve?

Reason for asking is: city water, yet city flushes lines couple of times a year and consequently, home owner's water may run discolored for a day.

Is it cheap insurance to have one on for this type of situation or can you just plan on any particles not being large enough to cause any problem?

Thank

Wet_Boots
04-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Most city water is so clean it wouldn't trouble sprinkler heads, hydrant flushing or no. I have seen a few extra-fine metal strainers under specific Toro nozzles collect enough particles to mess up the coverage, so it's obvious the water isn't perfect. But it wouldn't be cost effective to use a strainer on every city-water system.

On well water, however, there is a real point in using a strainer in the supply line, upstream of any other components.

PurpHaze
04-12-2006, 09:39 AM
As Boots has already stated it's probably not warranted for most domestic water applications unless there is a specific problem. We had one area of the city where the domestic water service was "dead-headed" in an older part of the city. Those drawing water towards the end of this line experienced a lot of sand and other debris in their water. We had one site where we were constantly having to change out a few sprinklers due to clogging. However, a few years ago the water service eliminated this by connecting this spur to another run thereby completing the loop in this area and the sand has pretty much disappeared.

HooKooDooKu
04-12-2006, 11:39 AM
I installed a Rainbird inline WYE filter upstream of the backflow even though I'm on city water. I did it primarily because half my irrigation is for drip irrigation and I didn't want to insert seperate filters for each drip irritation circuit.

I've only got about 1/2 the irrigation system completely installed and only used it for about 1/3 of the season last year, but I feel like the filter has already paid for itself.

As a part of winter shutdown last year, I cleaned the filter and found what I can only think to describe as a splinter of wood about 1/2" long and about 1/2 the diameter of a tooth pic. If the WYE filter had not filtered this piece of wood out of the water, I'm sure either one of the valves or drip irrigation emmitters would have "filtered it out" for me.

One trouble spot avoided.

koster_irrigation
04-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I put a VU-FLO filter on every WELL i run a system on. 100mesh

Had my share of clogged nozzles with sand.