PDA

View Full Version : One or Two trucks?

emil35
04-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Ok here's the deal.

I'm currently 17 and will be going to college next year. I'm downsizing my business to concentrate on college, but at the same time, have a way to pay for college that will actually earn me some cash. I currently have 4 trucks, but 2 if not all 4 will be sold soon. Here's the question. I'll be mostly working afternoons and weekends. I currently have a S-10 and 3500HD that I may keep, but the two trucks are 98s and aren't the best on fuel (s10 is okay/pretty good, but cant tow much) Should I keep the two trucks and pay insurance for both, or go out and get a DURAMAX diesel as my truck and pick up an older BMW that a family member will pretty much give to me as a personal car if I don't need/want to drive my duramax? What would u do?? Thanks in advance!

ALarsh
04-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Sell the S-10 and pick up a cheap civic that gets 35 mpg. Keep the 3500HD if it is in good condition and isn't costing a fortune in repairs.

BSDeality
04-09-2006, 11:35 PM
i bought a 94 toyota pickup and it *lowered* my insurance because I'm putting less miles on my 05 F350. Keep the s10 for commuting/estimates/light work and keep the 3500 for the HD work.

emil35
04-09-2006, 11:52 PM
So no go with a DURAMAX Diesel? I thought they got good mileage...what would be a neg. side to one of them? And that BMW averages 30mpg. But keep the input coming. Thanks again for the advice! :)

CutRight
04-10-2006, 01:17 AM
if the two vehicles you already have are paid for, then it will be most likely cheaper to keep those then to buy a new duramax. although if it was me, id be driving to college in a duramax. but for some reason im driving the gas to college.

murray83
04-10-2006, 08:15 AM
i dunno about you but here i'm paying hard for diesel,i agree with everyone else....you already own it,its paid for make money with it if you buy a smaller car you'll have payments even after a trade in.

btw,what are u actually towing with the 1 ton like say number of mowers and weight? u said u have 4 trucks what sizes are these? what size is your trailer? take all that info and you'll have your answer.

ALarsh
04-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Go over to www.dieselplace.com to read about the duramax.

rfed32
04-10-2006, 06:14 PM
i have an s10 and i dont have a problem pulling with it....anyways id keep them both or keep one and get a small car...like a civic or gti or soemthing real small

grassmanak
04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
insurance will suck on a new truck

ToroLandscaper
04-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Ok here's the deal.

I'm currently 17 and will be going to college next year. I'm downsizing my business to concentrate on college, but at the same time, have a way to pay for college that will actually earn me some cash. I currently have 4 trucks, but 2 if not all 4 will be sold soon. Here's the question. I'll be mostly working afternoons and weekends. I currently have a S-10 and 3500HD that I may keep, but the two trucks are 98s and aren't the best on fuel (s10 is okay/pretty good, but cant tow much) Should I keep the two trucks and pay insurance for both, or go out and get a DURAMAX diesel as my truck and pick up an older BMW that a family member will pretty much give to me as a personal car if I don't need/want to drive my duramax? What would u do?? Thanks in advance!

Ok so what are the other 2 trucks besides the S10 and 3500HD....also what year is the BMW?

rfed32
04-10-2006, 10:36 PM
yeah what year and what model bmw???

also if ur downsizing what is the need for the new truck, why not get rid of all four and buy like a 1/2 ton??or new dokota or something that will cost u less, if ur down sizing are u gettin rid of most of ur stuff b.c i dont know what u have but i had no problem pulling 2 ztr's on a 12footer with my s10...so u cld even just keep that...i duno...as much as i wld say go for the durmax im gonna tell u to go smaller save ur money..

also will u be doing plowing with this new truck or whatever u get??

dlandscaping
04-10-2006, 10:44 PM
At 18 right before college i bought a powerstroke. I was blessed by an extremely good winter and paid both of my trucks off last fall. The insurance was something i did not plan on being so high call and get an estimate for a new duramx ballpark insurance quote first. Also if you are going for a duramax just for mileage, between my 04 v8 f350 and the 04 f350 psd the difference is like 3 mpg. Currently here diesel is 20 cents more per gallon. Managing business while in college is much harder than one can imagine especially if you get caught up in the college lifestyle.

emil35
04-11-2006, 12:49 AM
The four trucks I have are as follows:

1999 Chevy Crew Cab Longbed 2WD
1999 GMC 3500 HD w/plow & flatbed
1997 ^^Same
1998 Chevy s-10 ZR2 w/plow 4WD

I priced out insurance for a duramax, and it's really about the same price as if I had two separate trucks to insure...about $2000/year. And yes it would be used to plow.

I need at least a 3/4 ton to haul things like a skid steer & dump trailer. The s-10 is nice but just cant tow enough. However, I know a dealer that will take me to the auto auctions for a couple hundred bucks and get me a pretty much new truck for around $15000-$20000 - pretty good deal!

Thanks for all the advice tho.

Oh yea, the BMW is a 1987 325is coupe...sport model, completly redone. Looks sweet! And that I could insure cheap along w/my parents since it's not commerical

The Yard Barber, Inc.
04-11-2006, 09:30 AM
I mean if you can afford the duramax, then get it and sell everything else and invest in some land. last time i checked, they were not making anymore.

mrusk
04-11-2006, 10:20 AM
I couldn't imagine being in college and trying to run a business. I am 19 an am not in college and i have hard enough time trying to manage my business as it is. I have no free time. I work 7 days a week, either in the field, on estimates, or doing paper work. Myabe your biz is easier with just maintence i don't know. 90% of my business is hardscaping so it takes awhile to do estimates and make material list and things up. its 10.20 in the morning and i should be out working, but i am finshing up a 20k install estimate. I acctually went out at 6am this mornign and did 4 yards of mulch!

Matt

janb
04-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I couldn't imagine being in college and trying to run a business. I am 19 an am not in college ... I acctually went out at 6am this mornign and did 4 yards of mulch!Matt

oh - to be 19 again... I'm 2.5x that, in college and run 3 businesses, (but don't do $20k installs...) Fortunatley, I don't have to 'homeschool' anymore, that took a lot of time - The kids both graduate from college this yr, leaving me in the dust (I have 1 more yr)

re: truck... since you plow and have need for a 3/4 ton. I'd probably keep the 3500HD since it is 'equipped' I think the Duramax would be too much 'capital' to have tied up while your going to school. (quite a bit of downtime; school + homework, remember to budget 2x class time for prep (unless you are going 'vocational' ))

personally... I'd buy an older cummins (89-93) they are cheap and built like tanks, and with a modified tranny will really perform, total capital expense under $10k, + cheap insurance. Then as previously recommended... I would put any extra $$ into revenue generating real estate. (like a commercial building (they are often cheap to buy) with an apartment for you to live in or rent out). RE has a way of working while you are busy elsewhere. I have one commercial building that I put $60k into (down payment) and it brings me $2000/month positive cash flow.

Colorado? I grew up in Masonville and Estes Park, really miss the sun. 281 days of rain/yr here (PNW)

good luck

rfed32
04-11-2006, 08:44 PM
well now that u say ur pulling the skid steer and a dump...get rid of all four and buy the durmax...

emil35
04-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Good points on the real estate tip. I'll have to look into that. I understand how it's not worth throwing alot of money into one truck, which I'm not going to do no matter what, but what if I'm able to pick ine up cheap at auction, the isn't it worth going for? And if I kept the s-10 and insured it as my primarly vechile, the duramax insurance is about $1250/year...i dunno hard choice. but thanks again

RedWingsDet
04-13-2006, 06:41 PM
I was in the same position as you not to long ago. I ended up selling all my trucks, buying a F350 Dump Box and an F250 (only because the 250 was a good deal). Both will be inservice full time this year and for when I go to college I also bought a 2001 Lincoln Continental for a personal car. Because when im at school, I will still have a crew or two out.

If I were you, I'd get a work truck only and a personal car.

Oh and for insurance, Commercial Insurance is the way to go, its alot cheaper, mainly because they dont look at age.

Jpocket
04-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Managing business while in college is much harder than one can imagine especially if you get caught up in the college lifestyle.[/QUOTE]

Damn near impossible if you ask me, I wouldn't attemp it, unless dad was willing to run/ grow it fulltime.:dizzy:

emil35
04-16-2006, 01:54 AM
Thanks for all the replys everyone. I would take off from the business during college, but I need a way to make money to pay for college and this is my way so you do what you gotta do. College will come first however, followed by time for me to relax, then work and play time as I schedule it.