PDA

View Full Version : The telehandler search is on!

thepawnshop
04-10-2006, 01:07 PM
OK guys. You have all been so helpful in the past so I am looking to ya'll again for advice in my telehandler search. Thus far I have talke to two Gehl dealers about an RS5: http://www.gehl.com/const/prodpg_thrs.html and Terex for an TH636: http://www.terex.com/main.php?obj=prod&action=VIEW&id=cc08812a03701ad4ec4a6164de131d13&nav=prod&cid=6d18d9a15fdb6da73f44a893c21c0fb4 and I am open for any and all suggestions about these machines. I want at least 20+ foot of reach and 30+ foot of lift so please let me know your thoughts!

Scag48
04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
You're out of control, Doug. Good luck with the search!

JDSKIDSTEER
04-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Doug, Deere called today to ask me if they could hold one of my stock order CT322's for the fly in. Are you going? If you are drop one of your business cards in the pouch behind the seat.

thepawnshop
04-10-2006, 10:27 PM
I am DEFINATELY going and will be more than happy to drop a card in the machine. Is this something they always do? If so, why? Thanks for reminding me to "reload" my business cards before we leave. Never been to one of these things before so I am very excited, especially to be able to "play" on all of the machines. I am really looking forward to getting into the cab of some of the new "D" series excavators.

Any advice for a first time attendee?

turboawd
04-11-2006, 12:07 AM
ever thought about a JCB?
www.jcb.com

here is a dealer by you:

JW Burress - Roanoke HQ - Compaction Equipment Only1301 Rockland Ave
Roanoke
Virginia
Tel: 336 767 6900
Fax: 336 767 7419

used machines can be found here:
www.machinerytrader.com

i have owned a JCB Loadall for several years now, and have been very happy with it.

here's what they look like:
http://www.machinerytrader.com/images/machinery/fullsize/72866649.jpg
http://www.machinerytrader.com/images/machinery/fullsize/71979184.jpg

2004F550
04-11-2006, 11:48 AM
A friend of mine just got back from Arizona he said it was awesome...weather was great and he got some time on an 800D among other things...he said there were some lines waiting for the machines but the weather was great...

MarcSmith
04-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Ive used the JCB 520 while I was a trugreen, with a bucket it can load into the top of an open top semi rig.

we ended up buying a Bobcat 723 vershandler. it had a 7k lifting capacity and could lift a 3 yard bucket full a debris and mulch into a open top semi and then some....

and it would move snow like nobody's business.

Gravel Rat
04-11-2006, 03:01 PM
After spending many hours in a JCB backhoe I prolly wouldn't recomend JCB brand they seem too cheaply built.

MarcSmith
04-11-2006, 03:06 PM
other than the fenders(cheap plastic) on the 520 the one we rented for about a month or so never missed a beat. But since its europoean, parts are not cheap i woudl imagine

Gravel Rat
04-11-2006, 03:36 PM
The backhoe the interior panels were falling apart the outside panels were falling off. The little Perkins engine runs good if that JCB T.H. runs the same brakes as their Backhoes yikes not good.

MarcSmith
04-11-2006, 05:49 PM
when i was with trugreen they baught out a company that had a small jcb 4 wheel steer mini backhoe/froint end loader and the back hoe could shift from one side to the next.

We kept it one year before giving it away. the gears in the hubs kept breaking. after two of them went it was gone...it was about 2 grand per hub...thats how i know th eparts seem a bit $$$$. but as I said the 520 was a good machine, and i figure if it was a rental and it was working fine...that says alot...

JDSKIDSTEER
04-11-2006, 08:44 PM
I am DEFINATELY going and will be more than happy to drop a card in the machine. Is this something they always do? If so, why? Thanks for reminding me to "reload" my business cards before we leave. Never been to one of these things before so I am very excited, especially to be able to "play" on all of the machines. I am really looking forward to getting into the cab of some of the new "D" series excavators.

Any advice for a first time attendee?
They schedule fly ins from time to time. They like to get the customers input on future changes and also like to show them Deere's apreciation for their business. My customers are always to busy to go. I have a dirt pit out back so if I have it on the lot my customers know they can get anything I have dirty and show up around 11:00 for a free meal. My machine will not be ran. Just using to display. I am out of track units at all 7 stores. I got a CT332 open station yesterday and sold today. I wish Deere would have come out with a long time ago. You do not have to sell. People just demo and buy. I hope the owners do not figure out how easy it is.

thepawnshop
04-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Ok...I am pretty much set on one of these, so let me have your opinions, please:

Terex TH636:
http://www.terex.com/attachment.php?action=LAUNCH&nav=prod&id=e6fc4124b3ffcaeab81e6fbfb7eab7c2

Operating Weight: 21,080
Max LIft Capacity: 6,000lbs
Max Lift Height: 36'
Max Forward Reach: 21'
Payload at Max Reach: 2,000lbs
Payload at Max Height: 6,000lbs
Overall L x W x H: 22'5" x 8'6" x 8'4"
Turn Radius: 12'11"
Foam Filled Tires: Standard
Delivery Date: 3 Weeks

Price: $64,500

Gehl RS6
http://www.gehl.com/const/specspg_thrs.html

Operating Weight: 22,000
Max LIft Capacity: 6,600lbs
Max Lift Height: 42'
Max Forward Reach: 28'3"'
Payload at Max Reach: 1,000lbs
Payload at Max Height: 6,600lbs
Overall L x W x H: 19,1"" x 9'10"" x 7'11""
Turn Radius: 12'11"
Foam Filled Tires: 4k extra
Delivery Date: Unknown...must be built

Price: $73,100

They both have JD 4045T (turbocharged) 99HP engines and the rest of the specs are either the same or similar. Here are a couple of differences of note, though...

The Terex DOES NOT offer a work platform...it has to be purchased after market.
Gehl offers a remote boom control system, Terex does not...allows you to be out of the lift and still operate the boom.
Terex is sold by my JD dealer, which has AWESOME service, Gehl has no local service

Ok guys...fire away with your opinions...

MarcSmith
04-12-2006, 06:46 AM
doug you need to remember that the foam filled tires will add several lbs to the operating weight.

The work platform and remote lift capability make the vehicle much like a bucket truck. Nice option...But is the dealer service and the other extras work 10K....in price difference.....

both nice looking machines... , except for the skinny tires on terex....but I'm used to the bobcat but thats jsut me...

grasswhacker
04-12-2006, 07:02 AM
A repo'ed Versahandler was sold on Ebay for $20,500 two days ago. I have been torn between a backhoe or skid loader, but think the versahandler/telehandler might be the best choice.
Do they all take different attachments?
Are they suitable for grading or limited digging?
Can they do some land clearing, say push down small trees?

thepawnshop
04-12-2006, 07:09 AM
doug you need to remember that the foam filled tires will add several lbs to the operating weight.

both nice looking machines... , except for the skinny tires on terex....but I'm used to the bobcat but thats jsut me...

The nice thing about foam filled tires....NO FLATS!!!!!!!!

It looks to me like the Terex is a "no frills" work machine, which is fine. THe Gehl DOES NOT have dealer support, but has more reach and lift capacity but it's 10k more.

thepawnshop
04-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Do they all take different attachments?
Are they suitable for grading or limited digging?
Can they do some land clearing, say push down small trees?

THe Versahandler is basically a "hybrid"...part skid steer and part telehandler. The only the I didn't like about it was that it doesn't have the long reach a traditional telehandler has but it can actually dig, which most tele's are not designed for...they can move material fine, but as a whole, are not designed to dig.

Bobcat has a BUNCH of attachments for this machine: http://www.bobcat.com/products/pdf/b-1745.VersaHandler.0206.pdf

I like the Bobcat...good looking machine. Let us know which way you go.

MarcSmith
04-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I agree the 23 feet isn't the industry norm for a telehander able to lift 7klbs. but the machine is a ncie compact unit and with the proper attachments can be very versatile... All we had was the forks, 1.5 yard bucket and the 3 yd bucket. two scoop and the f450 is loaded with mulch, and about 30 minutes to load up 50 ' open top tractor trailer, and about 15 minutes to load up a 30 yd rolloff.

But you really have to base some of your decision on your support, you'd hate to have breakdown and not have good dealer support.

RockSet N' Grade
04-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Gonna add my 2 cents worth. When I first started out in business 33 years ago, I aquired alot of stuff. I had a 50 man framing crew, 30 man painting crew.....etc. I was trading alot of money.....I was trying to do it all, and really getting nowhere. I was fortunate enough to have a mentor named Mr. Woods who runs a manufacturing plant here in the US and several plants in Germany...he manufacturers replacement lenses for the human eye. He has lots of free time and is well-to-do beyond belief and very reclusive. His nugget that he gave me for business is simply: The cheapest commodity you can buy for your business is the best help you can afford. In short, I modified my business down to a secretary, foreman and myself and hired licensed subcontractors to do all my work......got rid of all my trappings and streamlined and concentrated on what I could do best to maximize my time. Money began to stick, my business grew, I had free time and was able to forget about money as the primary force in my life......that was 15 years ago.
That's just me and what I have learned from the school of hard knocks.....Pawnshop, I see alot of what you are doing as what I did some time ago......I wish you the best, and I hope I came across that way.....

thepawnshop
04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Rock Set, I see what you are saying, and if I am correct, your advice is to not buy so much equipment, but to hire the guys that already have it. I agree there is quite a bit of truth to that, but I am not buying JUST to make money, but because I enjoy using it and have the expendable income to justify it...I really like playing in the dirt!

Though sometimes I wonder what the hell I am thinking covered head to toe in dirt....I do take your post as sincere and I appreciate it.

RockSet N' Grade
04-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Pawnshop, when I ran one of my companies I worked out a deal with my demo contractor. He would deliever one or two pieces of equipment at least 4 days early to a job and I would play on them and make a mess. He would then come in, do the work and on to the next one. I got to spend more seat time on more equipment that way than I would have by purchasing a specific unit, which I would have tired of in no time at all......and minimal added expense to me, which I would just tack onto the job cost anyways.....BUT, if ya gotta have it 'cause ya can, go for it. We got a guy next door who just bought a horse areana, cemented it and climate controled it for his "toys". He collects and restores very rare and vintage cars and turns them into concours condition. Another neighbor has a full time staff restoring old farm tractors.....he's got about 40 plus machines in various stages........once the bug hits ya it can be alot of fun......

MarcSmith
04-13-2006, 06:59 AM
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/sale/sale_gifts_more/18534.aspx

I have considered getting one of these on several occassions....But I get enough seat time behind the desk...

Scag48
04-13-2006, 10:11 AM
I built one of those things!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/DSC_00881.jpg

thepawnshop
04-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Damn, Scag...I think I see a Deere in your toy box!!!!!!!! I knew you were secretly longing to own a JD!

Scag48
04-13-2006, 02:11 PM
I've tried to own a Deere, 3 times in fact, but I guess the Deere dealer doesn't want to sell me a machine. By the time they get done scratching themselves, my Cat guy will have a list of machines to buy, we'll sign the dotted line and be on our way. It's a fast moving world and this Deere dealer just doesn't have it. It really is too bad because I liked the 310G I rented last year.

Tigerotor77W
04-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Damn, Scag...I think I see a Deere in your toy box!!!!!!!! I knew you were secretly longing to own a JD!

That's a Hitachi. :p

(just kidding! don't kill me, please... :cry: )

Scag48
04-13-2006, 09:06 PM
I like your style Xing! Hahaha.

thepawnshop
04-13-2006, 09:54 PM
No fair...gettin double teamed here!