PDA

View Full Version : Rental Stores

O'Dell Equipment Rental
04-11-2006, 12:30 PM
What equipment or attachments do you look for most often at rental stores? Do you want particular brands when you rent? ( mini backhoes, skid steers, etc. )

As a rental store what would I need to do, or offer to get and keep your business. ( all hypothetical, I don't think any of you are really that close to me)

thanks in advance

janb
04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
today...I'm looking for an 'arm-type' backhoe skid attachment (www.skidsteersolutions.com)

While I don't think they are the best backhoe, (and pretty tough on skids for continued use) it would be ideal for a tank I need to dig out of a small garage (that I can't fit into) The site is too far away (110miles,) to haul both my Skid and excavator, and I need to do a lot w/ the skid (brush mowing)

for rental info, I note there is concern about cross contamination of Hyd Fluids with attachments. I would devise a 'bleed-off' system to replace fluids between rentals, or to allow those who are concerned to do it themselves.

generally we like stuff that is servicable, (we don't have to repair / endure downtime) quick to get, and convenient (delivery would be nice)

I could see a harley rake as a good attachment to rent (infrequent use)

bobcat9957
04-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Around here (Massachusetts) I know alot of people rent sweepers, hammers, and stump grinders (work much better on hi-flow).

JDSKIDSTEER
04-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Around here (Massachusetts) I know alot of people rent sweepers, hammers, and stump grinders (work much better on hi-flow).Most of our rental companies in North Alabama rent Auger attachments, Harley rakes, & pallet forks. Most owners of skid steers purchase these, but some rent. I have one rental house who rents trencher, bush hog and brush grapple. The operators on this site can help you better than I can. What do you guys want to rent?

BCF
04-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Keep your auger teeth and chipper blades sharp, or at least better than plastic spoon dull. Don't charge triple to going price for a gallon of fuel. Keep keep, working equipment. If you're gonna load a bigger piece of eqiuoment on my trailer, or even yours, load it right. After you load the equipment wrong, after you assure me it's ok, and something gets F'ed up on the way to my jobsite, don't try and act like I can't load a trailer right. Sorry, kind of a sore spot with the big rental place around here.

thepawnshop
04-12-2006, 12:38 AM
For the time being, I rent hammers whenever I need one. In fact, I rented one Friday. I used it for 30 minutes and they charged me $150 bucks! What a racket!

gammon landscaping
04-12-2006, 01:17 AM
harley rakes, rockhounds,augers,hammers,trenchers,brushcat bushhog. all of these for skid steer. i rent most of my stuff from the cat dealer for two reasons 1. they are close 2. the cat work tools. they are made very well. i know there is another rental house around here that rents cat stuff because the cat sellsman sells to them at cost so that people will try it out and then come buy his stuff. just a thought if you are looking for a dealer. keep skids with both controls, people are picky about this. if you don't believe me just reed the posts. and keep attachments. other that these the only other things that i have rented are dingos, straw blowers, water pumps, gas powered cutoff saws. oh yea one thing that i always want to rent is a dump trailer that is bigg enough to put a skid in. i think this would be a great package for a rental store. a skid, grapple bucket, and a dump trailer just think how well this could work out for us guys

ksss
04-12-2006, 01:31 AM
I try not to rent anything. If I do it is usually a large excavator and usually from my primary equipment dealer. Although I do use rental as an opportunity to build relationships with other dealers. I will sometimes go to the Deere/Bobcat guys and rent from them. I have even been known to go to CAT and rent from them. Apparently not enough as I was shunned from the CAT open house a couple of weeks ago.:cry:

To the question at hand: I am kind of a brand specific guy. Equipment Today magazine had an article on this topic a while back. Apparently most guys are rather brand specific. Especially on Backhoes and skid steers. They will try and rent by brand their favorite machine. This can provide a challenge for an independent rental guy. There is a large Independent rental store in this area that has found a way to be everything to everyone. You want a Deere backhoe and a CASE 130 you can have it. Case skid steer and Cat backhoe you can have that too. Pretty impressive. They buy some equipment at auction and some of it new.

I think most guys want something that is mechanically sound, clean and this is me, not a stripped to the walls model. I can't stand being in a custom deluxe machine void of a suspension seat, no ride control etc. I think attachments are important and a decent money maker I would guess. With the amount of Iron out these days having a machine may not be a problem, but the right attachment may be more problematic. keep delivery rates reasonable. When there is a problem with a piece of equipment, I would send a replacement machine out with the mechanic if it is an easily transported piece of equipment (skid steer, mini ex). Downtime is a killer. Let the guy use the loaner until your mechanic either fixes the one which was rented or takes it back to the shop. Either way the customer lost the least amount of time possible. That will go along way toward building a positive reputation among contractors (I might not do that for a typical home owner depending on costs).

JDSKIDSTEER
04-12-2006, 11:46 PM
For the time being, I rent hammers whenever I need one. In fact, I rented one Friday. I used it for 30 minutes and they charged me $150 bucks! What a racket!Have you priced a hammer lately?

gammon landscaping
04-13-2006, 12:40 AM
that is nothing i rented a mini excavator last fall with a hammer and it cost me 850 for 30 mins of breaking. the contractor didn't like that bill. i didn't even charge him for my time i felt so bad

JDSKIDSTEER
04-13-2006, 06:31 AM
that is nothing i rented a mini excavator last fall with a hammer and it cost me 850 for 30 mins of breaking. the contractor didn't like that bill. i didn't even charge him for my time i felt so bad
Wow....and the rental companies wonder why contractors are buying instead of renting. Some times it is cheaper to sub work out to a friend in the business. :nono: One of my big idependent rental customers says the Cat salesman and I are putting him out of the skid steer business. Cat salesman and I are tag teaming comipition in town. I do not have joy sticks and he does not have foot controls. Works out good for both of us.

allinearth
04-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Have good clean working equipment. Have it ready to go when I get there. Get me in and out quickly. Offer fuel at a reasonable price.

gammon landscaping
04-14-2006, 12:45 AM
i was thinking about this post today and a few notes to add. clean is king. my image comes from the equipment i use wether it is mine or rental. dirty oil leaking machines are an eye sore. and my customers don't want to see me leaking hydro fluid all over there yards. and rent by the hour/half day/full day/week/month the reason that my hammer rental was so high was the i had to rent it for a whole day for half an hour of work. that is just not fair. oh yea have a good yard.....by that i mean have a place i can pull my truck and my 24' goose neck with out running over stuff or parking in the street